Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

A Jet Privilege Redemption Story: Scam or Incompetence?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG One

I had an interesting experience with Jet Airways recently. I wanted to book an economy ticket on Etihad between HYD-ZRH-HYD using my Jet Miles and got in touch over email with the Jet Privilege Service Centre for same. I was advised that it would take 118,000 miles. Now, I know they revised the rules for redemption on 1st April 2016, dividing the world into zones, and charging flat miles between zones instead of specific rates between specific locations (or at least, that is my understanding). Earlier it used it be 62,000 miles for BOM-ZRH-BOM (on Swiss) so this sounded kinda fishy to me - almost double?

I did some checking and looked at the redemption rules on the JP website. As per new rules, India is Zone 4, Europe is Zone 8 (and the Middle East is Zone 5). One way miles required between Zone 4 and Zone 8 is 42,000. Ergo, HYD-ZRH-HYD should be 84,000 miles, then why tell me it is 118,000?

Well, the good folks over at the JP Service Centre did this: the itinerary involves a transit at AUH in both directions, so they calculated the mileage requirement as Zone 4 to Zone 5 (24,000 miles one way) and Zone 5 to Zone 8 (35,000 miles one way), totalling 118,000 miles. I called the JP Service Centre and asked them why they were charging me an extra 34,000 miles to show me the AUH transit area? They kept insisting that this is how it is, rules, regulations, etc. etc.

In the same PDF document outlining the zone structure (http://tinyurl.com/gmkrf6j); on page 5, they have an example of how redemptions are treated in case of connecting journeys. There it says clearly that in case of connecting journeys, if the stopover is less than 24 hours, then the miles required calculation is from origin to destination zone, irrespective of in which zone the transit occurs. I pointed this out to the customer service agent, and she did not have an answer and said they would get back to me.

Two hours later, I got an email stating that the miles required is 84,000.

I suspect it is unfamiliarity with the new rules on the part of the staff, and not an overt attempt to scam folks, and I know that people on this forum wouldn't get taken in by something like this - just thought I'd put the story out there.

Last edited by splitinfinitive; Mar 22, 2017 at 1:31 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT and the weird world of JP redemptions where you never get the same answer twice. Recently I redeemed a award which I was told was 70,000, after speaking with them got it done for 30,500. Do they do it on purpose? I doubt it as when they put it in to their computers it gives them the right amount. They just have the worst staff ever on the partner redemptions desk who just like to say no to everything.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i was leaning towards 'incompetence' even before i read your post....after reading your post there is nothing that would make me change my opinion....the majority of jet staff is just incompetent....
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage
Originally Posted by splitinfinitive
I had an interesting experience with Jet Airways recently. I wanted to book an economy ticket on Etihad between HYD-ZRH-HYD using my Jet Miles and got in touch over email with the Jet Privilege Service Centre for same. I was advised that it would take 118,000 miles. Now, I know they revised the rules for redemption on 1st April 2016, diving the world into zones, and charging flat miles between zones instead of specific rates between specific locations (or at least, that is my understanding). Earlier it used it be 62,000 miles for BOM-ZRH-BOM (on Swiss) so this sounded kinda fishy to me - more than double?

I did some checking and looked at the redemption rules on the JP website. As per new rules, India is Zone 4, Europe is Zone 8 (and the Middle East is Zone 5). One way miles required between Zone 4 and Zone 8 is 42,000. Ergo, HYD-ZRH-HYD should be 84,000 miles, then why tell me it is 118,000?

Well, the good folks over at the JP Service Centre did this: the itinerary involves a transit at AUH in both directions, so they calculated the mileage requirement as Zone 4 to Zone 5 (24,000 miles one way) and Zone 5 to Zone 8 (35,000 miles one way), totalling 118,000 miles. I called the JP Service Centre and asked them why they were charging me an extra 34,000 miles to show me the AUH transit area? They kept insisting that this is how it is, rules, regulations, etc. etc.

In the same PDF document outlining the zone structure (http://tinyurl.com/gmkrf6j); on page 5, they have an example of how redemptions are treated in case of connecting journeys. There it says clearly that in case of connecting journeys, if the stopover is less than 24 hours, then the miles required calculation is from origin to destination zone, irrespective of in which zone the transit occurs. I pointed this out to the customer service agent, and she did not have an answer and said they would get back to me.

Two hours later, I got an email stating that the miles required is 84,000.

I suspect it is unfamiliarity with the new rules on the part of the staff, and not an overt attempt to scam folks, and I know that people on this forum wouldn't get taken in by something like this - just thought I'd put the story out there.
Start banking miles on American Airlines! They have a very solid FF program. I usually travel on Etihad or BA, but am able to redeem miles without any issues on American. They even let you redeem and earn miles on Jet Airways, so you can fly within India (10k one way for economy I think...)..I usually redeem them for US-Delhi...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oneloveoneworld
Start banking miles on American Airlines! They have a very solid FF program. I usually travel on Etihad or BA, but am able to redeem miles without any issues on American. They even let you redeem and earn miles on Jet Airways, so you can fly within India (10k one way for economy I think...)..I usually redeem them for US-Delhi...
AA is the best program out there. ^
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:19 pm

Similar experience.. I Wanted to book AUH- CDG in First Class. Ita Matrix shows YQ as Rs 36506 and Total taxes including YQ is Rs 38848. So I was expecting this amount towards the taxes on JP redemption booking. However I was stumped when I got an email with tax demand of Rs 81845/…!!! JPPL quoted Rs 43075 as YQ and Rs 33771 as Tax Component.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Dani Kris
Similar experience.. I Wanted to book AUH- CDG in First Class. Ita Matrix shows YQ as Rs 36506 and Total taxes including YQ is Rs 38848. So I was expecting this amount towards the taxes on JP redemption booking. However I was stumped when I got an email with tax demand of Rs 81845/…!!! JPPL quoted Rs 43075 as YQ and Rs 33771 as Tax Component.
Arguing with them seems to be the way to get them to lower fees. Pretty much everyone seems to face this problem with 9W. They've historically charged YQ even when the operating carrier didn't!!!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Arguing with them seems to be the way to get them to lower fees. Pretty much everyone seems to face this problem with 9W. They've historically charged YQ even when the operating carrier didn't!!!
Isn't Jet Privilege owned by Etihad ?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
Isn't Jet Privilege owned by Etihad ?
Yes... your point being? They were bought by EY as part of the stake deal that 9W did with EY in 2013. There was no change to the organization as such. It’s still the bungling inefficient organization that it was before. Not that EY is an expert in improving those things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.