Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
should be no problem at all. I came thru BOM a week ago. Arrived @ 2300 and cleared immigration/customs in 30-40 minutes (including getting baggage). They do have dedicated immigration counters for J/F. I was the first person in the line. They are quite efficient.
Also remember that J/F customers can also go to ANY booth. I have seen many J/F waiting in long lines at the dedicated
line while other counters could be faster...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by flyalways
Also remember that J/F customers can also go to ANY booth. I have seen many J/F waiting in long lines at the dedicated
line while other counters could be faster...
The funny thing is many try to line up at the J/F counters thinking it will move faster. I often go to the far end beside the crew/PRM counter and pass thru faster.
flyalways likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The funny thing is many try to line up at the J/F counters thinking it will move faster. I often go to the far end beside the crew/PRM counter and pass thru faster.
Immigration counters coming into India at BOM on average rarely take more than 5-7 minutes to clear no matter what your class of travel. Apart from the very occasional perfect storm when several flights land at the same time you usually sail through immigration.

The long queues and huge wait times happen at the other end when you're leaving India. Those security and immigration lines then can take you up to an hour to clear depending on the time of day. However there are dedicated lines for J/F passengers for both security and customs which are always empty and you can clear in 2-3 minutes.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

BOM inbound immigration is a mess at midnight to about 3am. Forget 5-7 min. Last December I landed at 1.30am and it took me 20 min at the PRM counter. The times I land at 11pm from MUC there is next to no line.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:22 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
if I end up at the BOM T2 around 5 hours before my flight, will the security give me a hard time to get inside? I realize that I can't checkin but it may be better since I remember seeing a good number of seats to comfortably stretch.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
BOM inbound immigration is a mess at midnight to about 3am. Forget 5-7 min. Last December I landed at 1.30am and it took me 20 min at the PRM counter. The times I land at 11pm from MUC there is next to no line.
I land in Mumbai plenty of times around that time (around 5-6 times a year at least and traveling Y) . I can remember only once when there was a long queue which took 15 minutes or so.

And as you said you do less than 5-7 minutes with one exception. Maybe that was one of those perfect storm days. Your crew/PRM counter is certainly a good tip.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:07 am

I usually come in from MUC, which lands at 11-11.30pm. In December I came in 2h late from BRU at 1.30am. Terrible.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:18 am

Agree it's a mess midnight onwards. Last week it took me about 20 minutes in the J queue, in from Paris, at around 12.20am - and this was despite walking at top speed to beat most of the rest of the pax off my flight to the line.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:07 pm

Question Mumbai airport connecting flight to Bangalore

Hi, my flight AI144 from Newark to Mumbai arrival is at 2.30 pm on a week day and the onward connecting flight AI607 to Bangalore is at 4.40 pm. I have clear customs and immigration and pickup my checked baggage go to another gate catch the flight to Bangalore. I was wondering if 2 hours and 10 minutes is sufficient enough to make this happen. Thank you for your feed back and advice.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:50 pm

Yups. You should be ok. Plus there are flights to BLR later in the evening so you’ll be covered.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:14 am

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=PiperAtGatesofDawn;29566580]Yups. You should be ok. Plus there are flights to BLR later in the evening so you’ll be covered.

Great, thank you!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:15 am

Great, thank you!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:39 pm

Mumbai International transfer _ Alochol buying suggestions

I am traveling from DENver to Frankfurt to Mumbai to Hyderabad. My domestic flight is Air India in Terminal T2. So as per the Forum i have to collect my baggage at Mumbai & transfer to Customs & then recheck them for Domestic transit. Please correct me If i am wrong.

Also I would like buy wines ( 2Ltrs) , can i buy in US duty free & carry over to Mumbai as Cabin Baggage or it is better to buy in Mumbai & pack them in checked-in bags , before domestic transit.

Last edited by PraveenB; Apr 2, 2018 at 4:04 pm Reason: gone thru Forum & got couple of answers
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PraveenB
I am traveling from DENver to Frankfurt to Mumbai to Hyderabad. My domestic flight is Air India in Terminal T2. So as per the Forum i have to collect my baggage at Mumbai & transfer to Customs & then recheck them for Domestic transit. Please correct me If i am wrong.
correct....

Originally Posted by PraveenB
Also I would like buy wines ( 2Ltrs) , can i buy in US duty free & carry over to Mumbai as Cabin Baggage or it is better to buy in Mumbai & pack them in checked-in bags , before domestic transit.
it would be better for you to buy it in mumbai & then put them in your checked-in baggage....
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:34 am

Thank you..
Do we have any limit ( total worth or Qty ) of goods that we buy in US. I am planning to buy 4 Hand bags ( women's).. I will store 2 bags in each checked in bag.. 2 watches .. 1 shoe .. Couple of toys for my son & cloths .. Lots of chocs ...
Will i face any problem with customs ... If so i will cut down some ( like hand bags )...

Last edited by PraveenB; Apr 3, 2018 at 9:39 am Reason: adding a question..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.