Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Urgent advice: AI ORD-DEL to DEL-CCU misconnect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Hello All,

Mrs. Leonidas is on AI 126 in the sky right now. The flight left late by almost 5 hrs due to MX issues. It reaches Delhi at 8:30pm or so, and her next DEL-CCU AI 22 is scheduled at 8:45pm (delayed from original 8:15pm). It's the last scheduled DEL-CCU of the day.

She will likely misconnect. AI phone support just told me that they will run another special flight at night to accommodate misoccnect pax. Is that true?

Otherwise, I assume AI will give hotel etc.?

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:40 pm

I doubt if AI will run a special flight for misconnect pax...unless they have changed drastically recently...
if they give bad options, there is an early morning goair flight from del-ccu.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:46 pm

They're generally good about providing hotel accommodation. Unfortunately, they may still use the Centaur, which is their own hotel and is a filthy pit. (Admittedly my information is a few years old, maybe they have cleaned it up or demolished it.)

The business about a special flight is BS, only a small fraction of the connecting passengers are going to CCU, are they going to operate an extra flight to everywhere in India?

The big risk is that tomorrow's flights to CCU could be full. I once spent two nights as KLM's guest in a nice Delhi hotel (Sheraton?), years ago, after my flight was late and nothing was available.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
They're generally good about providing hotel accommodation. Unfortunately, they may still use the Centaur, which is their own hotel and is a filthy pit. (Admittedly my information is a few years old, maybe they have cleaned it up or demolished it.)
Given a choice of the Centaur Hotel or sleeping on the airport floor for 2 days, the airport floor would be the easy and obvious choice.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:25 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
So what happened exactly? My guess is 022 waited for 126 and she did make it, maybe without bags.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
So what happened exactly? My guess is 022 waited for 126 and she did make it, maybe without bags.
AI 126 is still in the air, the drama will unfold tonite...

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=126

That said, AI treated me quite well a year ago in BOM when the domestic was late and I missed my AI coded LH longhaul. Got rebooked after a check with LH (since AI codeshares lapses at T-72h) to the next day and accommodated at a decent business hotel nearby. AI organised a shuttle to pick us up. It took a while to get accomodated and rebooked though. You have to wait for all misconnects to get rebooked, then a list of pax is prepared and led out of the terminal to get permission by the CISF to leave and then you wait for the hotel shuttle bus. The treatment is the same for all, so you have a mix of screming kids, jet lagged etc etc. We were a wild bunch of slave laborers on their way to GCC, some ABCDs and some middle class Indians. The GCC pax needed letters for their employer and immigration (to avoid being fired for not showing up) etc.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Star Gold
Delhi had fog today morning and as per Air India website 022 DEL-CCU is expected to leave now by 22.00 hours which is safer if her ORD flight lands at 20.30 or so
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Unfortunately, they may still use the Centaur, which is their own hotel and is a filthy pit. (Admittedly my information is a few years old, maybe they have cleaned it up or demolished it.)
unfortunately its still standing & still filthy....

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Given a choice of the Centaur Hotel or sleeping on the airport floor for 2 days, the airport floor would be the easy and obvious choice.
i agree....
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ngblr
Delhi had fog today morning and as per Air India website 022 DEL-CCU is expected to leave now by 22.00 hours which is safer if her ORD flight lands at 20.30 or so
a lot of fog today & i expect there to be more in the evening so there is a good chance her incoming flight might get further delayed....
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:27 pm

AI22 was delayed 4 hours and left after midnight, so Mrs. OP was undoubtedly spared the Centaur.

I thought Delhi had overcome fog issues with new radar systems. Of course I no longer fly via Delhi because of horrible memories of fog delays 10+ years ago, so I don't know how much it has improved.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks! SeeBuyFly is right. Mrs was spared the Centaur. She reached CCU at 2:30. Bags reached too.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought Delhi had overcome fog issues with new radar systems. Of course I no longer fly via Delhi because of horrible memories of fog delays 10+ years ago, so I don't know how much it has improved.
the fog situation is better but there are still delays....
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Unfortunately, they may still use the Centaur, which is their own hotel and is a filthy pit.
I was under the impression that the operator, HCI, was spun off from AI as part of Ajit Singh's reforms...?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

HOLY crap you guys were not kidding.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._of_Delhi.html

It's ranked 521 among 595 Delhi hotels! Divorce prevented....phew!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:25 am

let us know how AI handled it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.