Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Where will the immigration happen for Air India AI127 flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Heyy Guys,

If anyone has recently travelled from Bangalore to Chicago through Air India flights, please share your experience & help me with the answers to the below mentioned questions.

I would be travelling from Bangalore to Chicago via New Delhi . The Air India flight AI173 is from Bangalore to Delhi & AI127 is from Delhi to Chicago. The transit time is only two hour.

The questions are:

1) Where will the immigration happen? Will it be in Bengaluru or Delhi ?
2) Is 2 hour enough for transit?

Thanks ,
Gulshan
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:21 am

Immigration will happen in Bangalore. Dont worry - 2 hours is enough. AI will make sure you board the other flight.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gbaral001
2) Is 2 hour enough for transit?
when you land in del there will probably be someone waiting at the gate to help transit passengers....if not then just follow the crowd towards the exit & you will see the transfers area....if your flight is on time then 2 hours is plenty time to transit....if for some reason your flight is delayed then ai will put you on another flight to ord so you don't need to worry....
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:16 pm

Don't want to confuse the first time poster. But strictly speaking, immigration will happen neither in BLR nor DEL, it will happen in Chicago.

I guess pax is confusing emigration with immigration. (former is at exit point and the latter is at an entry point)

Keyser is as usual right on the money that 2 hr is plenty transit time if BLR flight is on time. (but that is big IF with any airline let alone air india)

Aviation pax rights in India are weak to non-existent and mostly work on goodwill basis.
You will be certainly put on SOME connecting flight to chicago or next day's air india flight. (airline staff have significant leeway in this regard in India)

In your shoes, I have always booked an earlier flight.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Immigration will happen in Bangalore. Dont worry - 2 hours is enough. AI will make sure you board the other flight.
+1 - AI173 is an international connector (BLR-DEL-SFO) which would mean your immigration wd be in BLR and a simple transit in DEL - As mentioned by Keyser, you wd definitely find AI staff looking out for different pax for JFK/ORD/LHR etc.

Totally relaxed and easy connection! (And AI173 is seldom late)
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:43 am

I remember being once told that AI flights starting with 0,1,2,3 and 9 are treated as international flights (3 digit flight number).

With this in mind, here are the rules for outbound from India -
Flight starting with 0,1,2,3 or 9 connecting to a flight with the same prefix - emigration at the origin
Flight starting with 4,5,6,7 or 8 connecting to a 0,1,2,3 or 9 flight - at the transit point

The same rules apply for inbound travel -
Connecting to a 0,1,2,3 or 9 flight - immigration at destination
Connecting to a 4,5,6,7 or 8 flight - immigration at transit

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.