Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

First time flyer to international flight to usa- guidance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Hello guys.. I am first time flyer for international flight and i am a INTERN DOCTOR..i am heading to tampa from bombay.
My flight is from bombay(terminal-2) to abudhabi (T-1) den abubhabi (t-3) to bew york jfk (t-4) and new york (t-5) to tampa..
Bombay - abudhabi -- jet airways
Abudhabi -new york --etihad
New-york- tampa-- jet blue
Whole iternary is booked by etihad only.
i need help for the procedure.
1) whether my immigration and customs checked at abudhabi? If yes what is procedure can tel briefly
2)what about my luggage? I have to claim it at abudhabi? And then again go through whole procedure of customs immigration again? Or i have to claim baggage at directly tampa? Or at new york and then again go to customs at new york before boarding jet blue
3)at every airport i have to get boarding pass?
4)transfer time and how to transfer between terminals 1to3 on abudhabi and terminal 4 to 5 on new york john f kennedy airport. And do i have to claim my baggage anywhere before tampa?
5) what is the step by step procedure on airport if you can guide for new york and abudhabi..
I am first time flyer and no one to pick me up there so little info will help me alot. Thank you
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: United Silver Hilton Gold Virgin Atlantic Silver Le Accos Platinum Air India Silver
Originally Posted by doctorguy
Hello guys.. I am first time flyer for international flight and i am a INTERN DOCTOR..i am heading to tampa from bombay.
My flight is from bombay(terminal-2) to abudhabi (T-1) den abubhabi (t-3) to bew york jfk (t-4) and new york (t-5) to tampa..
Bombay - abudhabi -- jet airways
Abudhabi -new york --etihad
New-york- tampa-- jet blue
Whole iternary is booked by etihad only.
i need help for the procedure.
1) whether my immigration and customs checked at abudhabi? If yes what is procedure can tel briefly
2)what about my luggage? I have to claim it at abudhabi? And then again go through whole procedure of customs immigration again? Or i have to claim baggage at directly tampa? Or at new york and then again go to customs at new york before boarding jet blue
3)at every airport i have to get boarding pass?
4)transfer time and how to transfer between terminals 1to3 on abudhabi and terminal 4 to 5 on new york john f kennedy airport. And do i have to claim my baggage anywhere before tampa?
5) what is the step by step procedure on airport if you can guide for new york and abudhabi..
I am first time flyer and no one to pick me up there so little info will help me alot. Thank you
Welcome to FT. The answers to your questions are -

1 - Yes you will clear immigration and customs at Abu Dhabi. After de planing from your BOM-AUH flight, follow signs for US Pre Clearance Gate 60-61towards the end of the terminal, at which point you will undergo security check and followed by US Immigration and customs check.

2 - Your bags will be tagged to your final destination, and you will be able to collect it in Tampa.

3 - You will be getting all your boarding passes in Mumbai - BOM-AUH,AUH-JFK, and JFK-TPA.

4 - Transfer times - I would usually say 60mins is enough time from de planing to the next gate ( including security check and immigration and customs ).

5. Abu Dhabi Airport - Usually flights from India get a remote parking spot, and you de plane and catch a bus to get into the terminal, where you undergo preliminary security check. Once clearing the security, follow signs for US Pre Clearance, which is a good 10-15min walk, where in you undergo second round of security check ( mandatory for all US bound flights ). Next up is the US Immigration and Customs check point, clearing which you be at your gate for a good 12 hours in flight

New york JFK - The airport is a bit of a mess, but since you would have cleared Immigration at Abu Dhabi, follow signs for your terminal, and depending on which terminal you get into, you might have a security check to clear before arriving at your gate.

Hope the above info is useful to you and bon voyage !!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BLRtoDFW
2 - Your bags will be tagged to your final destination, and you will be able to collect it in Tampa.
Minor correction: you will need to pick up your bags at JFK for customs inspection and then recheck them.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Nope..

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Minor correction: you will need to pick up your bags at JFK for customs inspection and then recheck them.
This is incorrect. Your customs inspection is at AUH pre-clearance
facility. Your bags will be shown to you on a video screen. You will
need to confirm that they are yours.

