Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:24 am

Naive question possibly: does anyone know if you can pay in USD or another non-INR currency when booking on Airbnb from India? It's been about four years since I've used the site and I don't remember. Is it as straightforward as changing the currency in a dropdown or do you have to use a VPN etc? And if so, does it accept HDFC Diners cards? Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by piyush
You can also buy 21,000 SPG points. That's what I did.
Did that last month, very useful.

Thanks for reminding me coz I still have 10k left
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
A few good tips on maximizing the international spends above:
  • Funding your Amazon Pay (US/other international)
  • Buying SPG points @ Rs. ~1/point
  • Using foreign OTA for travel bookings (if you've exhausted your Smartbuy limit)
Other ideas/suggestions would be welcome.

I end up traveling abroad about 9-10 times a year so I usually exhaust my international spends on hotels every month. Still there are those 1-2 months in the year where I need to be creative. So other ideas would be greatly welcome.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by L_D_M
Naive question possibly: does anyone know if you can pay in USD or another non-INR currency when booking on Airbnb from India? It's been about four years since I've used the site and I don't remember. Is it as straightforward as changing the currency in a dropdown or do you have to use a VPN etc? And if so, does it accept HDFC Diners cards? Thanks.
Never done a foreign currency booking on Airbnb it but there is an option to change currency at the bottom of the page. I think that should do it.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
A few good tips on maximizing the international spends above:
  • Funding your Amazon Pay (US/other international)
  • Buying SPG points @ Rs. ~1/point
  • Using foreign OTA for travel bookings (if you've exhausted your Smartbuy limit)
Other ideas/suggestions would be welcome.

I end up traveling abroad about 9-10 times a year so I usually exhaust my international spends on hotels every month. Still there are those 1-2 months in the year where I need to be creative. So other ideas would be greatly welcome.
If you stay at Marriott hotels, you could also but marriott gift cards online . Most likely your hotel bills will be more than $430 in the months you travel.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
If you stay at Marriott hotels, you could also but marriott gift cards online . Most likely your hotel bills will be more than $430 in the months you travel.
Not a bad idea... and I assume you will still earn MR points on these transactions.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:34 am

Not a bad idea... and I assume you will still earn MR points on these transactions.
I have used some and I earned points (at least in the past). The stays counted too.
PiperAtGatesofDawn likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I have used some and I earned points (at least in the past). The stays counted too.
So I tried to buy the Marriott Gift Card through their website. I selected Discover Card as the payment type and entered my Diners card info. The website gave me the error message that the card number was incorrect. I also tried adding 00 before my card number but that didnt work either.

Any suggestions on how to make this work?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:16 pm

A question on the Prime Day sale happening today.

I’m buying 2 items for 30k & 40k. If I buy them together I get a discount of 7k with my Diners card. I’m trying to see how I can maximize my returns and get the 33% + 10%. Now I can buy only 1 item at a time through Smartbuy. So if click on the “Buy now” in Smartbuy and it takes me to the Amazon page where I buy 2 items. Would I get 33% back on both the items or just the one I clicked on in Smartbuy?

The 10% offer is pretty good but I don’t want to jeopardize my 33% for that. So my question is - what happens when we go through Smartbuy and buy more than 1 item at Amazon or any other retailer. Do we get 33% on the whole amount or just for the item we selected on Smartbuy?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:21 am

So my question is - what happens when we go through Smartbuy and buy more than 1 item at Amazon or any other retailer. Do we get 33% on the whole amount or just for the item we selected on Smartbuy?
I would assume you'd only get the 10x points on the item you clicked through on Smartbuy, but given it's HDFC, anything could happen - you might get 10x for both or neither. Be prepared for any outcome.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by L_D_M
I would assume you'd only get the 10x points on the item you clicked through on Smartbuy, but given it's HDFC, anything could happen - you might get 10x for both or neither. Be prepared for any outcome.
Called SmartBuy they 10X would be only for the item compared and shopped. Makes sense although I don't know how they check that. Do all these sites share all this data with mysmartprice?

I missed asking what would happen if I bought multiple items.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Anyone know what is the difference between Diners Blub Black and HDFC Infinia? Infinia doesn't offer smartbuy/10x rewards?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetPrivilege
Infinia offers 10x on smartbuy and has the same conversion ratio for miles to SQ / 9W
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
10x extended until 31st Dec 18. Everything essentially remains the same except Swiggy has been swapped with SOTC (Which is actually great because you now have an OTA in each section), however international spends are limited to POS only.

https://www.hdfcbankdinersclub.com/privilege
AJLondon likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:53 pm

That’s good news @Anish. Except for the internation POS thing! That just sucks.

Does anyone know if 10x applies to Uber Eats?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.