Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Guardian: India's major airlines ban Shiv Sena MP after slipper assault on steward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guardian: India's major airlines ban Shiv Sena MP after slipper assault on steward

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery

India's major airlines ban Shiv Sena MP after slipper assault on steward

Air India employee beaten up on plane by Ravindra Gaikwad after MP was given an economy seat instead of business class.

An Indian politician has been banned from flying on most of the country’s major carriers after admitting he used a slipper to thrash an Air India steward.

Ravindra Gaikwad, an MP in India’s lower house for the Hindu nationalist Shiv Sena party, claimed the attendant had insulted him on the Pune to New Delhi flight.

“What did he say, that I hit him with my hand? I hit him 25 times with a slipper,” an unrepentant Gaikwad told ANI news agency in video footage it posted on Twitter and aired on Indian news channels.
Please see:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-class-dispute

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The number of current Indian politicians with a criminal record or suspected criminal violence history is shocking, so I'm not surprised to find that an Indian MP was throwing footwear at someone who didn't do as the Member of Parliament wanted.

I'm no big fan of blacklists being applied to individuals except perhaps as part and parcel of a criminal conviction and related sentence, and so I would rather see the Indian justice system go after this guy and hit him with the book.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
very good....great step by the airlines....politicians like this should be taught a lesson....
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:14 am

This sets a very dangerous precedent of airlines being able to unilaterally blacklist travelers who dare to raise customer service issues.

He needs to be prosecuted for assault, not banned from air travel.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by B747-437B
This sets a very dangerous precedent of airlines being able to unilaterally blacklist travelers who dare to raise customer service issues.
i don't think so....there is a world of a difference between raising a customer service issue & assaulting an airline employee....
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

He needs to be prosecuted for assault, not banned from air travel.
I'm fine with him being blacklisted from commercial air travel if it's part and parcel of a criminal conviction and related sentence arising from a fair trial. Industry players colluding against even horrible customers does have me concerned about room for abuse.

His constituents may see him less if he has to take surface transport back home.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Industry players colluding against even horrible customers does have me concerned about room for abuse.
Exactly.

I can understand why Air India chose to ban him, but what evidence does the rest of the membership of the organisation have? Media reports? Those are hardly reliable on any issue as they well know. And if Air India has shared this information with them, they are in violation of their own Privacy Policy on sharing passenger data.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Exactly.

I can understand why Air India chose to ban him, but what evidence does the rest of the membership of the organisation have? Media reports? Those are hardly reliable on any issue as they well know. And if Air India has shared this information with them, they are in violation of their own Privacy Policy on sharing passenger data.
Maybe the video of him bragging about beating the AI staffer with a slipper 25 times enough evidence?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:00 am

Exactly.

What are you talking about ? This guy beats up an airline employee and then had the temerity to brag about it on national TV. And for what ? Demanding a business class seat on a all-economy flight ? Such guys should be taught a proper lesson - no more airline travel for them.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:13 am

For those of you who understand Indian politics, this 'ban' is most likely a sham.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
What are you talking about ? This guy beats up an airline employee and then had the temerity to brag about it on national TV. And for what ? Demanding a business class seat on a all-economy flight ? Such guys should be taught a proper lesson - no more airline travel for them.
The proper lesson would be to prosecute him for assault. Then he would be in jail and not able to travel by airline, railway or bullock cart.

I condemn the actions of the MP, but I condemn in stronger terms the action taken by the FIA to publicly "blacklist" this passenger. Today it is a high profile case with little doubt about the actual facts, but tomorrow it could be you or I quietly banned for simply standing up for our rights and a tenuous accusation made by the all-in-one judge, jury and executioner. A slippery slope indeed.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:11 am

The proper lesson would be to prosecute him for assault. Then he would be in jail and not able to travel by airline, railway or bullock cart.

I condemn the actions of the MP, but I condemn in stronger terms the action taken by the FIA to publicly "blacklist" this passenger. Today it is a high profile case with little doubt about the actual facts, but tomorrow it could be you or I quietly banned for simply standing up for our rights and a tenuous accusation made by the all-in-one judge, jury and executioner. A slippery slope indeed.
Well - unfortunately the proper lesson does not work in India. The case would last for 10-15 years and even then the goon in question would probably walk free. So in your opinion - he should be allowed to board flights and assault airline employees in the time being ?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: O6 GOLD, SPG GOLD
As an Indian, I fully support the decision made by Air India and other carriers to ban this idiot from all air travel. Passengers like this should not be given a chance to disrupt passengers and airline employees. In addition he should be put in prison and shamed by his constituents. People like him who lack common decency are not worthy of being a human being.

Banning dangerous unruly passengers is common place in the western world, and airlines do have the right to refuse boarding or ticket without reason.

However I do agree with some comments above on being a procedure for this kind of action, but there was an absence of no fly list in India till now and it has now been inaugurated by this idiot.

Please comment on whether you agree or disagree with my views.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
For those of you who understand Indian politics, this 'ban' is most likely a sham.
Correct. There is now talk of rescinding the ban if he issues an "apology".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.