Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by glx
Any thoughts on whether I can make this work?

9W 417 arriving 22:40
UA 49 departing 00:10

Both arrive/depart from T2, but I understand it's separate security for both. I will use a transfer service (Pranaam / GTK I guess). Possible, or absolutely hopeless?
If you have checked in bags and on seperate tickets - absolutely hopeless
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:36 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
If you have checked in bags and on seperate tickets - absolutely hopeless
carry on, but separate tickets.

pretty much confirmed by multiple people that it's not going to work
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
6hr layover at BOM (at night)

We'll be arriving in BOM on AI632 at 10:35pm and depart on EK501 at 4:30am.

When does the checkin for EK flight open? Will we be allowed inside the international terminal more than 4 hours before the departure?

Also, are there any nap rooms in the GVK F lounge? If so, can they be booked in advance? I had checked on their website and didn't find any info on this other than some "relaxation" rooms and not sure what that includes.
Also checked the Niranta transit hotel website and didn't see any option to book for a few hours (it shows daily rates only). Is that not an option?

Will greatly appreciate any info, as will be travelling with a kid and an infant, so will be good to have some private room for the layover.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:46 pm
arj

Intl biz, domestic economy

Hello all,
Will be arriving on AI biz class to BOM, with a connecting flight on Jet in economy to RAJ about 5 hours later. I believe both are Terminal 2. Any lounge access possible after I pick up bags etc? I do have priority pass select and a VIsa Signature card.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
PP will give you access to a lounge at T2 domestic.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:25 am
arj

Originally Posted by oliver2002
PP will give you access to a lounge at T2 domestic.
Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by unicon

When does the checkin for EK flight open? Will we be allowed inside the international terminal more than 4 hours before the departure?

Also, are there any nap rooms in the GVK F lounge? If so, can they be booked in advance? I had checked on their website and didn't find any info on this other than some "relaxation" rooms and not sure what that includes.
Also checked the Niranta transit hotel website and didn't see any option to book for a few hours (it shows daily rates only). Is that not an option?

Will greatly appreciate any info, as will be travelling with a kid and an infant, so will be good to have some private room for the layover.
I am interested in same information. I got a $75 per night price for this. Just wondering if there is a cheaper hourly option and how much is it ?

Thanks...
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:02 am

Website says Niranta should have Daily rate
http://www.nirantahotels.com/

http://www.csia.in/atcsia/niranta.aspx

Maybe call them up or walk in ?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Email the Niranta, they will set up a short stay. A 4h room costs 4500 INR+tax, which will be 75$.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Email the Niranta, they will set up a short stay. A 4h room costs 4500 INR+tax, which will be 75$.
Thanks for the info. Good to get an idea about the price.

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Website says Niranta should have Daily rate
http://www.nirantahotels.com/

http://www.csia.in/atcsia/niranta.aspx

Maybe call them up or walk in ?
Yes had already looked up on these websites, but couldn't find an option to book for less than a day, even though elsewhere they mention about hourly stay.

Will call them to find out about their hourly rates (as we really need it only for a couple of hours before check-in).

Also, if anyone can share any info about the 'relaxation' area/rooms in the GVK F lounge. May be I will also call the lounge to find out about them and share them here.

thanks for the replies...
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info. Good to get an idea about the price.

Yes had already looked up on these websites, but couldn't find an option to book for less than a day, even though elsewhere they mention about hourly stay.

Will call them to find out about their hourly rates (as we really need it only for a couple of hours before check-in).

Also, if anyone can share any info about the 'relaxation' area/rooms in the GVK F lounge. May be I will also call the lounge to find out about them and share them here.

thanks for the replies...
Niranta hotel website does give you the option of hourly booking on the home page - below overnight stay.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:38 am

Hi there,

Here are latest Niranta rates I received...

4 hours for Twin room is INR 4500 , 7 Hours is INR 6000 and 24 hours is INR 9000.
(19% additional for taxes)

For daily rates I found good pricing on hotels.com as well.

Hope this helps...F.A.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Flying out of BOM in a month (on the Egypt Air business class deal to JFK). I will be in DEL and will fly out to BOM to take the 2:30am flight. I'd like to fly AI for their generous luggage allowance and to avoid changing terminals in BOM.

Would the AI 191 arriving BOM at 11:10pm be cutting it too close? AI191 is the DEL-BOM-EWR flight, and in my mind perhaps the least likely to be cancelled for operational reasons. Would it be foolish to depend on that and instead take an earlier flight, say the 7pm departure from DEL that arrives BOM at 9:15?

Edited to add: Any possibility of interlining between MS and AI on these two separate tickets?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by knit-in
Flying out of BOM in a month (on the Egypt Air business class deal to JFK). I will be in DEL and will fly out to BOM to take the 2:30am flight. I'd like to fly AI for their generous luggage allowance and to avoid changing terminals in BOM.

Would the AI 191 arriving BOM at 11:10pm be cutting it too close? AI191 is the DEL-BOM-EWR flight, and in my mind perhaps the least likely to be cancelled for operational reasons. Would it be foolish to depend on that and instead take an earlier flight, say the 7pm departure from DEL that arrives BOM at 9:15?

Edited to add: Any possibility of interlining between MS and AI on these two separate tickets?
If time permits I would suggest leaving as much time between two
separate tickets as possible anywhere in the world. For India, you
need to be especially extra cautious because of operational issues
like you mentioned.

BOM has a very good lounge so you can spend some time there
if you have a few extra hours..

Good Luck..F.A.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:31 am

AI will not interline your luggage to the separate MS ticket. 2-3h transit on separate ticket in BOM should be easy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.