Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming Jet BOM-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Upcoming Jet BOM-EWR

We will be in J. Catching up w. this board re: Jet is causing furrows in my brow. Could recent travelers of this route comment about service in J? I have read that the Brussels lounge is good. Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
service in j is pretty decent & i like the lounge in bru....is there anything in particular you want to know????
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
This route is operated by the new 330-300's, not the older 330-200's, which means a forward facing Contour Vantage 2 seats, similar to Swiss. I personally prefer the older herringbone layout, especially since I have large feet and find the foot cubbies on the seats quite compact and uncomfortable.
As far as service and food is concerned there have definitely been cutbacks from what Jet used to be - if you are used to the old Jet, you will definitely be disappointed.
Crews can vary, but in general, I find the Mumbai based crew the best of the lost (they will be operating both the BOM-BRU and BRU-EWR flights).
The BRU lounge is decent but nowhere near the likes of a CX, BA, VS lounge. They only have one shower and its very hard to get that - which is the one thing I want from a lounge after an overnight flight.

BOM-BRU will feature a "heavy" snack and desert on departure, and a full breakfast on arrival with 4 options normally (egg option, pancake or waffle type sweet option, south indian veg & north indian veg). They will very often run out of choices by the time they get to take your order - this has unfortunately become par for the course on Jet. You can request a non-veg or veg-meal upto 24 hours prior to departure - I suggest you do this. Cabin crew will most likely not even bother to look at these requests while taking orders. I always prebook my non-veg meal and then when I am not offered a choice, I insist and keep a copy of my printout showing pre-booked meal. This obviously does not help in the event of running out of one of the two non-veg options available on international flights, but I find it particularly useful on breakfast flights.

For BRU-EWR you will be served drinks, nuts and lunch after take off and a snack before arrival. The catering out of BRU is usually quite good.
My suggestion on meal choice here is make sure to board early and tell the crew what you want rather than wait for them to come around taking orders.

Entertainment is pretty decent but headphones are of average to poor quality.

If you have any other specific questions about certain aspects of the experience then please do tell - will be happy to share details.

I would still say that Jet, even in this scaled back version is better than most US and European carriers - but now a far cry from most better Asian and Middle Eastern airlines.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by avm2806
This route is operated by the new 330-300's, not the older 330-200's, which means a forward facing Contour Vantage 2 seats, similar to Swiss. I personally prefer the older herringbone layout, especially since I have large feet and find the foot cubbies on the seats quite compact and uncomfortable.
i agree....my last flight on this route had the new layout on bom-bru & the old one on bru-ewr....the new layout is terrible....
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
Try and avoid last row, especially the aisles. Last time I sat on 8C and it was awful. 1A seems like the best seat.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the very useful information. We last flew Jet about 5 years ago so I guess we can prepare to be disappointed! We've registered for non-veg meals, so we'll see.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:26 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

I flew this route twice this year. Read the comments and reviews here and decided on the following:

-Members of this forum suggested I should stick with 9W lounge, rather than try the Diamond. I did that and was happy. It was not very crowded until later. Turn left toward the older F area (and where the shower is) and it is quieter. It is farther from food, but not a big deal for me.

-Let them know as you checkin (lounge checkin, not flight checkin) that you will need to use the shower (if you plan to). Somedays they keep a list, somedays they don't (but they will claim they always have a list).

-Previously, members here criticized the new seating as coffin-like. Even here, others have criticized the seating. But I did not have any problem. I actually liked the coffins because you get table area on both sides of the seat. Nice not to have to move something when they serve nuts.

-Service. Like any other context, varies by the crew you end-up with. Of the four trips (two round trips) this year, two were delightful, one was tolerable, and one was bad. They also add their hilarious twists of hospitality. Example, I was listening to music and looking out the window, when an FA walks by and decides to press the button on his own to turn my seat upright. The landing announcement was at least another five minutes away. I am sure he thought he was being helpful by not disturbing me, but I don't like people changing my seat position without at least alerting me. It did startle me.

-Food. If you order a special meal, with some crew, the onus is on you to check that all courses they serve are from the special meal. Once even the flight supervisor attempted to serve me the regular soup. Consider yourself warned if you can't tolerate some foods. Oh, they do't do Camomile. Earl Gray is the closest.

-Pass the hot towels if you can get away without them. Twice they were dripping and once they smelt too much like some chemical. No more 9W hot towels for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.