Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 12:48 am

Thanks. Appreciate the help and feedback
Old May 30, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by L_D_M
No, there aren't. My first KF activity was a redemption flight (points transfer from HDFC Diners Black).
Yes, you can start redeeming straight away.

I guess AI has this rule to prevent people from stealing your miles. SQ does this by requiring you to register people you want to buy awards tickets for and has limitations on the number of people you can register and how easily you can swap them.

Originally Posted by Anish
The backend partner is Cleartrip indeed.
Interesting. I somehow thought (based on no evidence whatsoever) that their backend partner was Yatra. I’m surprised that Cleartrip was kept out of anykind of branding on the ticket.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; May 30, 2018 at 11:59 am
Old May 31, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Just got to the US and Uber refuses to accept my Diners card now. Worked perfectly last year. Has anybody had recent experience or a workaround? Also is the 10x offer valid on charges by Uber USA, if not I'll just use Lyft.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:18 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Just got to the US and Uber refuses to accept my Diners card now. Worked perfectly last year. Has anybody had recent experience or a workaround? Also is the 10x offer valid on charges by Uber USA, if not I'll just use Lyft.
you'll get the 10x for international spend not the one for Uber spends.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Is your card not working with Under or just not working in US?

If it's not working anywhere, you maybneed to add travel.plan on hdfc bank website (different from enabling international)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:31 am

Would it be better to redeem 70K Diners black points on BA or SQ

I'm open to travelling anywhere since both have good sectors. I'm looking to understand if redemption is cheaper/easier in one over the other.

Also BA taxes and fees seems very high due to LHR hub. To LHR taxes are almost 31K!

SQ also has a better physical product so I'm leaning towards SQ.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Shivthilak

I'm open to travelling anywhere since both have good sectors. I'm looking to understand if redemption is cheaper/easier in one over the other.

Also BA taxes and fees seems very high due to LHR hub. To LHR taxes are almost 31K!

SQ also has a better physical product so I'm leaning towards SQ.
I suggest you do this:
  • Find regions you can cover in 70k miles on both airlines
  • Decide a few places on both (from the regions)
  • Check availability and pricing for each (remember OW and *A availability can be totally different)
I think you will have enough data after the above exercise to pick the winner.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:02 am

BA currently have an offer running where economy redemptions cost 50% less (Avios; though the taxes remain the same - which makes it not a very good deal, in my book).

The better redemptions are to be found on partner airlines. However, taxes on the likes of QR and CX seem to vary widely depending on where you're flying from/to.
Shivthilak likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:45 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll post results here.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

Identify where and when you want to go. Doesn't matter where BA or SQ goes... you'll have access to their alliance fleet as well. If you're looking just for flying experience between the two SQ beats BA hollow. Redemption will generally be cheaper on SQ but depends entirely on the route/airlines/YQ etc. etc.

But back to basics. Identify where and when you want to go. Check availability. Depending on the ticket you can call and reserve it (sometimes fees apply). THEN transfer miles and get the ticket issued.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
What sectors are you looking to book and what class? I've often found the best use of Diners point is using them as cash to just book the flights outright.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:22 pm

What sectors are you looking to book and what class? I've often found the best use of Diners point is using them as cash to just book the flights outright.
I feel the same for regional (Asian) travel. There are quite a few places which can be covered in business class in Asia for 70K inr for 1 (for 2 in coach).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I feel the same for regional (Asian) travel. There are quite a few places which can be covered in business class in Asia for 70K inr for 1 (for 2 in coach).
I agree, it makes a lot of sense to redeem for travel on the Diners Website itself. Whats tempting however is that it costs only 35K points for Business travel to Singapore. Maybe not worth it, but redemption value is quite good considering the revenue fare is almost 100K

Compiling some options which I'll share over here if I get a nice deal

Regards
Shiv
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I agree, it makes a lot of sense to redeem for travel on the Diners Website itself. Whats tempting however is that it costs only 35K points for Business travel to Singapore. Maybe not worth it, but redemption value is quite good considering the revenue fare is almost 100K
Wouldn't quite agree with you there on buying from the Diners website given the 33% discount you get through SmartBuy. It's almost always cheaper to buy the ticket with SQ miles.

The only couple of times I would use Diners redemption would be if I had too many miles and thus their value would be very low to me or if I didn't have enough miles to buy a ticket that I wanted eg: if the ticket cost was INR 80k I might use 70k miles and 10k cash to buy the ticket.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:04 am

Compiling some options which I'll share over here if I get a nice deal

Regards
Shiv
That's 35K SQ miles each way or 70K miles + taxes for a roundtrip. You can easily find a whole lot of flights on that route for 70K on booking via diners club redemption and also earn some miles on the travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.