Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You want to wait in a lounge for 18 hours?

Aviserv is after immigration & customs just before you exit the terminal building. You can get in there with your PP but it’s limited to 3 hours. While you might be able to stretch your 3 hours a little bit... you won’t be able to stay there for 18 that’s for sure. Your PP will cover your food there. Showers, sleeping pods etc. are all extra.

Once you leave Aviserv use the elevators/stairs in the airport building (don’t go out) to go down to the prepaid taxi level (level 4 of the terminal I think). There are some cushioned chairs there you could rest on once again. I don’t think anyone will throw you out of this area.

You can easily go back from that level to level 6 which is the arrival level where there are some food stands. You can also go back to Aviserv once it’s the “next day” and you can swipe your PP in the lounge again.

You can do all this without leaving the terminal building (if you leave the building you cannot re-enter). Still, 18 hours in the airport is going to be really really tough. There will be some cheap hotels near the airport (search for Oyo hotels) or AirBnB you should try and look up.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Couldn't find any information on which airlines have a transfer desk in the intl' area.
Just double-checking: Can I get a boarding pass for UL in transit or would I have to go landside?
Transfering from BA to UL on two different PNR with hand-baggage only with significant time.

edit: Got the information from UL, they have a transfer desk.

Last edited by SimonSC; Jan 9, 2019 at 11:20 am Reason: Info
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Never used it but I don’t think it’s an airline specific transfer desk. What I’ve heard is if they can’t get your reservation they call the airlines check-in counter and get the details/BP through them.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:26 am

Layover time

We are flying from London to Mumbai and my arrival at Mumbai airport is 06:25am and thereafter boarding the domestic flight from Mumbai to Rajkot at 07:55am which means we have 90 minutes of layover time.
I have not considered any flight delay from London. Is this a sufficient time to go through the immigration and security and thereafter to collect our baggage and proceed to domestic flight to Rajkot. We are flying with Jet Airways on both sectors. By the way, Jet Airways do not seem to respond to my query. Your help will be very much apprecaited.

I wonder if anyone else has used this route i.e. London - Mumbai - Rajkot by Jet Airways with a tight layover time of just 90 minutes? Your comments will be very much appreciated.

Last edited by MadhuThanki; Jan 13, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:15 am

Welcome to FT.

90 minutes is just about adequate as long as your on a single PNR. If you’re on seprate PNRs you will need to hope your inbound isn’t late.

Mods can move the post to BOM transfers discussed here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/indi...thread-56.html

MadhuThanki likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
90 minutes is touch & go, even on a single pnr....i would not be comfortable doing this in under 2 hours....
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
90 minutes is touch & go, even on a single pnr....i would not be comfortable doing this in under 2 hours....
Surely if it's a single ticket, it's protected. So Jet would have to put you on next flight if the inbound was late.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
You want to wait in a lounge for 18 hours?

Aviserv is after immigration & customs just before you exit the terminal building. You can get in there with your PP but it’s limited to 3 hours. While you might be able to stretch your 3 hours a little bit... you won’t be able to stay there for 18 that’s for sure. Your PP will cover your food there. Showers, sleeping pods etc. are all extra.

Once you leave Aviserv use the elevators/stairs in the airport building (don’t go out) to go down to the prepaid taxi level (level 4 of the terminal I think). There are some cushioned chairs there you could rest on once again. I don’t think anyone will throw you out of this area.

You can easily go back from that level to level 6 which is the arrival level where there are some food stands. You can also go back to Aviserv once it’s the “next day” and you can swipe your PP in the lounge again.

You can do all this without leaving the terminal building (if you leave the building you cannot re-enter). Still, 18 hours in the airport is going to be really really tough. There will be some cheap hotels near the airport (search for Oyo hotels) or AirBnB you should try and look up.
Yeah, a lounge obviously isn't ideal for 18 hours. Our translator/guide is pretty overprotective, and I'm afraid he might freak out if he finds out I left the airport by myself. But I've been to dozens of countries without anybody to babysit me, so maybe he'll just have to get over that.

Thanks for the tip on Oyo - some of those look pretty good. I also found some FabHotels that are close by and look decent - any thoughts on that brand?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Surely if it's a single ticket, it's protected. So Jet would have to put you on next flight if the inbound was late.
Protected, sure. Not a huge headache? That's another story.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
sure it would be protected but that still doesn't change the fact that i wouldn't want to do this in under 2 hours....there is a good chance that you may miss the second flight & then have to go through the process of getting your flight changed & then wait almost 12 hours for 9w to put you on their next flight to raj....
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
Thanks for the tip on Oyo - some of those look pretty good. I also found some FabHotels that are close by and look decent - any thoughts on that brand?
I’ve not used either and there are mixed reviews of both. But if you’re on a budget I think one can adjust to whatever is offered and focus on getting some rest & sleep.

If your guide is so overprotective let them suggest where you should stay for 18 hours!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:44 am

sure it would be protected but that still doesn't change the fact that i wouldn't want to do this in under 2 hours....there is a good chance that you may miss the second flight & then have to go through the process of getting your flight changed & then wait almost 12 hours for 9w to put you on their next flight to raj....
I would still take the 9W 90 min route for a few reasons.
1. Single PNR - little risk and no cost to me
2. Cost of getting a seprate ticket especially if I am carrying a lot of luggage can be a hugely expensive
3. If you miss your 90 minute connection the very worst that can happen is that you have to wait for the next 9W flight which is ~12 hours later. However you can insist that they put you on another airlines which will get you there earlier.
4. Looking at the BOM-RAJ schedule it seems like the next flight is at 4 PM. So there’s really not much to be gained by booking a separate flight.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jan 15, 2019 at 12:52 am Reason: Added point 4.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:56 am

​​​​​​
I'm guessing there is MCT and Jet would only sell as a single ticket if it meets MCT. Also, the flight originates from London so if the connection is missed due to late inbound, there is duty of care, overnight accommodation (if it comes to that), and 600 euros. Yes there are weather/ATC exceptions, but even so duty of care kicks in.

I've done connecting flights in India on single ticket with 90 mins connecting time, back when our company used to book on Jet airways. It's stopped from last few months though
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
Protected, sure. Not a huge headache? That's another story.
Yep - you could also say flying 9W in these times could be a headache as well if they are forced to stop flying/DCGA pulls their license for non payment, etc in the next few weeks :-)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

I would still take the 9W 90 min route for a few reasons.
1. Single PNR - little risk and no cost to me
2. Cost of getting a seprate ticket especially if I am carrying a lot of luggage can be a hugely expensive
3. If you miss your 90 minute connection the very worst that can happen is that you have to wait for the next 9W flight which is ~12 hours later. However you can insist that they put you on another airlines which will get you there earlier.
4. Looking at the BOM-RAJ schedule it seems like the next flight is at 4 PM. So there’s really not much to be gained by booking a separate flight.
​​​​​​
I'm guessing there is MCT and Jet would only sell as a single ticket if it meets MCT. Also, the flight originates from London so if the connection is missed due to late inbound, there is duty of care, overnight accommodation (if it comes to that), and 600 euros. Yes there are weather/ATC exceptions, but even so duty of care kicks in.

I've done connecting flights in India on single ticket with 90 mins connecting time, back when our company used to book on Jet airways. It's stopped from last few months though
in this instance i agree that there isn't much choice but in general i would try to avoid a 90 minute international to domestic connection in bom....i've done so before & its cutting it too close for comfort....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.