Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:20 pm

Apologies if this question was already answered..

I am planning to take UA from EWR to BOM, then transfer to MAA. It will be on single UA ticket. I seem to have 2 options at BOM.

Take 11pm JetKonnect or 2.55AM JetAirways.

11PM connection gives me 2hr 20 min, while 2.55am gives 6 hr 15 min transit time.

With your recent experience, is JetKonnect a good option?

If I end up with Jet Airways, how do you spend 6hrs in the terminal. Though I am Star Gold member, I am not sure if I will be able to access the lounges once I cross the customs. Has anyone done this? If so, can you please share your experience?

Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rrnet
Apologies if this question was already answered..

I am planning to take UA from EWR to BOM, then transfer to MAA. It will be on single UA ticket. I seem to have 2 options at BOM.

Take 11pm JetKonnect or 2.55AM JetAirways.

11PM connection gives me 2hr 20 min, while 2.55am gives 6 hr 15 min transit time.

With your recent experience, is JetKonnect a good option?

If I end up with Jet Airways, how do you spend 6hrs in the terminal. Though I am Star Gold member, I am not sure if I will be able to access the lounges once I cross the customs. Has anyone done this? If so, can you please share your experience?

Thanks.
If you are on AI then you can use the lounge at BOM. Else you can use the
Niranta hotel on airport. 2 hr 20 min could be cutting it close but possible..
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:34 am

I am in tricky situation and need members help. I am flying from LAX to BOM on Singapore First class and it is award travel. I realized 2 days back that I need to add segment BOM-HYD to existing reservation. Singapore Airlines can't find Air India award seat available to add this segment. I have following question and request all to help:

1. Best option to carry luggage all the way to Hyderabad: Will Air India accept this baggage if I make a separate reservation BOM-HYD in a flight that leaves next available time within 24 hours?
2. My flight reaches late night and if I can't take baggage in separate Air India reservation or cost is too high, what options do I have?

Appreciate your inputs....
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by rrnet
Yes, thanks so much for the info. Appreciated it. Checked AI, and it does not have a good connection.

Also, I just booked a temporary ticket, and cancelled it. I saw that BOM-MAA will be 2 bags at 32kg (because of Gold status on UA), but coming back Jet airways will honor only the usual UA 1 bag policy @ 23kg, but will not honor my Gold status 2 bags at 32kg. So, I have to pay $100 for the second bag. Not sure if it is worth doing this itinerary.
Look for detailed discussion on Indian carrier baggage allowance and international tickets purchased in US on some other recent threads on this forum.

Basically, UA "standard" allowance is applicable for the entire trip as per USDOT rules. That's why you are getting only 1 bag upon return. Same trip originating in India would have resulted two bags for the entire trip if Jet has 2 bags policy. The additional bag is something offered by UA on its own flights.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by arav_m
I am in tricky situation and need members help. I am flying from LAX to BOM on Singapore First class and it is award travel. I realized 2 days back that I need to add segment BOM-HYD to existing reservation. Singapore Airlines can't find Air India award seat available to add this segment. I have following question and request all to help:

1. Best option to carry luggage all the way to Hyderabad: Will Air India accept this baggage if I make a separate reservation BOM-HYD in a flight that leaves next available time within 24 hours?
2. My flight reaches late night and if I can't take baggage in separate Air India reservation or cost is too high, what options do I have?

Appreciate your inputs....
This has been asked and answered many times on this thread recently.

Separate reservation will have its own baggage allowance. Class/Status/CreditCard may help but that should be clear from AI website.

You will be going through customs and checking in at BOM.

This is not India specific problem,

Think about flying BA from LHR to LAX in First and then buying a separate ticket on frontier or spirit or even united. They will not give a damn that you flew from London or flew on FIrst class on BA.

The best shot would be to have Singapore add separately purchased segment to your original PNR. (SIA may be able to sell you that segment on AI)
arav_m likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by desi

Separate reservation will have its own baggage allowance. Class/Status/CreditCard may help but that should be clear from AI website.

Think about flying BA from LHR to LAX in First and then buying a separate ticket on frontier or spirit or even united. They will not give a damn that you flew from London or flew on FIrst class on BA.

The best shot would be to have Singapore add separately purchased segment to your original PNR. (SIA may be able to sell you that segment on AI)
Thanks Desi...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by desi

In addition check Vistara too.. IIRC they had the following earlier
pax in Premium Economy will be permitted two check-in bags of upto 23 kg each and pax in Economy Class will be permitted an enhanced check-in allowance of 23 kg total. This special allowance for Economy Class will be available within 24 hours of the passengers international inbound or outbound travel.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:36 pm

Could someone help me understand this Minimum Connection Time Chart?

I'm arriving into BOM terminal 2 from AUH on EY, connecting in Terminal 2 to a separately purchased domestic AI flight to GOI.

Is the minimum connect time 2hrs (TRM 2-2), 3hrs (**-AI), or 4hrs (AUH-ALL).

Thanks!

Minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .30 2.30 3.00 1.00
OFFLINE .30 2.30 3.00 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-AI ID 3.00
**-** ID 4.00 AUH - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 BAH - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 DMM - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 DOH - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 DXB - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 JED - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 KWI - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 MCT - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 RKT - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 RUH - ALL
**-** ID 4.00 SHJ - ALL
**-** ID 3.00 TRM 2 - 1
**-** ID 2.00 TRM 2 - 2
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since you are on separate tickets the mct chart is irrelevant. If it was on a single pnr it would have been 3h.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Since you are on separate tickets the mct chart is irrelevant. If it was on a single pnr it would have been 3h.
Thanks. I realize my flights aren't subject to any MCT, just trying to see what was "legal" to compare what I booked.

I've got 2 hours between my flights, though with no checked bags, so sounds like I'll be cutting it close. I've engaged PRANAAM GVK GUEST SERVICES which will hopefully help. I had a tight connection last year and made it with time to spare with their help. Cart from gate, plus went to the front of a separate security line.

Last edited by jchock1; Nov 14, 2017 at 5:49 am
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by jchock1
I've engaged PRANAAM GVK GUEST SERVICES which will hopefully help.
I think that should help for sure. ^
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Any recent experience on T2 > T1 transfers? Arriving at 4 am in T2, wondering whether to use the prepaid taxi in T2 or if there is a faster option. Hoping 4 am traffic isn't too bad around BOM
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Any recent experience on T2 > T1 transfers? Arriving at 4 am in T2, wondering whether to use the prepaid taxi in T2 or if there is a faster option. Hoping 4 am traffic isn't too bad around BOM
Guess you are going to T1 to catch some Low-cost carrier? (Because all majors now fly out of T2 and no need to go to T1)

If indeed going to T1 then Prepaid or Meru or TAB - all three have counters on both arrival floor as well as on the ground (Road level) level.

Traffic should not be a problem at all. There is elevated highway from T2 to WEH and T1 is very close to WEH.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:56 pm

I will be connecting from 9W123 (Paris CDG - BOM) arrives 00:45
to 9W 463 BOM - MAA departs 02:55

Both flights are on the same reservation. Is this do-able?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by helvetica
I will be connecting from 9W123 (Paris CDG - BOM) arrives 00:45
to 9W 463 BOM - MAA departs 02:55

Both flights are on the same reservation. Is this do-able?
definitely do-able....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.