Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India Upgrade: Anyone Tried UFS/bid/GUU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I'm thinking of upgrading my AI economy ticket on DEL-NRT sector to business class availing "UFS" (Upgrade for Sure).

It's a bit confusing because there is another upgrade scheme called "Get Upfront Upgrades" and both of them can only be done if there is an empty seat available within 24hrs of departure. The difference according to AI site seems that UFS is actually re-issuing the ticket to the eligible business class RBD, where as the latter GUU only issues EMD hence the mileage earning is only possible for the original booked class. Funny enough, both charge the same amount, so it's much better to upgrade through UFS.

I'm thinking of doing this at the airport itself. Has anyone tried UFS before? Was it easy to get it done?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've never used ufs but i have used the get upfront scheme a bunch of times & its been pretty painless....i'm assuming ufs will be the same....

just go to the booking counter & let them know you want to upgrade....they check availability & then process the upgrade....if you have an agent who knows what they are doing then it takes 5-10 minutes....
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
I think the main feature of UFS is that you/your TA can upgrade and re-issue the ticket before you even arrive at the airport.

Once you're at the airport there isn't any difference between the two.

I used Get Upfront on FCO-DEL yesterday and it was very easy and super quick, took about 15 mins in all.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
i've never used ufs but i have used the get upfront scheme a bunch of times & its been pretty painless....i'm assuming ufs will be the same....

just go to the booking counter & let them know you want to upgrade....they check availability & then process the upgrade....if you have an agent who knows what they are doing then it takes 5-10 minutes....
Thanks for sharing the experience. I'm more concerned about earning extra miles so I'll try best to stick to UFS.

Originally Posted by Anish
I think the main feature of UFS is that you/your TA can upgrade and re-issue the ticket before you even arrive at the airport.

Once you're at the airport there isn't any difference between the two.

I used Get Upfront on FCO-DEL yesterday and it was very easy and super quick, took about 15 mins in all.
Thanks for the input. Even though the website says one can still apply for UFS at airport ticketing offices, it may be possible that the agents are mostly just used to GUU and there could be some confusion. As you've pointed, it seems safer to just to do it at city office on the day of travelling.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:06 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by sushimaru
I'm thinking of upgrading my AI economy ticket on DEL-NRT sector to business class availing "UFS" (Upgrade for Sure).

It's a bit confusing because there is another upgrade scheme called "Get Upfront Upgrades" and both of them can only be done if there is an empty seat available within 24hrs of departure. The difference according to AI site seems that UFS is actually re-issuing the ticket to the eligible business class RBD, where as the latter GUU only issues EMD hence the mileage earning is only possible for the original booked class. Funny enough, both charge the same amount, so it's much better to upgrade through UFS.

I'm thinking of doing this at the airport itself. Has anyone tried UFS before? Was it easy to get it done?
From what I could understand from their website, UFS is for international flights, GUU is for domestic flights. So one wouldn't really have a choice on which offer they use. There is only one offer, based on your ticket type...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
From what I could understand from their website, UFS is for international flights, GUU is for domestic flights. So one wouldn't really have a choice on which offer they use. There is only one offer, based on your ticket type...
I see UFS is for intl. flights only, and GUU is for both intl. and domestic. It does specifically mention that for GUU only the original booking class's mileage earning rate is applicable and only when booking class Z is available (when Y to C), where as for UFS the ticket is actually reissued to Z,D,or C,so there seems more chance on this one. At least, that's the message I get from the website.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Please do let us know your experience with UFS at the airport.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
guu is for both....i have used it on domestic as well as international tickets....
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anish
Please do let us know your experience with UFS at the airport.
Hi Anish, I've decided that I'd just stick with economy as the seats are wide-open and I'm likely to get the whole block of three seats by myself, where as business class seems more packed.

Otherwise, I would asked at the airport ticketing office at Delhi Airport (apparently there are two at the either end of the terminal near visitor's waiting room), but not at the check-in counter as that'll likely to upgrade based on GUU.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Anyone has experience doing this on IAD-DEL flight? Is the ticket counter at Dulles able to handle either of the upgrade methods mentioned above?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: united
Isn't it cheaper to buy a biz class ticket instead of UFS?

sfo del round trip is roughly $1000 in economy.
UFS is either 1200 or 1300 per leg (not clear). Lets say 1200.
Round trip is 2400. Plus 1000 = 3400. You can buy a biz class ticket for that amount or within $200 of that.
What am I missing?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wall2main
Round trip is 2400. Plus 1000 = 3400. You can buy a biz class ticket for that amount or within $200 of that.
What am I missing?
when planning ahead its always going to be better to buy a business class ticket....these type of schemes are good for people who want to upgrade one way or upgrade at the last minute when business class fares would be a lot higher....
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by wall2main
What am I missing?
You forgot to include taxes... @ 12% on the whole ticket plus the fact that you don’t get J luggage allowance and it doesn’t seem to make any sense. Then you realise this is Air India we’re talking about and then everything makes perfect sense.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

You forgot to include taxes... @ 12% on the whole ticket plus the fact that you don’t get J luggage allowance and it doesn’t seem to make any sense. Then you realise this is Air India we’re talking about and then everything makes perfect sense.
these type of upgrades never make sense with most airlines, not just air india....the cost of upgrading both ways at the airport with pretty much every airline will come out to be more than buying a cheap business class fare....
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
these type of upgrades never make sense with most airlines, not just air india....the cost of upgrading both ways at the airport with pretty much every airline will come out to be more than buying a cheap business class fare....
Sometimes they do... I think the domestic upgrade offer from AI @ 6k can save you 30-40% of the cost of a J ticket. Otherwise, IIRC EK & EY used to offer great value for upgrading to J at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.