You will land in "Domestic" section of JFK where there will no need
to go through Immigration and customs anymore..

Just follow the signs for your JFK-Tampa flight...

F.A.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: United Silver Hilton Gold Virgin Atlantic Silver Le Accos Platinum Air India Silver
Probably the only advantage of Pre clearance is the bags get tagged to your final destination, other than that its a pretty poorly managed show at abu dhabi airport !!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Please don't post false information.
Originally Posted by doctorguy
The US Customs officer at AUH shows you a photo of your checked bag and asks if it is yours. So you don't need to physically collect the bag. However, if they want to open the bag, they will get it for you.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Sorry about that - I had completely forgotten that AUH has preclearance now.

OP, everybody else is correct, you can collect your bag at the final destination.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
However, if they want to open the bag, they will get it for you.
i've had this happen to me all 3 times i've been through auh....
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:48 am

This is actually a really interesting question because of the double interlining (Etihad with Jet Airways and Etihad with jetBlue).

Here's the procedure:

1. Check your bags and check in at Bombay. You should receive four boarding passes for all four segments. The bags should go to Tampa directly.

2. When you arrive at Abu Dhabi, follow the signs for international transfer. You'll take an escalator before going through a security check (there shouldn't be passport control or immigration). After that, follow the signs to the rather long corridor to T3. Once you get to T3, you'll need to go all the way to the end of the terminal to get to the U.S. pre-clearance facility, where you'll have your U.S. visa checked and you'll need to confirm your bags on the monitor.

After this check, you're considered inside of the U.S. due to the pre-clearance.

3. You'll land at JFK as if you were a domestic flight. Follow the signs to the AirTrain at JFK. You'll have to leave the secure area to get to the AirTrain. Take the red or green line AirTrain (orange line loops the other way but you'll still get there) to T5. At T5 you'll have to go through a security check again and you need to present your boarding pass and passport to security so they can verify it's you. After security, you can go directly to your gate, which'll take you to Tampa.

Throughout the process, always have your boarding pass and passport, which will be checked numerous times. Obviously you can't bring prohibited items into the secure area but if you've never flown before, be careful about bringing liquids in your carry-on bag. Check, the U.S. TSA website for details on what kind and quantity of liquids you're allowed to bring.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Javelin
This is actually a really interesting question because of the double interlining (Etihad with Jet Airways and Etihad with jetBlue).

Here's the procedure:

1. Check your bags and check in at Bombay. You should receive four boarding passes for all four segments. The bags should go to Tampa directly.

2. When you arrive at Abu Dhabi, follow the signs for international transfer. You'll take an escalator before going through a security check (there shouldn't be passport control or immigration). After that, follow the signs to the rather long corridor to T3. Once you get to T3, you'll need to go all the way to the end of the terminal to get to the U.S. pre-clearance facility, where you'll have your U.S. visa checked and you'll need to confirm your bags on the monitor.

After this check, you're considered inside of the U.S. due to the pre-clearance.

3. You'll land at JFK as if you were a domestic flight. Follow the signs to the AirTrain at JFK. You'll have to leave the secure area to get to the AirTrain. Take the red or green line AirTrain (orange line loops the other way but you'll still get there) to T5. At T5 you'll have to go through a security check again and you need to present your boarding pass and passport to security so they can verify it's you. After security, you can go directly to your gate, which'll take you to Tampa.

Throughout the process, always have your boarding pass and passport, which will be checked numerous times. Obviously you can't bring prohibited items into the secure area but if you've never flown before, be careful about bringing liquids in your carry-on bag. Check, the U.S. TSA website for details on what kind and quantity of liquids you're allowed to bring.
Very thorough review of the process. Just a quick note though that there will only be three boarding passes since there are only three legs. They should give you all your boarding passes in BOM so you won't have to go to a transfer desk in AUH, or to JetBlue's check-in counter at Terminal 5 at JFK. Was there some significance to being an intern?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.