AI nonstop BLR / DEL- SFO

Old Apr 24, 16, 12:04 am

DEL to SFO non-stop AI173 is now extended to Bangalore as well: BLR - DEL - SFO

AI is using same flight number (AI173) for both BLR to DEL, and DEL to SFO legs. However, BLR to DEL is on a Airbus A321 and DEL to SFO is on Dreamliner. There's a 2.5 hrs transit at DEL.

I have a few questions:
a) Has anyone tried this route? Please share experiences.

b) Does the immigration happen at BLR for SFO-bound passengers? Or, does it happen at DEL (if so, is 2.5 hrs sufficient for that)?

c) Can baggages be checked-in at BLR through to SFO, without needing to collect and re-check at DEL?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I called up AI helpline and got these answers:
b) Immigration happens at DEL airport for SFO-bound passengers arriving from BLR.

c) Bags can be checked-in through at BLR and can be collected at SFO directly.

But I see contradictory news reports about immigration, which says immigration happens at BLR itself:
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/air-i...galuru-1245985
http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/201...bangalore.html

Last edited by qwertyvbnm; Apr 24, 16 at 12:16 am
Old Apr 24, 16, 2:00 am

Air India has extended DEL-SFO non-stop flight to Bangalore as well.

Air India is using same flight number (“AI173”) for both BLR to DEL, and DEL to SFO legs. BLR to DEL is on an Airbus A321 and DEL to SFO is on Boeing 777. There's a 2.5 hrs transit at DEL, and travellers arriving from BLR have to switch planes.

I have a few questions:
a) Has anyone tried this route? How was the experience?

b) Does the customs and immigration happen at BLR for SFO-bound passengers? Or, does it happen at DEL (if so, is 2.5 hrs sufficient for that)?

c) Can bags be checked-in at BLR and directly collected at SFO?
Old Apr 24, 16, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by qwertyvbnm View Post
Air India has extended DEL-SFO non-stop flight to Bangalore as well.

Air India is using same flight number (“AI173”) for both BLR to DEL, and DEL to SFO legs. BLR to DEL is on an Airbus A321 and DEL to SFO is on Boeing 777. There's a 2.5 hrs transit at DEL, and travellers arriving from BLR have to switch planes.

I have a few questions:
a) Has anyone tried this route? How was the experience?

b) Does the customs and immigration happen at BLR for SFO-bound passengers? Or, does it happen at DEL (if so, is 2.5 hrs sufficient for that)?

c) Can bags be checked-in at BLR and directly collected at SFO?
I travelled on this flight in Feb and here are the answers -

1) Pretty decent flight - no issues
2) Customs/Immigration happens in BLR - you need to disembark in Delhi and get on to a B777 but it there is enough time for it
3) Bags checked in BLR to be collected in SFO - no need to recheck anything in DEL
Old Apr 24, 16, 4:17 am

Thanks for the info.

Does BLR-DEL and DEL-SFO flights arrive and depart respectively from same terminal (T3) at Delhi?

After disembarking from BLR-DEL flight, do the passengers (and cabin bags) go through security check before boarding DEL-SFO flight?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 16, 8:34 am

Thanks for the info.

Does BLR-DEL and DEL-SFO flights arrive and depart respectively from same terminal (T3) at Delhi?

After disembarking from BLR-DEL flight, do the passengers (and cabin bags) go through security check before boarding DEL-SFO flight?

Thanks!
Yes - all AI flights are from T3. You will have to go through a security check at DEL - but its a pretty short line only for transit passengers so doesnt take a lot of time.
Old May 11, 16, 6:25 am

Looking at SFO traffic stats this route is doing very well. March inbound PLFs AI 98% compared to EK's 84% and MU's 75%. If I understand correctly AI fares are highest and MU being the cheapest.

That is impossible based on negative publicity AI gets and almost certainly everyone on internet claims AI can never demand premium.
Old May 11, 16, 6:41 am

Programs: Shangri-La Jade, Best Western Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avcritic View Post
Looking at SFO traffic stats this route is doing very well. March inbound PLFs AI 98% compared to EK's 84% and MU's 75%. If I understand correctly AI fares are highest and MU being the cheapest.

That is impossible based on negative publicity AI gets and almost certainly everyone on internet claims AI can never demand premium.
Could you please point to such a link which shows these stats?

Update: Found it, never mind

So, does this mean their premium classes are also doing pretty well? That LF will not be achieved if Y is 100% full and rest are empty.

Last edited by deovrat; May 11, 16 at 6:48 am
Old May 11, 16, 9:16 am

13 flights in March 238 capacity each brings total available seats to 3094. Inbound ~3054 pax.

With 104(13x8) F seats offered, so even we assume Y and J were full, puts F LF at 50%. Not bad.

Even if AI removes F, it should not discard the current Y config, which is far superior to its competitors. There are too many comments about AI interiors not being clean, something AI should work on.
Old May 11, 16, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
Could you please point to such a link which shows these stats?

Update: Found it, never mind
Can you provide the link for us?

Thanks!
Old May 12, 16, 1:28 am

Programs: Shangri-La Jade, Best Western Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Can you provide the link for us?

Thanks!
Here's the link. You download a .zip file, inside which an Excel spreadsheet outlines the traffic statistics at SFO.
Old Jun 12, 16, 1:26 pm

Does AI173 (BLR-DEL-SFO) allow web check-in? (mainly for seat selection purpose)

Last edited by qwertyvbnm; Jun 12, 16 at 6:59 pm
Old Jun 13, 16, 3:14 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Does AI173 (BLR-DEL-SFO) allow web check-in? (mainly for seat selection purpose)
Log in with your First name, Last name and PNR, find your itinerary on AI website, and you can select/change your seats, add FF#, make meal selections, etc.
Old Jan 23, 17, 3:31 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Has anybody flown this AI route DEL-SFO and back recently? How are the J/F product and service now that the route has become routine?

I've seen this boarding area trip report from last year when AI was using a very senior and experienced crew (including flying for the PM) on this route and the route itself was brand new. How is it now that it has stabilized / become routine?

Given that the dreamliners, brand new, are starting to see niggles with broken seats / stuck PTV etc I am not sure what state the 772LRs used for this route are in currently.
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Yes
Thanks!
Yes, passengers go through security check at Delhi.
Old Jan 25, 17, 6:04 pm

Anybody know why DEL-SFO is not on a polar/great circle route?

Flight Tracker shows a Pacific routing (9459 miles vs 7982 otherwise)

Ditto for enroute flight

Last edited by malgudi; Jan 25, 17 at 7:37 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: