Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: M&M FTL
thanks @desi
after the visa check, I collected my 2 bags and then I had to pass through the xray machine. on the left, there were the checkin desks but after loading my bags the lady told me that I had to go to business checkin. not sure why she didn't tell me before. I have 2 x 32Kgs bags on a cart, plus a carryon, a backpack, and a small bag for batteries, so it's very tiring to move around.
at that point, there were no indications of a dedicated business check-in.
then I had to go up 1 level to the business check in.
but then I had to put my bags again in another department for another scan, I think it was the oversize belt as well.
then in the end I had to go down to the security checks.
I had troubles here after the xrays of my hand bags, because I was carrying professional batteries for my equipment. I ended up talking with an overzealous man who was refusing to letting me enter with those.
I had to explain my reasons for 30 minutes, and of course in the end I was completely right just as when I fly to other destinations. Now for my return trip in a few days, I'll print the JetAirways PDF about dangerous goods so I can prove myself right.
then I went to the GVK lounge near gate 45, didn't see the museum.
in the end, it was a little bit of a painful experience because of this man, and having to wander around in the middle of the night between checkin desks and xrays machine wasn't that good as I was tired after the long flights.
but yeah, I guess as a first time in BOM it could have been worse, and on a positive note I now have a little experience here for my needs. I hope my return stop at BOM will be easier
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
On the return the luggage will checked thru to the final destination anyway... I passed thru BOM like you on my way to CCU on the 14th December and no problems to use/access the 9W checkin desks just after customs xray. My problem was that I was delayed by >2h and missed the checkin deadline Both the AI and 9W ticketing counters are outside of the terminal building, so managing that with my luggage was no fun, especially when I found out that in the end I got a better deal booking AI using their app (which I had run a query on while waiting for my luggage...)
raffa likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:57 am

you mean if I checkin in HYD I won't have to collect bags in BOM and checkin them again to final destination?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by raffa
you mean if I checkin in HYD I won't have to collect bags in BOM and checkin them again to final destination?
Correct
raffa likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:10 am

thanks!

OT for longtime members: do you know if there's any thread here for people who travel with equipment such as cameras, movie cameras, etc.? I tried a quick search but no luck.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/

Just open a new thread asking what you need... @LufthansaFlyer is happy to help!
AJLondon and LufthansaFlyer like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/

Just open a new thread asking what you need... @LufthansaFlyer is happy to help!
yep, come on over, we'll get you sorted out.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
MH-AI Int-Int Connection

I am planning the following flights in March with a same-day connection in BOM:

KUL-BOM on MH174 - Arrv 11:55
BOM-JED on AI965 - Dep 15:00 (Actual flight routing is BOM-HYD-JED)

I will be on separate tickets but travelling with hand baggage only.

My question is whether I need to clear immigration at BOM (and hence need a visa) or is this doable as an int-int connection?

Thanks much
activistflyer
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:58 am

MH will most probably ask for a visa. You can do a I/I connection on this setup, but need to satisfy the MH checkin agent. It would be better to have an evisa / eta paper handy.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
Thanks Oliver2002! I am glad I stumbled on this thread. Prior to this, I had assumed there would not be any issue of landing in India as I was doing an int-int connection. But I guess now to be prudent, I'll take your advice and apply for an e-visa. Thanks again.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I am looking at booking a trip that routes thru BOM. I am flying in on Air India from BKK and connecting to the United EWR flight. Connection time is only 55 minutes. Is that too risky, or just plain impossible?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:47 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
I have a 3-4 hour wait time (2300 - 0300) in BOM T2 (domestic). Since I am flying in Y on 9W, I will not have access to the GVK lounge. Is it worth paying for the Loyalty lounge?

Arriving on LX (J) and transferring to 9W 381 (Y) to BLR (separate PNRs).
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I am looking at booking a trip that routes thru BOM. I am flying in on Air India from BKK and connecting to the United EWR flight. Connection time is only 55 minutes. Is that too risky, or just plain impossible?
​​​​​​Being AI and a connection on a different carrier I'd say too risky as AI can be unreliable when it comes to on-time performance. Even if it is one ticket and both are Star Alliance it's more likely that you'll get the run around from airline staff when it comes to rebooking and possibly offered limited options (not necessarily but an increased risk IMHO)
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:53 pm

The lounge is OK, better than sitting outside. Entry cost is reasonable, I think 9W will also sell you lounge access.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:00 pm

You can make it. AI is surprisingly good during irregs and will rebook you onto *A alternatives. I just takes them a while. Just have your alternative handy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.