Jet Airways, disappearing JPmiles

Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:41 am
kb9

Programs: DL, EK AI
Originally Posted by ceannri
Good Luck!!!!
Thanks! After a 10 day investigation, they refunded me the stolen miles. Didn't have to push too hard with a FIR or anything. Looks like yours and others experiences happened frequently enough that they realized it was caused by their lax security.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:48 pm

I had some expiring miles in Jet privilege and just booked a ticket which I might use or might not use. Can I change the date? Or is it not allowed to change the ticket or since the miles are no longer valid, they would not allow it?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I would warn you that, as the most likely mechanism for changing the ticket would be cancellation, re-crediting of miles, and rebooking, that making any change to your booked ticket after the date those miles would have expired will most likely result in the immediate "loss" of those miles when the ticket is cancelled as part of the change.

In several other programmes that I know better - Flying Blue being the prime example - this is exactly what happens.

You should play it safe, and consider that the miles are no longer usable in any shape or form after their normal date of expiry. The sole exception being if you have converted them to into an award ticket for future travel prior to their expiry - but that ticket will die, too, if you do anything other than fly it as booked.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by mrahul
I had some expiring miles in Jet privilege and just booked a ticket which I might use or might not use. Can I change the date? Or is it not allowed to change the ticket or since the miles are no longer valid, they would not allow it?
Last I recall, JP allowed dates to be changed against payment of a small amount of miles for this if no elite status, within a year.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I would warn you that, as the most likely mechanism for changing the ticket would be cancellation, re-crediting of miles, and rebooking, that making any change to your booked ticket after the date those miles would have expired will most likely result in the immediate "loss" of those miles when the ticket is cancelled as part of the change.

In several other programmes that I know better - Flying Blue being the prime example - this is exactly what happens.

You should play it safe, and consider that the miles are no longer usable in any shape or form after their normal date of expiry. The sole exception being if you have converted them to into an award ticket for future travel prior to their expiry - but that ticket will die, too, if you do anything other than fly it as booked.
This is JP, not FB.

Better to check actual JP rules and then opine.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Last I recall, JP allowed dates to be changed against payment of a small amount of miles for this if no elite status, within a year.

This is JP, not FB.

Better to check actual JP rules and then opine.
I did, and - like all other FFP T&Cs - it does not specifically address the matter.

However, as you say, the requirement to pay the change fee using miles would be problematic for a person whose miles had all since expired.

However, 13.8.2 makes clear that, if the OP has made a booking on a partner airline, what (s)he proposes is absolutely not possible.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I did, and - like all other FFP T&Cs - it does not specifically address the matter.

However, as you say, the requirement to pay the change fee using miles would be problematic for a person whose miles had all since expired.

However, 13.8.2 makes clear that, if the OP has made a booking on a partner airline, what (s)he proposes is absolutely not possible.
Well, *if* you are even LUCKY enough to get JP to ticket an award on a partner, then you would be in this situation!

(Let me tell you I am in the midst of one of them - where they have made at least 20 *mistakes* over a course of more than 1 month of interactions with them via e-mail - it's MIND-BLOWING to say the least! Miles have expired during that period - because they are so clueless.)

However, I would assume that 95% of the Jet FFers are booking domestic/9w metal awards only...
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:17 pm

Thank you for your replies. I tried to book a partner award many times and was never able to get to the ticketing stage. So, this one I booked was on Jet itself. So, I guess I can give it a shot to see if I can rebook for 500 additional JP miles.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:35 pm

obviously an inside job

Checked my Jet account today. Noticed that 45,000 miles were redeemed by someone else on July 2nd. Called Jet Airways, they did not seem to be concerned about this.. Asked me to write an email with photo id attached. I had not received any notification about this activity. I was told this was done in local office in India . After I asked my wife to check her account. She could not access it, it was restricted. When my wife called Jet they told her 45,000 miles were redeemed from her account on July 9 !
We both have different accounts is and passwords. This seems to be an inside job. Now Jet also wants her to send an email with photo id. Should we submit this information to an obviously very sloppy security airline or just forget about Jet Airways ?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by vbnagar
Checked my Jet account today. Noticed that 45,000 miles were redeemed by someone else on July 2nd. Called Jet Airways, they did not seem to be concerned about this.. Asked me to write an email with photo id attached. I had not received any notification about this activity. I was told this was done in local office in India . After I asked my wife to check her account. She could not access it, it was restricted. When my wife called Jet they told her 45,000 miles were redeemed from her account on July 9 !
We both have different accounts is and passwords. This seems to be an inside job. Now Jet also wants her to send an email with photo id. Should we submit this information to an obviously very sloppy security airline or just forget about Jet Airways ?
Put everything in writing and threaten them with legal action unlesss they reinstitute the miles.

Futher, make sure to change all your passwords as well as check all personal details are correct.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Not sure on what basis you're calling it an inside job. But hell 90k miles are a lot and certainly worth fighting for! Please follow their process and then escalate as needed. Did you find out where the miles were redeemed etc.?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:59 am

1. Separate accounts accessed a week apart. If accountants were hacked, the guy must be very talented.
2. We both did not receive any notification about the booking or accessing the website. Had we received this notification would have contacted Jet Airways right away.
3. Jet told me someone named Mr. Vijay had used the 1st award flight booked in India, booked from an " local " site.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:07 am

1. Separate accounts accessed a week apart. If accountants were hacked, the guy must be very talented.
2. We both did not receive any notification about the booking or accessing the website. Had we received this notification would have contacted Jet Airways right away.
3. Jet told me someone named Mr. Vijay had used the 1st award flight booked in India, booked from an " local " site.
If any international redemptions, they would have to submit the traveling passenger's passport/s to Jet, so you can proceed on that tack...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
1. I understand you're pissed with Jet. I also feel that you have no understanding of technology. So don't go around making these accusations that it was a inside job. Instead use this energy to chase down Jet till they return your 90k miles to you.

Also, I would suggest both of you change your email and other account passwords right away.

2. You don't get any notification for accessing the website or (I think) even for a booking unless you specify the email id during the booking. Besides the first thing the hacker would do is change the email id in the profile section to get all notifications him/herself. So change your passwords and go to the profile section and ensure the email ids and phone numbers are correct. If they have been changed make sure you note the new info before replacing with your info.

3. I don't understand what a local site is in this context. It's a redemption and has to be done through Jet's website. Doing it by selecting different language and country options doesn't change that it's still the same Jet website.

Also any redemption made through your account will still show up in your account details section. So you have some information to start with already. Not that you can do any real investigation yourself beyond this. But keep following up with Jet till you get your miles back.

Most importantly change all your passwords, use 2 factor authentication wherever possible eg: Gmail etc. and make sure that the profiles in your accounts have your correct info - esp. the name, email and phone.

And keep sharing your experience here... it would be a good learning for everyone.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jul 17, 2018 at 8:14 am
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:58 am

I appreciate your efforts to help.
1. I was able to access my account using my id and password when I discovered the mileage redemption. So obviously email id and password were not changed by the fantom hacker. Means I should have received the notification for the fraudulent activity. Also immediately after I had logged in to check the account I did receive a notification regarding that from Jet.
I am not technically advanced just plain Structural Enginner able to put 2 and 2 together

2. Local office term is Jet representative's , not sure what she meant

3. Passwords etc were changed immediately after. Would not much good if lax security
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:06 pm

What redemptions did they make? That would still show up in your account.

If the booking was done in a local office they would have to have submitted some ID to do the booking and probably knew your account # to begin with.

Are you a JP status holder? Do you get physical copies of JP stuff delivered to your home/office?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.