Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flying Returns and Star Alliance Awards [eff. Jul 11, 2014] Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LT PE, NEXUS/GE

I was able to book AI using AC aeroplan miles this evening. I was able to book F from ORD-DEL and back as part of in itinerary starting and ending in YYZ.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kaushik123
I am interested in redeeming awards on Air India for an intra-India positioning flight to connect to an international *A flight out of DEL or BOM. Hopefully they will release awards to *A partners starting July 11th.

How does one search for internal AI award availability today for their frequent flyer program? Can you do it online or do you have to call an AI helpdesk?
I can find award availability for Intra India on AI Flying Returns site, but United told me the destination I was interested in going from Delhi is not showing in their partner network. Not sure when AI will open up some of these smaller cities for Star awards. Anyone know how to find out? I am not very optimistic of getting a reply from AI if I emailed them.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:36 am

Will united ever display AI award on united website?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by McScruffy
I was able to book AI using AC aeroplan miles this evening. I was able to book F from ORD-DEL and back as part of in itinerary starting and ending in YYZ.
Out of curiosity, was there a high YQ with the AE redemption?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LT PE, NEXUS/GE

There was no YQ, but I'll have to double check. I paid $114.96 (CAD) in taxes and fees.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
Seats are comfortable and so is the service. They have come a long way in last 2-3 years.
Maybe stopping AI from joining last time was a good thing?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold
36000 miles to redeem economy round trip in north america? Now why would I ever want to do that

Why would singapore charge 25k and Air India charge 36k for the same ticket?
Don't understand these discrepencies within Star alliance partners
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:14 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by k819
36000 miles to redeem economy round trip in north america? Now why would I ever want to do that

there is no discrepancy. each airline runs their own program, and some such as the US based ones make it easy to earn miles via non-flying spend and some others make it difficult to earn miles. Not all miles are the same value, and should not be construed as one.

Star alliance is an airline alliance, not a mega frequent flyer program which issues currency to 27 carriers.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by A2A
there is no discrepancy. each airline runs their own program, and some such as the US based ones make it easy to earn miles via non-flying spend and some others make it difficult to earn miles. Not all miles are the same value, and should not be construed as one.

Star alliance is an airline alliance, not a mega frequent flyer program which issues currency to 27 carriers.
Agreed upon Star alliance

But I dont see a reason why I should keep my miles with Air India until and unless I want to fly them, rather keep em with united or Singapore or some one else

My question is, where can you keep the star alliance miles with? Air India is definetly not one of them, if you dont want to have air india alone as the option
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

I believe with 9W and BA you can get RT for small distance for much less on their partners. It all depends on the program. Some programs suck on the burn and earn side. But people still stick with it if there are other benefits especially if they live in that airline's hub.

AC charges 110K for RT from the US to India but UA charges 85K.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:34 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Agreed upon Star alliance

But I dont see a reason why I should keep my miles with Air India until and unless I want to fly them, rather keep em with united or Singapore or some one else

My question is, where can you keep the star alliance miles with? Air India is definetly not one of them, if you dont want to have air india alone as the option
you can choose to keep your miles elsewhere, and that is in your hands. I participate in BA, 9W, AI and AA's program on an ongoing basis. so yes, you'd have to figure out the value granted by the airline in exchange for your loyalty. on AI or 9W, I am ahead in line if they do op-ups, and on some segments, it happens very often.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: QFF
Does AI release more than 1 J award to *A partners. Looking for 2 J awards on lifemiles but it only ever shows availability for 1 seat, never 2.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:24 am

Awards vary and generally you will get a better deal flying with the airline you earn the miles on using their own FF program.

Look at the SQ awards page and you will need slightly fewer Kris miles for the same route if it is flown on SQ vs redeeming on another Star Alliance airline, and you get a 15% discount on the miles required for an online redemption.

Air India will give you 200% miles in business class vs SQ 125% however if you credit those miles into your Kris flyer account SQ will only award 125% instead of the 200% you would get with AIs Flying Returns. If you redeem your AI miles for SQ flights you will need more miles and lose the 15% discount.

AI will also let you pool miles with your spouse.

Air India have very cheap business class fares to Europe from Singapore and two return trips costing around $5000 would give you Star Alliance Gold status.

A single return trip on SQ would cost over $7000 and wouldn't even get you Silver. The price of one return trip to Europe in SQ business class would get you three business class returns on AI and top tier Maharajah status.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
went through a bit of an interesting exercise with ai today....i have a wedding to attend in athens over the summer so was looking for 3 one way ath-del business class award tickets....

my first option was to book regular economy tickets on a3 from ath-fco & then award tickets on ai from fco-del....the a3 tickets would cost me €75 per person & the ai award ticket is 90k miles + €60 in taxes per person....only problem here is that if i try to book for 2 adults & 1 child then the price jumps to €380 total....booking for 3 adults brings the price down to €180....if none of the other options work for me then i'll call ai to try & figure this out....

second option, i also have some ua miles so explored that option as well....ua wants 45k miles + $45 in taxes per person for the same itinerary mentioned above....with this option the entire journey would now be in business class....only problem is that i am short about 50k ua miles so would need to figure out how to get that....

third option was to use ai miles to book the same star alliance award as option # 2....called ai & the agent had never heard of athens before....it took a couple of minutes for her to understand that this was a city in greece....she kept trying to find it but would only come back with a city in the u.s. with the same name....i hung up & called again....got another agent who had the same problem....after a long time on hold she finally found ath on her system & again put me on hold to get more details....finally she comes back & quotes 65k miles + inr 27k per person....i thanked her for her time & hung up....

ai has removed yq from its award tickets so i wonder why they are charging so much for the star alliance award, especially since the flight is on ai....
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
finally she comes back & quotes 65k miles + inr 27k per person....i thanked her for her time & hung up....
Did she mention explicitly what routing these taxes were for? You might expect her to return with taxes for ATH-FCO-DEL, but the fuel surcharge desk often have their own ideas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.