Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI International connector award availability

Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to book a United MileagePlus award from EWR to BOM. The strange thing I see is that both United and ANA websites show that there is no J availability for EWR-BOM on Flight AI144. But if I search for EWR-AMD, which has EWR-BOM and BOM-AMD as its segments since it is an international connector flight; J awards show up even though it is still the same Flight AI144 for the EWR-BOM segment.

Anyone faced issue like this? Does calling in help or do the agents see similar availability?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:42 am

i think there is something called married segments which could be the reason.try to google it and you will find out more.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by skor
Does calling in help or do the agents see similar availability?
the agents would see the same availability....there is no harm in trying though....
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by mrahul
i think there is something called married segments which could be the reason.try to google it and you will find out more.
Correct.
Well known issue with the new UA.....flyer friendly airline
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Strictly speaking, this isn't a married segment issue, because the EWR-AMD is in the system as a single segment. However, the idea is similar. The reason for the difference is because AI applies different inventory controls for different markets.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Interesting. Is there any way to ticket EWR - AMD using UA miles and then get off in BOM w/ luggage also? Doesn't luggage/customs happen in AMD on this flight?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: Blas..
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Interesting. Is there any way to ticket EWR - AMD using UA miles and then get off in BOM w/ luggage also? Doesn't luggage/customs happen in AMD on this flight?
Allegedly, it is the same A/C which goes on from BOM to AMD so while disembarking only the pax with BOM on their BPs are allowed to get off in BOM so tough to get off.

You are right - customs/Immi for AMD bound passengers is done in AMD
Old Sep 4, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Not sure if this is the right thread -

I used to see AI availability on United MileagePlus awards. Now I only see UK award seats within India and none of AI flights. Anything going on?
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Not sure if this is the right thread -

I used to see AI availability on United MileagePlus awards. Now I only see UK award seats within India and none of AI flights. Anything going on?
No this isn't the right thread. You should post this in the UA MP forum.

MP has been having some issues with AI recently. Also most of the UK availability is ghost and not bookable even by CS agents...
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
If you can find availability on Expertflyer/Lifemiles, call UA and they should be able to ticket it for you.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, UK Silver, AA Silver
Originally Posted by Anish
If you can find availability on Expertflyer/Lifemiles, call UA and they should be able to ticket it for you.
It didn't work for me. I asked a friend to check award availability on Flying Returns. She could multiple seats available. But when I called the United CC, they said sorry they could only see UK availability and no AI.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by deepism
It didn't work for me. I asked a friend to check award availability on Flying Returns. She could multiple seats available. But when I called the United CC, they said sorry they could only see UK availability and no AI.
Availability on AI is no reason it would be available to UA. You could check other *A partners like SQ or even AV to see that award is available to *A partners - then there's a better chance of that being available to UA.

UA CS anyways refuses/is unable to book itineraries that don't show on the public MP portal. And as I said earlier...

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
MP has been having some issues with AI recently. Also most of the UK availability is ghost and not bookable even by CS agents...
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:59 am

UA CS anyways refuses/is unable to book itineraries that don't show on the public MP portal. And as I said earlier...
Yeah, it seemed to me the CS agent was searching on the MP portal based on the dates I enquired and the result I could see on the MP portal. The broader question now is what should be my FF strategy now because I already have access to UK awards courtesy Axis card. Is it time to start using AI FR? Or will you guy recommend another * Alliance FF?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by deepism
Yeah, it seemed to me the CS agent was searching on the MP portal based on the dates I enquired and the result I could see on the MP portal. The broader question now is what should be my FF strategy now because I already have access to UK awards courtesy Axis card. Is it time to start using AI FR? Or will you guy recommend another * Alliance FF?
Hard to advise what your FF strategy should be without knowing anything about your travel related habbits etc. Why FR? How are you going earn miles there - only the SBI AI CC is useful for that.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:42 am

Hard to advise what your FF strategy should be without knowing anything about your travel related habbits etc. Why FR? How are you going earn miles there - only the SBI AI CC is useful for that.
I wanted a back up for domestic award travel when vistara isn't available. So far I had been using UA to book on AI. I always got availability on AI when vistara wasn't available. But now, since UA is only showing UK, which I could have anyways booked through UK directly, my back up option is gone.
You have a point about FR. The SBI credit card isn't worth the hassle. I tried it and closed it. Pathetic customer service. I wouldn't buy that credit card again.

Without a credit card, the only source of miles is flying. Which is 20 return BOM-DEL in Y, 1 US and 1 UK in J plus a couple of vacation trips abroad in Y.

which program is still giving AI inventory?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.