Which airline Mumbai to Kochi (+ return)

Old Jan 23, 18, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Which airline Mumbai to Kochi (+ return)

Hi I am going to Kerala in March and flying via Mumbai as Qatar flights way too expensive this time. I will be flying BA. Which airline should I use to fly between Mumbai and Kochi? Flying biz from London but need a cost effective and efficient route down as flying economy. Please could you recommend the airline that I should use - have heard reasonable Kingís about Indigo, Jet appears so so and Aur India seems to be no go. Very keen to get something reliable with disruptions to a minimum is minimal delays. Likely I will need to pay extra for luggage etc. Do airlines offer priority boarding in India at a cost and can one buy lounge access at Mumbai and Kochi airports. Any advice very very gratefully received - thank you
Old Jan 23, 18, 8:05 pm

If it's a toss up between Jet and Indigo, I'd say go with Jet - if only to avoid having to change terminals (and there's no shuttle service between the terminals now). Bear in mind, though, that Jet's three nonstop flights to COK are all between 6am and 2pm or so, while Indigo has four flights between 9am and 11.15pm. Both airlines allow you to purchase priority check-in (but not priority boarding). If flying business class on Jet, you will have access to the nice GVK lounge in T2. If not, there is a new TFS lounge at T1, I think, which offers access via Priority Pass. No idea about lounges in Kochi.
Old Jan 24, 18, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you I had planned to spend the night at the airport and fly to Kochi the following day to avoid delays etc. Thank ylu
Old Jan 24, 18, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its a short flight & at the end of the day it doesn't matter which airline you take....my order of preference would be jet, air india & then indigo because you don't have to change terminals if using the first 2....just go with whichever one is cheapest....
Old Jan 24, 18, 3:19 am
Original Poster

I was planning on staying at the Taj Santa Cruz overnight. I really donít want to cope with serious delays and flight cancellations and will have 30kgs if baggage which I would like to arrive with me! And with a whole suitcase (bad experience of Emirates in J). Is Air India any good? I have heard the worst stories about them;? I was thinking Jet or Indigo? Any view on either or both pleas and thank you much appreciated
Old Jan 24, 18, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CharlotteC View Post
Is Air India any good? I have heard the worst stories about them;? I was thinking Jet or Indigo? Any view on either or both pleas and thank you much appreciated
air india is fine for such a short flight....they are never my first choice but i still end up taking about 75+ flights with them every year because most of the routes i fly they are either the only or the best choice in terms of timing....

jet is generally a better option than ai but if i'm not mistaken you will have a better baggage allowance with ai....i had 50+ flights with them last year & don't have any reason to complain....

indigo i haven't flown in years so won't be able to comment there....
Old Jan 24, 18, 4:08 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I don't know what stories you've heard/read about AI but their flight disruptions and baggage loss etc. is no better or worse than any other major airline. Though I travel extensively on AI, UA for instance has delayed my baggage many many many more times than AI ever has. BA has lost/delayed my family's luggage a few times too. Point I'm trying to make here is that these things should not be points for consideration when you're booking on 9W, 6E or AI because these airlines are no better or worse than any other major airline today especially flying nonstop. Although understandably it can be really frustrating when you're that 1 person in 100000 (or whatever the number is) whose luggage is lost when you're on holiday.

BOM is operating at almost peak capacity so there might be delays (for all airlines) flying out of there or landing there.

Flight timings & in-flight services etc. would be what I'd look for. Operational efficiencies of 6E > 9W > AI. Services of 9W > AI > 6E. Taj Santa Cruz is in the airport 6E flies out from. The AI & 9W airport is about 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic. AI will give you more weight allowance (25kgs) vs 15kgs on 9W & 6E. You can use those savings to upgrade yourself to J on AI by buying an upgrade at the airport for Rs.6,700 if available. That way you'll get all the priority check-ins, lounge access (BOM J lounge is much better than the paid ones) etc. that you want. This would save you some money vs. paying separately for luggage + priority + lounge.

Otherwise you'll need a Priority Pass / Diners Club / cash to access lounges at BOM. As is with almost all paid airport lounges - they aren't VFM at all for just grabbing a bite to eat. The food court / airport restaurants in BOM is a much better place to spend your money and save a bit. No idea about COK lounges.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jan 24, 18 at 7:12 am
Old Jan 27, 18, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Hello Iíve changed my plans to fly into and out of Chennai so will be flying to Kochi through Chennai rather than Mumbai as the flights are a lot cheaper. What are the best flights from MAA to Kochi and return? Indigo, Spicejet etc? I will have luggage and am aiming to spend two nights near Chennai on either side of the flight from London
Old Jan 28, 18, 11:45 pm

Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
I'd pick Indigo over Spicejet for better on time performance. Both airlines allow 15kgs of free checked luggage, you can pre-book more luggage online.
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Finally what is the best time to fly? I was thinking of around 11ish not too horridly an early start... are the planes more likely to be cancelled or too full
then? Sorry am an India internal flight new year?

Search this Thread