Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

suggestions for 12-hour layover DEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines

Expect to be pretty tired after TATL to DEL arriving about 5PM, so what to do with 12 hour layover until early AM connection on JetAir to JAI. Any suggestions? Can I hang in airport overnight and find some quiet place to stretch out and rest my head? *A clubs of any help or do they close fairly early? Nearby hotels where could get in and out fairly quickly and not expensive? Suggestions welcome.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:28 am

I'd get a cheap hotel near the airport. Red Fox is good or Four Points Sheraton. Make sure it is a reputable hotel as many of the cheaper hotels near the airport are terrible.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
I'd get a cheap hotel near the airport. Red Fox is good or Four Points Sheraton. Make sure it is a reputable hotel as many of the cheaper hotels near the airport are terrible.
Thanks. Better than trying to hang around in airport? Not too much of a hassle to get there by cab or other means, in and out of room, and back to airport and through security for flight in time available?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by itsme
Expect to be pretty tired after TATL to DEL arriving about 5PM, so what to do with 12 hour layover until early AM connection on JetAir to JAI. Any suggestions? Can I hang in airport overnight and find some quiet place to stretch out and rest my head? *A clubs of any help or do they close fairly early? Nearby hotels where could get in and out fairly quickly and not expensive? Suggestions welcome.
Jaipur is kinda close to delhi, the usual transit time from DEL to JAI is 3-4 hours. Why wait in the airport for 12 hours?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by bharathitman
Jaipur is kinda close to delhi, the usual transit time from DEL to JAI is 3-4 hours. Why wait in the airport for 12 hours?
Exactly, get the airport express to the railway station and catch a train or just take a cab from the airport. same cost as the flight and you'll arrive 10 hours earlier.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bharathitman
I'm joining up with someone else whose schedule requires me to meet up with him in the AM at DEL, and we will fly together to JAI.

Any thoughts about what I can do to rest before continuing on in AM? Would love to hear that there are decent, not too expensive hotels not far from airport and I could leave airport and get back in AM without much hassle. After I arrive international, can I go directly to where my internal (DEL-JAI) flight will depart, or must I go through customs and then re-enter, perhaps going through security. Expect long lines and/or other hassles make that international to internal transition in airport, and/or lines and hassles leaving airport for a hotel and returning for an early AM flight? Would like to have a sense of how it will likely work.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i would suggest the four points by sheraton....will be relatively cheap, 5-7 minute drive from the airport, decent rooms & good food....
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:29 am

Any thoughts about what I can do to rest before continuing on in AM? Would love to hear that there are decent, not too expensive hotels not far from airport and I could leave airport and get back in AM without much hassle. After I arrive international, can I go directly to where my internal (DEL-JAI) flight will depart, or must I go through customs and then re-enter, perhaps going through security. Expect long lines and/or other hassles make that international to internal transition in airport, and/or lines and hassles leaving airport for a hotel and returning for an early AM flight? Would like to have a sense of how it will likely work.
Depending on your airline you will be departing from a different terminal which isn't very close to the international one. You could go to a hotel near the airport as suggested, such as the Sheraton, or if you wanted to have dinner in the city, maybe explore, take the airport express to the railway station (24 minutes direct from the international terminal) and stay at a hotel in/around CP (Connaught Place). Same airport express back in the morning. Easiest way into the city (depending where you're going of course).
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Depending on your airline you will be departing from a different terminal which isn't very close to the international one.
OP mentioned it is 9W so it would be from same terminal T3-Domestic Side.

Also, best bet would be to opt for either Sheraton/Red Fox both of which are decent, quick and not too expensive options.

After arriving, your immigration & customs would be done in DEL however you won't be allowed to enter the domestic side for your JAI flight as for domestic flights entry is usually before 3-4 hours and security would prevent you from entering terminal.

Next day AM would be a normal domestic flight where by you check-in, clear security and board no further customs or anything. Due to multiple 9W counters in T3 on domestic side, this should be a quick hassle-free process.

I would strongly prefer to catch few hours of sleep in above mentioned nearby hotels after long INT flight and come 60mins before AM flight!

Cheers!
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice about how to spend the 12-hour DEL layover. Will check out Four Point because it is close, reasonably priced and I have SPG. Helpful to know that no prospect of hanging out a airport.

Any prospect of my seeing inside of any airline club if I have to go through customs after arrival from abroad, then leave international terminal? How late do those clubs remain open?

Will I need rupees to get a cab, or will some dollars in my pocket work? ATMs are available in airport for me to get rupees right away?

Again, thanks.

(BTW, I'll be flying to Jet Air, since it leaves earlier in AM than AI.)
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:40 am

Thanks to all for the advice about how to spend the 12-hour DEL layover. Will check out Four Point because it is close, reasonably priced and I have SPG. Helpful to know that no prospect of hanging out a airport.

Any prospect of my seeing inside of any airline club if I have to go through customs after arrival from abroad, then leave international terminal? How late do those clubs remain open?

Will I need rupees to get a cab, or will some dollars in my pocket work? ATMs are available in airport for me to get rupees right away?

Again, thanks.

(BTW, I'll be flying to Jet Air, since it leaves earlier in AM than AI.)

FPS is good and has a nice restaurant. You can buy some snacks/drinks in the arrivals hall because that is quite expensive at the hotel.

FPS sometimes has a rate that includes r/t airport transfer which is worth it.

There are ATMs in the arrivals hall after customs.

There are lounges in T3 int,. arrivals and domestic departures that you can enter with a variety of credit/lounge cards or can pay for. But I wouldn't waste my time on it if you are going to a hotel.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:57 am

I always use Uber in India, cabs will always try to rip you off. If you have to take a cab get a Meru (ugly green colour), they're a nationwide company and go by the meter.

ATMs easily accessible in the airport.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

Those are good for killing 3-4 hours, not 12 hours. I'd just go to my hotel.

Get rupees. Try Central Bank counter in the baggage area before customs (Thomas Cook has higher fees), or ATMS outside. Do not try to pay merchants in dollars, and do not change currency at the hotel. If using credit card, make sure the charged bill is in rupees.

Last edited by aktchi; Nov 6, 2015 at 12:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.