Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SpiceJet vx Jet Airways: is this price differential worth it?

Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:27 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

By the time I will be going from Jaipur to Udaipur on my Indian trip, I am sure I will be tired of 6 hour bumpy road trips. So I am thinking of doing this trip via air. On the day I am thinking of going (November 4), there are the following choices:

Jet airways 4:05p-5:15p, prop plane, US$203

Spice Jet 6:40p-7:50p, jet, US$64

Most important is getting there that day on a safe carrier. I will pay the heavy premium for Jet airways if there is a significant probability that it will work out noticeably better than on Spice. Reviews of Spice Jet on this forum tend to convince me that is the case. Just thought I''d take it one step further and ask the knowledgeable folks on this forum directly. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: Blasé..
Looking at the price diff - I would go with SG if times work for your schedule - 9W is not worth paying almost $140+ more! Its a considerably short flight and SG should get you from A to B without any hassle in their Q400s Dash8 too!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
both are safe....spice jet is a lcc while jet is a full service airline....but for such a short flight it doesn't matter....
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I wonder why people have the perception that flights in India are unsafe. They can be wrapped in unnecessary processes and procedures etc. for sure. But they’re no less safe than DL or UA or other major carrier (maybe except Quantas). And service levels are generally far above most US carriers.

Over such a short flight I doubt 9W serves a proper snack... so the difference between 9W (full service) and SG (LCC) is almost nothing. The only major difference I’ve found is that SG has very poor legroom. But for such a short flight with a $140 fare difference - I’d manage just fine on SG.

Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
9W has sub-$50 fares filed pretty much every date until the winter schedule opens in late October.

I'd strongly recommend waiting until 3-4 months before the flight at earliest to book. Further out than that, you're definitely not getting a good price, and schedule changes for the winter schedule might interfere with your planned itinerary.
RichardInSF and AJLondon like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.