Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:46 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

How is the acceptance of Diners Club in India at the moment? In the market for a new credit card, already have Citi Prestige, looking to see if Diners Club might be a good fit.

Also, does Diners Club Black allow transfer to any airline or you can only use on Jet/Singapore?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, BAEC, Club Vistara, Hiton Honors
Originally Posted by kumarshah
How is the acceptance of Diners Club in India at the moment? In the market for a new credit card, already have Citi Prestige, looking to see if Diners Club might be a good fit.

Also, does Diners Club Black allow transfer to any airline or you can only use on Jet/Singapore?
Pretty good. I haven't had it declined or unrecognised even once since I've had it. It works on all HDFC machines as one would expect. Mine went through fine on ICICI and SBI machines as well. The retailer insisted they don't accept it but I urged him to try. I'm not sure if ICICI/SBI have partnerships with HDFC or it went through because of Discover/Pulse network and/or RuPay partnership.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

It is accepted in all the larger establishments. It’s the smaller ones where it gets tricky. It’s best to have a backup Visa/MasterCard.

But if you have a Citi Prestige Card - why would you worry about the Diners Card acceptability? My strategy is to use the Citi Prestige Card for all my regular spends (better rewards than Diners Card) and use the Diners Card where I get 10x rewards only.

Also you can convert your points to miles with 9W, SQ, BA and UK only. Though the last two aren’t mentioned on their website as yet.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

It is accepted in all the larger establishments. It’s the smaller ones where it gets tricky. It’s best to have a backup Visa/MasterCard.

But if you have a Citi Prestige Card - why would you worry about the Diners Card acceptability? My strategy is to use the Citi Prestige Card for all my regular spends (better rewards than Diners Card) and use the Diners Card where I get 10x rewards only.

Also you can convert your points to miles with 9W, SQ, BA and UK only. Though the last two aren’t mentioned on their website as yet.
To add to the reply:
You can also use the points to buy air tickets or hotels using the.website or by calling concierge (1 pt is worth 1 ripper)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
To add to the reply:
You can also use the points to buy air tickets or hotels using the.website or by calling concierge (1 pt is worth 1 ripper)
Absolutely... in fact that's pretty much the best value you can get for it if you're not traveling international J or F.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Dec 17, 2017 at 1:04 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:12 pm

Absolutely... in fact that's pretty much the best value you can get for it if you're not traveling international J or F.
Actually let me correct that... that’s not great value because you can buy the same ticket through Yatra & Cleartrip on SmartBuy at 33% discount (10x rewards).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:46 am

10x partners list has been extended up-to March 31, 2018. Same brand partners with Tata Cliq as a welcome addition. Flipkart, Yatra & Cleartrip continue through Smartbuy. International spends also extended with maximum reward points of 10K for Diners black.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ajj1983
10x partners list has been extended up-to March 31, 2018. Same brand partners with Tata Cliq as a welcome addition. Flipkart, Yatra & Cleartrip continue through Smartbuy. International spends also extended with maximum reward points of 10K for Diners black.
They need to get Amazon back. Really miss their wide collection of items, ease of buying (directly instead of going through smartbuy), and Prime delivery.

I was hoping enough people would have complained to Amazon and HDFC Diners to get that scheme back.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Complaining rarely works in such scenarios, it needs to make business sense for HDFC as well as Amazon for it to continue; otherwise they can tell us to go pound sand.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by deovrat
Complaining rarely works in such scenarios, it needs to make business sense for HDFC as well as Amazon for it to continue; otherwise they can tell us to go pound sand.
Complaining = Unhappy customers = Less customers using the card = Potential Revenue Loss etc. etc. etc. I don't think the problem was "business sense". All other things being equal it makes the same amount of sense to partner with Amazon as it does with Flipkart. I think there would be other issues such as a longer term contract with Flipkart with non-compete clauses and such.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:29 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Complaining = Unhappy customers = Less customers using the card = Potential Revenue Loss etc. etc. etc. I don't think the problem was "business sense". All other things being equal it makes the same amount of sense to partner with Amazon as it does with Flipkart. I think there would be other issues such as a longer term contract with Flipkart with non-compete clauses and such.
why blame hdfc when Amazon does not want to spend money on it? Do you think these points are coming out of nowhere? the companies which partner with hdfc pay towards the extra points from their marketing budgets. so if it does not suit them, they don't partner. End of story.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by A2A
why blame hdfc when Amazon does not want to spend money on it? Do you think these points are coming out of nowhere? the companies which partner with hdfc pay towards the extra points from their marketing budgets. so if it does not suit them, they don't partner. End of story.
I don’t know enough about what happened there to blame either party. Do you know if it was Amazon’s fault here?

All I’m saying is that this sucks and hopefully with customer pressures the issue would be fixed.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
If you buy through Smartbuy, an Amazon link usually shows up as well and you can enter your mobile number + last 4 card digits and claim 10x rewards.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: SPG Marriott Plat | Jet Airways Plat | Club Carlson, IHG, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by Anish
If you buy through Smartbuy, an Amazon link usually shows up as well and you can enter your mobile number + last 4 card digits and claim 10x rewards.
yea. but the products are very limited.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:45 am

Anyone know approx how long it takes to transfer points to Krisflyer from your Diners Black account? I placed a request online today and received a text message confirming the request had been received an hour or so later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.