Wiki Posts
Search

JP Miles Partner Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:05 am
Original Poster

JP Miles Partner Redemption

Hi,

Need some advice, I was looking to redeem JP miles to book BOM-LHR-BOM on 9W in Y, their website was showing the cost as 85k miles + ~INR 17k in taxes. I am not sure if it is worth it considering the taxes. Is there a better alternative to redeem with a partner airline on this sector, say Virgin or UA?

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:06 am

I think JP has (had?) a clause that says that you can't redeem on partner airlines on routes where Jet operates their own flights. I'm sure someone else here will be able to confirm/deny.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Not sure about the 9W rule but 17k for an LHR return is a pretty good deal. The taxes in and esp. out of UK are horrible.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Not sure about the 9W rule but 17k for an LHR return is a pretty good deal. The taxes in and esp. out of UK are horrible.
agreed....in the past i used to take an extra flight from lhr-bru & spend the night in a hotel there just to save on the insane uk taxes....even with the flight & hotel it still came out a lot cheaper to fly out of bru instead....

considering this, inr 17k for uk taxes is not a bad deal....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:43 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Keyser
inr 17k for uk taxes is not a bad deal....
Agreed - but bear in mind this for a Y redemption. Where the UK departure APD really bites is for premium cabins!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:56 am
Original Poster

<br /><br />
agreed....in the past i used to take an extra flight from lhr-bru &amp; spend the night in a hotel there just to save on the insane uk taxes....even with the flight &amp; hotel it still came out a lot cheaper to fly out of bru instead....<br /><br />considering this, inr 17k for uk taxes is not a bad deal....
<br /><br />Thanks for your inputs PiperAtGatesofDawn , Keyser<br />yeah UK Taxes are indeed insane, out of 17k ~3k is for BOM-LHR and ~14k is for LHR-BOM<br />There doesn't seem to be a rule explicitly disallowing same-route partner redemptions, but the JP website does not offer any of the same routes in the drop down list when you check for partner award redemption.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by bigapple07
There doesn't seem to be a rule explicitly disallowing same-route partner redemptions, but the JP website does not offer any of the same routes in the drop down list when you check for partner award redemption.
I’m not sure what the issue with the Jet Privilege website is... it doesn’t show BOM to LHR or YYZ for example - probably a configuration issue. The website does show BOM to AMS (Jet hub), HKG, DXB, AUH etc. etc.

Once again not sure about Jet policies but most airlines that allow online awards booking for partners will show routes on their metal first (no matter how many more stops / time it takes) and show partner options (even if they’re direct and faster) last. So partner bookings on their routes are always allowed - but that’s for the big 3 alliances. Jet may have different rules but I’ve never heard of this being the case.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bigapple07
There doesn't seem to be a rule explicitly disallowing same-route partner redemptions, but the JP website does not offer any of the same routes in the drop down list when you check for partner award redemption.
So partner bookings on their routes are always allowed - but that’s for the big 3 alliances. Jet may have different rules but I’ve never heard of this being the case.
jet do have this rule in place & have had so for as long as i can remember....i've tried in the past to book award tickets on partner airlines on routes like del-dxb & del-lhr but jet wouldn't allow it saying that they don't allow their own miles to be used on routes that they operate on themselves....
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:12 am

jet do have this rule in place & have had so for as long as i can remember....i've tried in the past to book award tickets on partner airlines on routes like del-dxb & del-lhr but jet wouldn't allow it saying that they don't allow their own miles to be used on routes that they operate on themselves....
Wow... I'm seeing more and more reasons to not credit miles to 9W. Their international redemption rates are terrible too. Domestic redemption is better than AI but still very average.

Why would one credit miles to 9W? Unaware of options, trying for status (should be handful of people)?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:54 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
not correct. I know of people who have booked DEL-LHR on VS on JPMiles
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by A2A
Agreed. Same here.

Maybe it just needs to be on a date where there is no availability on the Jet flight.....
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A2A
the last time i tried was a couple of years ago so don't know if this is a recent change but i have been denied multiple times in the past by the jp team stating that they don't allow this if they have their own flights flying the same route....
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:50 am

Ditto - I've been presented with partner redemption itineraries on EK in the past where they've said that I'd need to make other arrangements for the BOM-DXB leg, since Jet operates their own flights on that route.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: 9WPlat
Originally Posted by L_D_M
Ditto - I've been presented with partner redemption itineraries on EK in the past where they've said that I'd need to make other arrangements for the BOM-DXB leg, since Jet operates their own flights on that route.
That was because the 9W-EK tie up specifically said you cannot earn and burn JP Miles on EK's india sectors.

Similarly right now with CX you can not earn and burn on HKG-India routes.

Other than CX(EK-JP partnership has ended) you can earn and burn on other carriers same routes as 9W. Like DEL-LHR on VS, India-AUH on EY.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by BOMflyer
That was because the 9W-EK tie up specifically said you cannot earn and burn JP Miles on EK's india sectors.

Similarly right now with CX you can not earn and burn on HKG-India routes.
You cannot earn on EK and CX? I think you mean only burn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.