Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Anish
Thanks!
Yeah the dealer quoted a 1.8% fee so I still gain 1.5% over doing a NEFT transfer.
I am not sure if it's worth paying 1.8% cash to get 3.3% in air tickets. I am not counting hotels coz hotel booking on SmartBuy is generally very expensive.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:34 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I am not sure if it's worth paying 1.8% cash to get 3.3% in air tickets. I am not counting hotels coz hotel booking on SmartBuy is generally very expensive.
If you’re in the miles game it absolutely absolutely is. Especially since you can get 2x-4x of 3.3% for redemption.

As long as one can afford the 1.8% and you’re not getting into financial difficulties or 40%pa interest it is definitely worth it - especially since you’re earning a boat load of miles here. It makes financial sense and feels great when you’ve flown J/F to the Caribean partly sponsored by your car payment.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Feb 4, 2021 at 10:45 pm
Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
PiperAtGatesofDawn Spot on. The way I'm looking at it is that I pay my card bill instead of doing a transfer straight to the dealer, just a few extra clicks and card swipe. I also structured the payment on the first day of my card's billing cycle so I get a 50 day interest free period to payback the amount.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 10:13 am

I guess it's my own view but I struggle to find lots of good value redemption options with SQ. Once upon a time when DCB allowed transfer to AA, the value was great.
it could also be that most of my upcoming family vacation plans are around Asia where most of the times finding a lie flat business class flight itself is not easy.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
it could also be that most of my upcoming family vacation plans are around Asia where most of the times finding a lie flat business class flight itself is not easy.
It's hard finding a lie-flat on any short haul/regional route of any airline. If it's with SQ you'll have to track some of SQ's bigger planes that are doing short hauls to keep the plane "busy" to score lie-flats. Not impossible to get but you'll have to be lucky to have them fly your specific route.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
It's hard finding a lie-flat on any short haul/regional route of any airline. If it's with SQ you'll have to track some of SQ's bigger planes that are doing short hauls to keep the plane "busy" to score lie-flats. Not impossible to get but you'll have to be lucky to have them fly your specific route.
Yea, that's been my problem. Also I understand there is a lot more value in using points for long haul J/F
Old Feb 8, 2021, 4:17 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Anish
PiperAtGatesofDawn Spot on. The way I'm looking at it is that I pay my card bill instead of doing a transfer straight to the dealer, just a few extra clicks and card swipe. I also structured the payment on the first day of my card's billing cycle so I get a 50 day interest free period to payback the amount.
But don't the credit card companies report these huge purchases to Income Tax?

How do you handle this then?
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

Why would this be a tax issue? And how would it be more of a tax issue vs. a cheque or a bank transfer?

Unless... OP was buying a Phantom on a 5 LPA salary... in which case their only mode of payment would be in large duffle bags and without any reward points!
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:34 am

Banks usually report the credit card details in form 26-AS when total spends on their card > 10L in a FY.
If the digits in your ITR can explain such transaction, nothing to worry.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by gtag
Banks usually report the credit card details in form 26-AS when total spends on their card > 10L in a FY.
If the digits in your ITR can explain such transaction, nothing to worry.
PAN is anyway mandatory for car purchases so it will already be registered in the system. Any income tax issue would be independent of the car purchase. And I don't think credit card rewards count as income.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Yup the dealer asks for PAN information irrespective of the mode of payment.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
If you’re in the miles game it absolutely absolutely is. Especially since you can get 2x-4x of 3.3% for redemption.

As long as one can afford the 1.8% and you’re not getting into financial difficulties or 40%pa interest it is definitely worth it - especially since you’re earning a boat load of miles here. It makes financial sense and feels great when you’ve flown J/F to the Caribean partly sponsored by your car payment.
Hi may I request how we get 2x-4x of 3.3% as per my understanding we get only 3.3% reward points ... which equals to 3.3 miles of different airlines( transfer partner of DCB).
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by raji
Hi may I request how we get 2x-4x of 3.3% as per my understanding we get only 3.3% reward points ... which equals to 3.3 miles of different airlines( transfer partner of DCB).
It's based on how you redeem and value your points. For DCB 1 point = 1 airmile = Rs. 1 (for hotel and smartbuy bookings). Now if you buy flight ticket that costs Rs. 10,000 for 20,000 miles you've got a value of Rs. 0.50 per mile - which is half the "minimum assured" value you'd get through Smartbuy and hence a bad deal. Instead if you bought a ticket that costs Rs. 10,000 for 2,000 miles you've got a value of Rs. 5 per mile - which is a very good return.

So if you buy long haul J/F tickets using your DCB points - you can get a value of Rs. 3-6 per mile based on the above calculation - and therefore a 3x-6x return.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:58 am

2x partners changed again. Now its Cred rent, Nykaa, Kalyan Jewellers & IDP Education
Old Mar 16, 2021, 9:22 am

HDFC seems to be going all out on handing out cash backs and gift cards these last couple of months.

This month I've got monthly spend bonuses from HDFC (3rd month running I think) & PayZapp and weekly bonuses from PayzApp! Kinda crazy 10-20% returns for not doing much!

Now if only they'd raise the silly 7.5k limit on DCB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.