Wiki Posts
Search

Fog in Delhi, advice please!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

On Dec 22---as I am sure the date matters for fog issues---I'll have to: Fly PNQ-DEL; then connect to an international flight DEL-LHR (BA) about 3:40 AM next morning.

These will be separate tickets, so misconnecting is not an option.

My primary worry is the notorious Delhi fog which can ground all flights. So how much safety should I build in? In order of most convenient/risky connections, here are a few flight options organized as most convenient / risky first:

A. Depart PNQ 8 PM - Arrive DEL 10 PM. This will be very convenient connection at normal times. Arrive, hang around at the airport 1-2 hours, check in. Even if my own flt got canceled, there are three later ones. However, this will be very risky if the DEL fog grounds domestic flights, but international ones are given priority and cleared to take off.

B. 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM. A little safer. As long as we can get to DEL by midnight, we'll be ok, but not any later. Need to kill 6 hours, manageable.

C. 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM. Even safer. Need to kill 10 hours.

D. 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM. Probably the safest. Will need to kill a whole day in DEL, with luggage.

Dear Delhi fog experts, what would you do?

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 19, 2014 at 1:25 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:59 pm

I'm not a "Delhi fog expert", but it is my impression that Delhi no longer has the same level of fog problems that it used to some years ago, as a result of the slow but steady increase in Cat-IIIB compliance by airlines.

In any case fog is not usually a problem in the afternoon or early evening. There are always exceptions, of course.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 18, 2014 at 2:29 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I am still waiting to hear from those who know Delhi fog whether the option B is safe enough, or do we need to go for C?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Fog last year was pretty bad too: airlines (except 9W) were better prepared to deal with it. AI rotated their Cat3 rated pilots to DEL for the 2 months that fog was at its worst. AI A32S flights all operated with a max delay of an hour or so. Not too sure about 6E since it operated from a different terminal.

9W was an unmitigated disaster all through!

A good idea may be to pick flights after 8AM, since fog starts clearing up by then. I usually play extra safe and only pick late evening flights.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks ashishp. This raises an interesting question: which carrier is expected to be best prepared with cat3 capablity in order to deal with fog?

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 18, 2014 at 9:22 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Thanks ashishp. This raises an interesting question: of course, 9W has a great sae going on, but which carrier is expected to be best prepared with cat3 capablity in order to deal with fog?
haven't been to Delhi for a while.Justthoughtmention. It here that. 9W is having bad luck streak lately .
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Due to Delhi fog in January 2014, 9W left us stranded in Indore for 2 days and it cost us over $1000 extra to get home. I hope you can avoid our fate! I agree that AI is much more reliable in fog, and that's how we ultimately got to DEL.

Is it possible for you to leave from BOM? That would save you a lot of headaches!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus

The Delhi fog situation has improved considerably however last year my parents flight got cancelled after a wait of 6 hours at the airport. I would rather spend a day in Delhi meeting friends or sightseeing rather than have the anxiety.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:00 am

Last winter saw some zero-visibility days, but it's not like it happened every day or most days. One can overcompensate based on the worst-case scenario. Before that there were some years without major fog disruptions.

Even the OP's Option A will probably be fine. I've made similar connections in DEL in winter a couple of times in the last five years (this is also anecdotal, of course).
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by SanFranCA
Due to Delhi fog in January 2014, 9W left us stranded in Indore for 2 days and it cost us over $1000 extra to get home. I hope you can avoid our fate! I agree that AI is much more reliable in fog, and that's how we ultimately got to DEL.

Is it possible for you to leave from BOM? That would save you a lot of headaches!
Welcome to FT ! SFC

I second the thought, specially when the OP wants to leave from PNQ. It is just around 3.5 hours drive between the airports.

About you being stranded in Indore for 2 days.. 2 days is pretty long, was it that bad ? And you mean to say 9W was not flying to Delhi, while AI was ?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:28 am

On Dec 22---as I am sure the date matters for fog issues---I'll have to: Fly PNQ-DEL; then connect to an international flight DEL-LHR (BA) about 3:40 AM next morning.

These will be separate tickets, so misconnecting is not an option.

My primary worry is the notorious Delhi fog which can ground all flights. So how much safety should I build in? In order of most convenient/risky connections, here are a few flight options organized as most convenient / risky first:

A. Depart PNQ 8 PM - Arrive DEL 10 PM. This will be very convenient connection at normal times. Arrive, hang around at the airport 1-2 hours, check in. Even if my flt own got canceled, there are three later ones. However, this will be very risky if the DEL fog grounds domestic flights, but international ones are given priority and cleared to take off.

B. 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM. A little safer. As long as we can get to DEL by midnight, we'll be ok, but not any later. Need to kill 6 hours, manageable.

D. 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM. Probably the safest. Will need to kill a whole day in DEL, with luggage.

Dear Delhi fog experts, what would you do?
In such cases, I would go previous morning, as even if there is a delay due to fog, one has the time to think for other options to get to DEL. You dont want to know last minute that your flight can not fly and you have literally no option to get to DEL.

Usually I will do morning flight, then take up a hotel (much better than the risk of missing an international connection) or I will go to a relatives place.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanFranCA
Due to Delhi fog in January 2014, 9W left us stranded in Indore for 2 days and it cost us over $1000 extra to get home. I hope you can avoid our fate! I agree that AI is much more reliable in fog, and that's how we ultimately got to DEL...Is it possible for you to leave from BOM? That would save you a lot of headaches!
An especially warm welcome to FT---I notice that your very first post was to answer my question!

I am so sorry to hear about your IDR expense. Another reminder of the importance of travel insurance.

In my case, BOM was not an option; DEL was the only option compatible with our dates and other constraints.

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 19, 2014 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Thanks ashishp. This raises an interesting question: which carrier is expected to be best prepared with cat3 capablity in order to deal with fog?
AI and 6E. 9W has the capabilities as well, but their service is all over the place right now. Option B seems fine, but if you're planning to stay at a hotel, might as well go for option C. Option D is not very good IMO, unless you have relatives or friends to stay with, or plan to see the city.

Good luck!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
A. Depart PNQ 8 PM - Arrive DEL 10 PM. This will be very convenient connection at normal times. Arrive, hang around at the airport 1-2 hours, check in. Even if my own flt got canceled, there are three later ones. However, this will be very risky if the DEL fog grounds domestic flights, but international ones are given priority and cleared to take off.

i would go with option c in a heartbeat....i've had way too many cancelled & delayed flights during fog season to even risk an early morning or evening flight....
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i would go with option c in a heartbeat....i've had way too many cancelled & delayed flights during fog season to even risk an early morning or evening flight....
I dont feel its the safest ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.