Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
... I only managed to get to the 9W transfer desk a little after 3 am. ...

The lines at the neighboring Air India counter were even longer.

Are you talking about transfer desk which is in on arrival floor itself (Make left after customs) or are you talking about counters upstairs on the departure level?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You'd exit customs at T2 but remain inside the terminal, however it's unlikely that you will be able to check your bags for the onward flight or that security would allow you into the domestic airside area that far in advance.

Also AFAIK the only lounge is the GVK lounge. The international one is quite nice, haven't seen the domestic.

Just get a hotel near the hotel, there are several.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No arrival lounge access in intl, the two domestic lounges don't really have sleeping facilities. Get a day room in a nearby hotel or at the in-terminal Niranta.
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
They won't allow you into the domestic departures area until 4 hours prior to departure. The GVK domestic lounge is excellent.
Originally Posted by desi
what airline is your BOM-AMD flight on? if AI, is it really an international flight? (EWR-BOM-AMD used to be international flight with customs done at AMD)

if flight is on 9W, I thought one could make a left after customs and get rid of luggage tathe transfer desk as this is single PNR. is that still correct? (at least for 9W)

OP, do post here after your trip as situation keep changing at BOM when it comes to transfer and would like to wiki as accurate as possible
Thank you everyone for your replies. Yeah, I've been through this kind of transfer about 5 times before and each was a different experience.. the Terminal 2 construction phase for 5 years was a mess, but I hope the transfer process is fixed now.

Anyway - my flight is not an INTL tagged flight.. it is a domestic flight in evening. So I booked the Hyatt Regency across the road (even though me being an IHG employee, I would not want to go to Saki Naka for Holiday Inn). Now need to see it first hand if they let me drop the bags and will also confirm if they would let me go into the terminal airside so early.

I'll report back on the experience.. but it is a month from now.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by charms81
Now need to see it first hand if they let me drop the bags and will also confirm if they would let me go into the terminal airside so early.

I'll report back on the experience.. but it is a month from now.
Would appreciate data points on the following items:

- "Make Left on exit fromnm custom area for transfer" - do those desks include AI? (it was reported few months back that AI desk has been moved but there is stil some ambiguity about AI whereas 9W trannsfer desk was confirmed)

- Will AI counter let you drop bags 9+ hours before departure? (12 hours time limit was mentioned in the past)
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Are you talking about transfer desk which is in on arrival floor itself (Make left after customs) or are you talking about counters upstairs on the departure level?
Arrival floor, left after customs.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thank you for confirming that "Make left after customs for transfer desk" advice in the wiki above is still valid.

Are you sure you noticed AI counter there too? (Reason for such particular question is that post 483 had reported that AI does not have transfer counter in that area on the arrival floor any more)

Correct current information is EXTREMELY CRUCIAL to many senior citizens or first-time teenagers or first-time foreigners traveling on AI and making connections at BOM.

Last edited by desi; Aug 25, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Would appreciate data points on the following items:

- "Make Left on exit fromnm custom area for transfer" - do those desks include AI? (it was reported few months back that AI desk has been moved but there is stil some ambiguity about AI whereas 9W trannsfer desk was confirmed)

- Will AI counter let you drop bags 9+ hours before departure? (12 hours time limit was mentioned in the past)
Sure, sir. Will get as much info as possible and update this thread. But as you know how quickly things change in India and the policies made on the spot - everyone's experience would still be different .
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
No arrival lounge access in intl, the two domestic lounges don't really have sleeping facilities. Get a day room in a nearby hotel or at the in-terminal Niranta.
There is a new Arrival's lounge in BOM T2 now - Aviserv lounge and accepts most cards. Buffet and WiFi are come free with Priority Pass, shower and sleeping pods are chargeable. Food was good and staff even made fresh chapati (fresh of the tavaa!). I was there around ~9 PM. They had a live dosa/omlette station and staff was keen to feed me.

About 5 people total in lounge which is small anyways. Looked like all of them had long layovers and were sleeping on each of the sofas.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
There is a new Arrival's lounge in BOM T2 now - Aviserv lounge and accepts most cards. Buffet and WiFi are come free with Priority Pass, shower and sleeping pods are chargeable. Food was good and staff even made fresh chapati (fresh of the tavaa!). I was there around ~9 PM. They had a live dosa/omlette station and staff was keen to feed me.

About 5 people total in lounge which is small anyways. Looked like all of them had long layovers and were sleeping on each of the sofas.
This is great info! The only caveat would be that even though the lounge is in Arrivals - it may still not be accessible after coming out of customs. I'll check out this lounge too, since its free with PriorityPass anyway.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by charms81
This is great info! The only caveat would be that even though the lounge is in Arrivals - it may still not be accessible after coming out of customs. I'll check out this lounge too, since its free with PriorityPass anyway.
its accessible after customs. You need to show an arriving or departing boarding pass and ID as they need it to validate true passengers(annoying part is they make a photocopy of it)
charms81 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Acid
its accessible after customs. You need to show an arriving or departing boarding pass and ID as they need it to validate true passengers(annoying part is they make a photocopy of it)
That's likely also due to WiFi access. A legal requirement in India is to gather the data of anyone accessing free WiFi. The plaza premium lounge in HYD only photocopies the boarding pass and passport if you request an internet access voucher
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
That's likely also due to WiFi access. A legal requirement in India is to gather the data of anyone accessing free WiFi. The plaza premium lounge in HYD only photocopies the boarding pass and passport if you request an internet access voucher
Good to know. I could have declined WiFi! I was there for a quick meal and when I was leaving , the check-in agent asked me why I was heading out so quick.

Also - I didn't see any alcohol(maybe there was beer in the fridge, didn't check). Basic soda's and lots of mini Bisleri bottled water.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Not sure if this is the right place, but what is the time I need to be at the airport in Mumbai for a domestic flight within India with a checked bag?

I will have a two-day layover in Mumbai and wonder how early I would need to be at the airport to comfortably make a 9:20 departure to Bangalore...it's on a Sunday if day of the week matters.

Thanks for your feedback!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Which airline? For AI/Jet 60-70min before departure is enough to chek a bag.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by djohannw
Not sure if this is the right place, but what is the time I need to be at the airport in Mumbai for a domestic flight within India with a checked bag?

I will have a two-day layover in Mumbai and wonder how early I would need to be at the airport to comfortably make a 9:20 departure to Bangalore...it's on a Sunday if day of the week matters.

Thanks for your feedback!

Greetings - Dirk
Generally about an hour, I'd aim to be there at 8am.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Which airline? For AI/Jet 60-70min before departure is enough to chek a bag.
Airline is AI - does flying out on a Sunday and being *G make any difference? Otherwise I guess I will indeed aim for an 8am arrival at the domestic terminal...luckily the JW is not that far away from the airport.

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.