JP Miles Partner Redemption

Old Jan 29, 18, 3:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 39
JP Miles Partner Redemption

Hi,

Need some advice, I was looking to redeem JP miles to book BOM-LHR-BOM on 9W in Y, their website was showing the cost as 85k miles + ~INR 17k in taxes. I am not sure if it is worth it considering the taxes. Is there a better alternative to redeem with a partner airline on this sector, say Virgin or UA?

Thanks.
bigapple07 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 18, 6:06 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: around the bend
Posts: 272
I think JP has (had?) a clause that says that you can't redeem on partner airlines on routes where Jet operates their own flights. I'm sure someone else here will be able to confirm/deny.
L_D_M is offline  
Old Jan 29, 18, 9:48 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Not sure about the 9W rule but 17k for an LHR return is a pretty good deal. The taxes in and esp. out of UK are horrible.
AJLondon likes this.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Jan 29, 18, 11:26 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,560
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Not sure about the 9W rule but 17k for an LHR return is a pretty good deal. The taxes in and esp. out of UK are horrible.
agreed....in the past i used to take an extra flight from lhr-bru & spend the night in a hotel there just to save on the insane uk taxes....even with the flight & hotel it still came out a lot cheaper to fly out of bru instead....

considering this, inr 17k for uk taxes is not a bad deal....
Keyser is offline  
Old Jan 30, 18, 12:43 am
  #5  
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes!
Posts: 15,451
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
inr 17k for uk taxes is not a bad deal....
Agreed - but bear in mind this for a Y redemption. Where the UK departure APD really bites is for premium cabins!
AJLondon is offline  
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:56 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Not sure about the 9W rule but 17k for an LHR return is a pretty good deal. The taxes in and esp. out of UK are horrible.
<br /><br />
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
agreed....in the past i used to take an extra flight from lhr-bru &amp; spend the night in a hotel there just to save on the insane uk taxes....even with the flight &amp; hotel it still came out a lot cheaper to fly out of bru instead....<br /><br />considering this, inr 17k for uk taxes is not a bad deal....
<br /><br />Thanks for your inputs PiperAtGatesofDawn , Keyser<br />yeah UK Taxes are indeed insane, out of 17k ~3k is for BOM-LHR and ~14k is for LHR-BOM<br />There doesn't seem to be a rule explicitly disallowing same-route partner redemptions, but the JP website does not offer any of the same routes in the drop down list when you check for partner award redemption.
bigapple07 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 18, 1:52 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by bigapple07 View Post
There doesn't seem to be a rule explicitly disallowing same-route partner redemptions, but the JP website does not offer any of the same routes in the drop down list when you check for partner award redemption.
Iím not sure what the issue with the Jet Privilege website is... it doesnít show BOM to LHR or YYZ for example - probably a configuration issue. The website does show BOM to AMS (Jet hub), HKG, DXB, AUH etc. etc.

Once again not sure about Jet policies but most airlines that allow online awards booking for partners will show routes on their metal first (no matter how many more stops / time it takes) and show partner options (even if theyíre direct and faster) last. So partner bookings on their routes are always allowed - but thatís for the big 3 alliances. Jet may have different rules but Iíve never heard of this being the case.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:21 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,560
Originally Posted by bigapple07 View Post
There doesn't seem to be a rule explicitly disallowing same-route partner redemptions, but the JP website does not offer any of the same routes in the drop down list when you check for partner award redemption.
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
So partner bookings on their routes are always allowed - but thatís for the big 3 alliances. Jet may have different rules but Iíve never heard of this being the case.
jet do have this rule in place & have had so for as long as i can remember....i've tried in the past to book award tickets on partner airlines on routes like del-dxb & del-lhr but jet wouldn't allow it saying that they don't allow their own miles to be used on routes that they operate on themselves....
Keyser is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 4:12 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
jet do have this rule in place & have had so for as long as i can remember....i've tried in the past to book award tickets on partner airlines on routes like del-dxb & del-lhr but jet wouldn't allow it saying that they don't allow their own miles to be used on routes that they operate on themselves....
Wow... I'm seeing more and more reasons to not credit miles to 9W. Their international redemption rates are terrible too. Domestic redemption is better than AI but still very average.

Why would one credit miles to 9W? Unaware of options, trying for status (should be handful of people)?
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Feb 4, 18, 8:54 pm
  #10  
A2A
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: www.livefromalounge.com
Programs: AA, BASilver, 9WPlat, PCGold, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattExplorist, EYGold, AI
Posts: 2,214
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
jet do have this rule in place & have had so for as long as i can remember....i've tried in the past to book award tickets on partner airlines on routes like del-dxb & del-lhr but jet wouldn't allow it saying that they don't allow their own miles to be used on routes that they operate on themselves....
not correct. I know of people who have booked DEL-LHR on VS on JPMiles
A2A is offline  
Old Feb 4, 18, 9:11 pm
  #11  
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes!
Posts: 15,451
Originally Posted by A2A View Post
not correct. I know of people who have booked DEL-LHR on VS on JPMiles
Agreed. Same here.

Maybe it just needs to be on a date where there is no availability on the Jet flight.....
AJLondon is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:41 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,560
Originally Posted by A2A View Post
not correct. I know of people who have booked DEL-LHR on VS on JPMiles
the last time i tried was a couple of years ago so don't know if this is a recent change but i have been denied multiple times in the past by the jp team stating that they don't allow this if they have their own flights flying the same route....
Keyser is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:50 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: around the bend
Posts: 272
Ditto - I've been presented with partner redemption itineraries on EK in the past where they've said that I'd need to make other arrangements for the BOM-DXB leg, since Jet operates their own flights on that route.
L_D_M is offline  
Old Apr 10, 18, 3:47 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BOM
Programs: 9WPlat
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by L_D_M View Post
Ditto - I've been presented with partner redemption itineraries on EK in the past where they've said that I'd need to make other arrangements for the BOM-DXB leg, since Jet operates their own flights on that route.
That was because the 9W-EK tie up specifically said you cannot earn and burn JP Miles on EK's india sectors.

Similarly right now with CX you can not earn and burn on HKG-India routes.

Other than CX(EK-JP partnership has ended) you can earn and burn on other carriers same routes as 9W. Like DEL-LHR on VS, India-AUH on EY.
BOMflyer is offline  
Old Apr 10, 18, 4:36 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by BOMflyer View Post
That was because the 9W-EK tie up specifically said you cannot earn and burn JP Miles on EK's india sectors.

Similarly right now with CX you can not earn and burn on HKG-India routes.
You cannot earn on EK and CX? I think you mean only burn.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread