Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Mumbai airport (BOM) connection/transfer/transit questions - dedicated thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: desi
Wiki Link
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights. Note that currently none of JET AIRWAYS flights fall into this category. ONLY CERTAIN AIR INDIA flights

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or 9W or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 11, 13, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL

Mumbai (BOM) connections/transfer questions come up often, so I thought we should strive to have a dedicated thread. Please post here, carefully specifying the airline name, arrival or departure, international or domestic. I'll try to maintain an updated summary.

I'll start out with a question of my own. I am arriving by BA at 12:30AM (peak time for BOM, I believe). One possible domestic connection is 2:20AM Jet Airways. With only 1:45hr, I assume that is a no-go? (The next one is 6:20AM Indigo, which ought to be safe.)

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 11, 13 at 1:29 pm
Old Oct 11, 13, 9:33 am
Original Poster

-reserved-
Old Oct 11, 13, 11:22 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
it's actually pretty do-able with hand luggage. with checked bags, it becomes a very tight connection; wouldn't advise you to book it as a separate ticket.
Old Oct 11, 13, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean View Post
it's actually pretty do-able with hand luggage. with checked bags, it becomes a very tight connection; wouldn't advise you to book it as a separate ticket.
Great; I'll have checked luggage and separate ticket! I think 6:20 option is better.
Old Oct 11, 13, 9:07 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Better safe than stranded and dealing with the JetChildren! Have a nice trip
Old Oct 12, 13, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
Great; I'll have checked luggage and separate ticket! I think 6:20 option is better.
most definitely the better option....

on another note, i don't think this will stop people from posting new threads on this issue....one seems to pop up every few weeks....
Old Oct 12, 13, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
i don't think this will stop people from posting new threads on this issue....one seems to pop up every few weeks....
I guess you are right. Judging by other forums, the only thing that works is Mod determination to keep moving new threads to a dedicated / consolidated one.
Old Oct 14, 13, 2:03 pm

why so many connection threads?

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
most definitely the better option....

on another note, i don't think this will stop people from posting new threads on this issue....one seems to pop up every few weeks....
The reason is if youy look at sticky threads, they are full of outdated information some of which quite contrary to grouund reality.

What we need is a WIKI.

As Mumbai airport is undergoing massive reconstructions and aviatuion rules as well as airlines policies have changed drastically, I wont trust any threads more than few months old. No wonder, people keep posting this.

Request Mod to cleanup old threads and create a wiki or at least a sticky with correctly updated first post.

Some notes: (as of Sept 2013)

Intl to Intl transfer is extremely easy at BOM especially when you are on single through ticket.

For Intl to Dom transfer:

a) At this point, INtl and DOmestic terminals are at two ends of tarmac and require lanndside transfer through ugly (but safe) shanty lined local roads. Traffic is made worse by ongoing construction of 6-lanes flyover/highway.

b) If your bags are interlined (check with your airline as well as with domestic aitlines - thrice - for latest info), transfer is relatively simple.

c) If you are on separate ticket then transfer is bit of hassle. It is quite safe at any time of day but I will leave 3-5 hours for any type of delay (especially if traveling on inflexible tickets)

d) Bigger concerns is that domestic carriers have reduced their baggage allowance drastically and extra bag fees is a good source of revenue for them. It is best to buy a single through ticket to your final destination (this is more for economy).
Old Oct 14, 13, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Best would indeed be a top-of-the-thread Wiki that is editable by any user.

Second best, IMHO is a dedicated thread to which questions can be moved if needed.
Old Oct 16, 13, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
UA to Jetair question

I arrive femoral ewr on UA and connect at bom to Bangalore blr with three 50 plus pound bags.

- is it easy to get from UA flight to Jetair flight

- is it easy to get bags from customs to Jetair

- will have nine hour overnight layover at bom, if no star alliance club what is best lounge option and can you pay per visit?

- on return will go from Jetair to UA, any issues here to plan for

Thanks for the help for my first bom connection
Old Oct 17, 13, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by OmahaUnitedMM View Post
I arrive femoral ewr on UA and connect at bom to Bangalore blr with three 50 plus pound bags.

- is it easy to get from UA flight to Jetair flight

- is it easy to get bags from customs to Jetair

- will have nine hour overnight layover at bom, if no star alliance club what is best lounge option and can you pay per visit?

- on return will go from Jetair to UA, any issues here to plan for

Thanks for the help for my first bom connection
With a nine-hour layover, I would strongly suggest that you book a room in one of the numerous airport hotels. You will not be able to get into the domestic terminal until three hours before departure, and it certainly isn't a place where I would willingly spend nine hours in any case.

There is no Star lounge in the domestic terminal, and the lounges provided there are quite basic in any case.
Old Nov 11, 13, 2:57 am

international transfer with 2 separate tickets

hi, i see everyone complaining about people asking the same question but i cant see a clear answer for my scenario.

we are arriving 8:20am saturday morning at mumbai international from Dubai via emirates, we then need to take another international flight to kathmandu, nepal at 10:40am with jetair. that's 2 hours and 20 minutes.

is this possible? do we need to go through customs? how long would this take roughly? or is there some kind of transfer q option available?

international check-in closes 60 min before take-off according to website.
Old Nov 11, 13, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by nielmarx View Post
hi, i see everyone complaining about people asking the same question but i cant see a clear answer for my scenario.

we are arriving 8:20am saturday morning at mumbai international from Dubai via emirates, we then need to take another international flight to kathmandu, nepal at 10:40am with jetair. that's 2 hours and 20 minutes.

is this possible? do we need to go through customs? how long would this take roughly? or is there some kind of transfer q option available?

international check-in closes 60 min before take-off according to website.
are you on a single through ticket or 2 separate ones????do you have checked-in luggage????do you have a visa for india????
Old Nov 11, 13, 7:11 am

yes 2 separate tickets, yes have check-in luggage and yes we have visas already.
Old Nov 11, 13, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nielmarx View Post
we are arriving 8:20am saturday morning at mumbai international from Dubai via emirates, we then need to take another international flight to kathmandu, nepal at 10:40am with jetair. that's 2 hours and 20 minutes. is this possible?
Not sure of immigration and luggage transfer issues, but one good news is that if you miss your 1040AM flight, Jet Airways can put you on a flight at 2PM which connects in DEL to another KTM flight. You should definitely make one of these.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: