IndiGo Manhandles Cursing Passenger

Old Nov 7, 17, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
IndiGo Manhandles Cursing Passenger

Seems like this Mr. Katyal couldn't bear to wait to get home to his wife

Mr Katyal, visibly agitated, seems to be arguing over the late arrival of the coach, to which the ground staff ask him to refrain from using curses.

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/indi...-lateststories
Old Nov 7, 17, 5:15 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, 9W, AZ, TK, HHonors, BW.
It's now on International TV and other websites. There has also been an incident related with a sport person with 6E.

The unique video illustrates 6E goons demonstrating skills of throat wringing on verge of murdering their valued guest on the apron. Looks like such incidents happen in India everywhere & people are getting used to it.

Thankful I am not flying with truly cheap 6E/9W/SG in future when looking back years of their shabby ranting service. India is a no-go place which is best avoided if you care to return back alive!

Last edited by LH757; Nov 8, 17 at 4:59 am
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Well done Indigo, instead of taking action against the staff member who physically assaulted the lax, you guys sack the guy taking a video of it.

Charming mafioso behaviour.....
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:20 am

Yes. I confidently conclude that out of all my visits over the globe the most disrespectful, over-enthusiastic, ill-tempered airline / ground personnel can only be found in Incredible India!

Last edited by LH757; Nov 8, 17 at 4:58 am
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by LH757 View Post
Looks like such incidents happen in India everywhere only.
i assume you haven't heard of the dr. dao incident????
deovrat likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Yes. I confidently conclude that out of all my visits over the globe the most disrespectful, over-enthusiastic, ill-tempered airline / ground personnel can only be found in Incredible India!
i've come across my fair share of disrespectful staff in india but in all my travels nothing beats the uk in this regard....

also, not defending the airline (in fact, i pretty much dislike indigo) but its not always the fault of the staff....

last night i was flying blr-del on 9w & the staff announced a passenger's name at the boarding gate & informed him that he was carrying a power bank in his checked-in bag & since that was not allowed he had 2 choices, either to take a later flight with his bag or the bag would be sent on another flight after the power bank had been removed....

the passenger got extremely agitated & started cursing the agent & the airline....the agent kept trying to explain that it was a safety issue & all passengers are informed during both booking & check-in that power banks are not allowed in checked-in baggage....he also said that its not the airline but airport security that scans the bags & if a prohibited item is found then they do not allow that bag to be loaded on the plane....

but the passenger continued to scream & curse....this went on for 10 minutes & boarding had to be delayed....finally security intervened & the passenger calmed down when he saw a bunch of security personals being called....

this whole time the agent was very professional even though the passenger was trying to get in his face....
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:54 am

Last edited by LH757; Nov 14, 17 at 2:10 am
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Thankful I am not flying with truly cheap 6E/9W/SG in future when looking back years of their shabby ranting service. India is a no-go place which is best avoided if you care to return back alive!
I go to India thrice a year-- have been for over ten years-- and travel there, so...

Hyperbole, much? Is there a place called LGA on your globe?

Great job Indigo you made news on BBC & CNN.

Foreign airlines should think twice before committing any SkyTeam, etc. alliances with these junkies!
FYI, don't bank on airline alliances chancing upon your post here. If they do, lament that you didn't buy the lottery instead.

IMO, this is nothing you ought to raise your BP over. The employee's act is reprehensible, but your painting an entire nation with that same brush is a tad manic.
Old Nov 8, 17, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by d3vski View Post
Well done Indigo, instead of taking action against the staff member who physically assaulted the lax, you guys sack the guy taking a video of it.

Charming mafioso behaviour.....
Apparently, the guy recording the video is the same guy telling the other employees to prevent the pax from boarding the bus. According to 6E, he was sacked because he was a baggage handling supervisor who had no business interfering in this event.

In contrast, 6E is saying that the staff member who got in a wrestling match with the pax was attacked first and was acting in self defense.

Not sure if I buy the argument, but their actions make a lot more sense if this is what they truly believe.
Old Nov 8, 17, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in View Post
The employee's act is reprehensible, but your painting an entire nation with that same brush is a tad manic.
couldn't agree more....
Old Nov 9, 17, 6:13 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
PDF of the Indigo chief's letter to Aviation minister with the airlines version of events.

Seems to be a very detailed letter with pictures etc from the video.
​​​​​

http://docdro.id/llUts28
Old Nov 9, 17, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I’m not entirely sure what the Indigo ground staff were trying to achieve by preventing him from getting on the bus. After all, this was an arriving flight and surely detaining a pax on the apron of a live operational airfield is irrational.

If what indigo claim is correct, it appears to be a classic case of “seniors know best”.....and that is something that is real cultural problem in India.

The two guys acted irrationally by following an irrational order and I can only put that down to cultural bias.
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Are airline employees within their rights to detain a passenger on the tarmac? If yes, then should the passenger not know why they are being held back? And if no, then as soon as these three employees took it upon themselves to act in a manner not within their authority, would the blame not lay squarely on their airline?

Now, this Mr. Katyal, should certainly not have taken the first shot, but if one watches the video, (from which the airline has chosen the most convenient screen shots to use in the letter to the Ministry), it is easy to see that the longest portion of the physical confrontation has two airline employees on one passenger. That is not ok in any circumstance.
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Just watched the video again. There is no conclusive proof that Mr. Katyal hit the employee blocking the door (as the letter from the airline to the Ministry states). Unless there is another video, the one in the NDTV story shows the passenger being pulled back by the second employee in the video.

Also, if you understand Hindi, you will hear that the airline employees give the man no reason to detain him and have taken it upon themselves to hold back Katyal in the infamous Delhi/ Haryana street justice style, in order to extract, presumably, an apology for a curse he may have thrown prior to the video recording being made. At least one of them is very rude in the way he is speaking. The line of questioning from the very beginning is actually quite funny, when one of the employees tells Katyal, "you should curse according to your age.", much to the confusion of a befuddled Mr. Katyal, as seen in the video at that moment.

The employees are clearly at fault here. All three of them. I don't know what measure of justice Mr. Katyal gets from the legal system or the airline, but this sort of treatment is entirely unjustifiable.
AJLondon likes this.

Search this Thread