Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Any low-cost carriers moving to T3 at Delhi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Hi,

For awhile, there was talk of the LCCs moving from 1D to 3 at IGI airport. Does anyone know if this is still in the pipeline, or what the timeline is?

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: Jet Privilege
My opinion is 1D should be an exclusive low cost terminal, even for international ops. Makes it much easier for 6E, SG and others to transfer their pax seamlessly.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:53 am
Original Poster

I'd rather see them transfer to T3, which has more amenities and better connectivity, including the Airport Express line. Not to mention ease of connecting from one airline to another.

Regardless, I know there was discussion in 2011 of shifting all of these airlines to T3. What is the status of those talks?

It seems like a shortsighted move to charge different amounts to those using T1D and T3.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by intltravel90
Regardless, I know there was discussion in 2011 of shifting all of these airlines to T3. What is the status of those talks?
source????
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:43 am
Original Poster

I remembered talk at the time, especially with the LCCs pushing to have intl flights out of 1D, for the shift to happen in the other direction (as it has, to a limited degree, at BOM). But to be fair, the only source I'm seeing now is Wikipedia, so perhaps my memory is hazy.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Keyser, does your memory differ on this point?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Keyser, does your memory differ on this point?
i recall hearing something about this some time back but it was more chatter than something that was in the pipeline....haven't heard anything on this topic now for a number of years....
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
T3 has very high airport costs relative to T1D - if the LCCs moved, they would be even less competitive on price.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
T3 has very high airport costs relative to T1D - if the LCCs moved, they would be even less competitive on price.
For sure. But why is that? It's the same airport operator, so they're choosing to disincentivize the LCCs from moving to T3. Don't you think they'd benefit from consolidation of services to the larger terminal (as long as it's not over capacity)?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
For sure. But why is that? It's the same airport operator, so they're choosing to disincentivize the LCCs from moving to T3. Don't you think they'd benefit from consolidation of services to the larger terminal (as long as it's not over capacity)?
T3 is more expensive to operate, therefore the airport operator charges higher fees. It's not that complicated

This debate is hardly unique to DEL anyway: http://crankyflier.com/2010/07/22/sa...-new-terminal/
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

T3 is more expensive to operate, therefore the airport operator charges higher fees. It's not that complicated

This debate is hardly unique to DEL anyway: http://crankyflier.com/2010/07/22/sa...-new-terminal/
Thanks for sharing the article. I agree that the airport operator needs to recoup the costs somehow. I'm simply commenting that if operations were consolidated at T3 (which, in general, has better facilities, etc), then the average costs would come down as the number of players goes up. So yes, IndiGo etc would pay marginally more - but not as much more as it initially seems.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Of course, I'm sure you're correct that they've done the math on it and this doesn't make sense for any individual airline. It's just a question as to whether the operator will want to consolidate.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:11 am

Another factor which needs to be kept in mind is space constraints - it's more economical to keep operations in T1D than to expand T3. IGIA is expecting both domestic and international service to increase steadily in the coming years, as India continues to develop and AI continues to add service to its hub.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
It is my understanding that the consortium that manages DEL airport only agreed to pour in money to update T1 after an assurance that LCC's will continue to operate there.

International ops from T1 are held up due to some problem with Customs authorities.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Another factor which needs to be kept in mind is space constraints - it's more economical to keep operations in T1D than to expand T3. IGIA is expecting both domestic and international service to increase steadily in the coming years, as India continues to develop and AI continues to add service to its hub.
That makes a lot of sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.