Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Upgrading J to F, CDG-BOM: how many vouchers?

Upgrading J to F, CDG-BOM: how many vouchers?

Old Jan 27, 18, 11:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: around the bend
Posts: 271
Upgrading J to F, CDG-BOM: how many vouchers?

I've called Jet Airways twice about this. The first time I was told I needed three vouchers - I didn't have the voucher numbers to hand at the time. The second time, I was quoted five. As far as I'm aware, one voucher equals 1500 miles of distance, so three should be plenty for CDG-BOM. Anyone know for sure? The booking is in P, if that matters. Thanks.
L_D_M is offline  
Old Jan 28, 18, 12:29 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,549
i believe its 5 vouchers to upgrade from première to first....not worth it in my opinion....
Keyser is online now  
Old Jan 28, 18, 6:25 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: around the bend
Posts: 271
Yeah, definitely not worth five, though I'd use them if I had five, just to get rid of them. Pretty poor value using them for domestic upgrades - which is, of course, what Jet wants people to do.
L_D_M is offline  
Old Feb 17, 18, 9:55 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Three. Done it once.
cexsn35ccpb is offline  
Old Feb 19, 18, 3:17 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: around the bend
Posts: 271
Okay. Do you remember if it's variable based on booking fare class?
L_D_M is offline  
Old Feb 19, 18, 6:25 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
It should be 5 for J to F. And it's 3 from Y to J. It doesn't vary depending on the fare booking class though there are some class related restrictions.

Question - why would you want to do this upgrade? Based on everything that I've read - F is very very marginally better than J on 9W. It seems like a total waste of vouchers... unless they're expiring.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Feb 19, 18 at 6:55 am
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Feb 19, 18, 7:52 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: around the bend
Posts: 271
They are expiring, yes. And I'd rather use three vouchers for an upgrade like this rather than use them for three domestic legs. I don't have five vouchers to hand, so that's out of the question.

Do you know if the Jet Airways site specifies five for J to F? From what I can see, a single voucher gives you a one-cabin upgrade for 1500 miles of flown distance, by which reckoning it ought to be three for BOM-CDG.
L_D_M is offline  
Old Feb 19, 18, 6:44 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
It should be 5 for J to F. And it's 3 from Y to J. It doesn't vary depending on the fare booking class though there are some class related restrictions.

Question - why would you want to do this upgrade? Based on everything that I've read - F is very very marginally better than J on 9W. It seems like a total waste of vouchers... unless they're expiring.
correct. I upgraded Y to J with 3 vouchers.
cexsn35ccpb is offline  
Old Feb 19, 18, 10:29 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by L_D_M View Post
They are expiring, yes. And I'd rather use three vouchers for an upgrade like this rather than use them for three domestic legs. I don't have five vouchers to hand, so that's out of the question.

Do you know if the Jet Airways site specifies five for J to F? From what I can see, a single voucher gives you a one-cabin upgrade for 1500 miles of flown distance, by which reckoning it ought to be three for BOM-CDG.
1500 miles / voucher applies to Y to J only. Minimum redemption in F starts at 3 vouchers for 1500 miles and then goes up an additional voucher per 1500-2000 miles.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Feb 20, 18, 12:15 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goa, India
Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Posts: 972
5 vouchers for J to F on CDG-BOM. Look at the back of the voucher, there is a second column for J to F upgrades.
Anish is offline  
Old Feb 20, 18, 7:55 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: around the bend
Posts: 271
Brilliant. I thought JP miles were pretty cheap, but five vouchers for a Europe-Ind upgrade takes the cake.
L_D_M is offline  
Old Feb 21, 18, 7:37 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by L_D_M View Post
Brilliant. I thought JP miles were pretty cheap, but five vouchers for a Europe-Ind upgrade takes the cake.
But that was always the case... international redemptions on both 9W and AI really and truly suck. If you do a lot of international travel with awards / upgrades it’s always better to get on a foreign airlines program. ​

The only redemption sweet spot for 9W vouchers seems to be BOM/DEL - AUH/DXB in J.

And you’re still better off on 9W compared to AI where a Mahraja (75k miles from a most stingy rewards program) gets 3 domestic upgrade vouchers that expire in 6 months (without any class restrictions though).
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread