Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paul Rolton

I would be arriving into the international terminal at 11:45 with British Airways and then leaving for Jaipur at 14:55 with Go Air from terminal T1B. Is this enough time?
I have done this exact transfer in August. Plenty of time - I was at the GoAir checkin counters around 1pm after taking the shuttle with luggage.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Welcome to FT Paul

You can transfer intl arrivals to domestic departure by the airport shuttle which runs between the two terminals.. this is FoC and you need to show your domestic departure tckt / boarding pass to get into the bus.. this is a bus and it takes a route within the airport boundaries so u also save on the outside traffic and associated trouble and cost of limo / taxi service.

3 hrs that time of the day is quite easy IMHO..
Originally Posted by Savage25
I have done this exact transfer in August. Plenty of time - I was at the GoAir checkin counters around 1pm after taking the shuttle with luggage.
Thank you both for the replies From what you and abhilife2001write (thank you for the welcome ), I don't have to go landside/though immigration etc? I am a bit confused with the whole affair. I am purchasing the tickets separately and BA told me that they cannot check my luggage all the way though to Jaipur, so as I understand it, and from what I read, the following will occur:
I will arrive and T2 -> get off the plane -> collect my luggage -> go though immigration/customs -> find and get on the shuttle bus to T1 -> get to T1 -> find the Go Air counter -> check my luggage and get my already printed out (web checkin) boarding card stamped -> go though security -> find the Go Air gate and hopefully get on the plane.
Do I have this timeline/to-do correct? Or already having the webcheckin boarding pass I can skip the immigration/customs at T2 and head straight for the bus after getting my luggage? I am worried about the immigration at T2 and security at T1 really as I know those can really delay you depending on the day ect. Would greatly appreciate a helping.. well... advice in this case, as I want to buy the tickets as soon as.

Thank you again,

Paul
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
I will arrive and T2 -> get off the plane -> collect my luggage -> go though immigration/customs -> find and get on the shuttle bus to T1 -> get to T1 -> find the Go Air counter -> check my luggage and get my already printed out (web checkin) boarding card stamped -> go though security -> find the Go Air gate and hopefully get on the plane.
Do I have this timeline/to-do correct? Or already having the webcheckin boarding pass I can skip the immigration/customs at T2 and head straight for the bus after getting my luggage? I am worried about the immigration at T2 and security at T1 really as I know those can really delay you depending on the day ect. Would greatly appreciate a helping.. well... advice in this case, as I want to buy the tickets as soon as.

Thank you again,

Paul
Made some change marked in bold below..
I will arrive and T2 -> get off the plane -> go through immigration -> collect my luggage -> go though customs -> find and get on the shuttle bus to T1 -> get to T1 -> find the Go Air counter -> check my luggage and get my already printed out (web checkin) boarding card stamped -> go though security -> find the Go Air gate and hopefully get on the plane.

You need to clear immigration and customs.. no way to avoid that ..
You will have ample time I feel specially at that time of the day..
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Made some change marked in bold below..
I will arrive and T2 -> get off the plane -> go through immigration -> collect my luggage -> go though customs -> find and get on the shuttle bus to T1 -> get to T1 -> find the Go Air counter -> check my luggage and get my already printed out (web checkin) boarding card stamped -> go though security -> find the Go Air gate and hopefully get on the plane.

You need to clear immigration and customs.. no way to avoid that ..
You will have ample time I feel specially at that time of the day..
Thanks a lot for your help abhilife2001
I finally got through to someone at CSIA that could answer my questions and they too confirmed the process as you have outlined it above and also confirmed that the 3 hours should be plenty of time, especially if I do web-checkin before hand.
I have booked my tickets and am looking forward to the trip. Will post my transfer experiences at Mumbai here after I get back. Thanks again for all the help.

Paul
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:33 am

Thanks a lot for your help abhilife2001
I finally got through to someone at CSIA that could answer my questions and they too confirmed the process as you have outlined it above and also confirmed that the 3 hours should be plenty of time, especially if I do web-checkin before hand.
I have booked my tickets and am looking forward to the trip. Will post my transfer experiences at Mumbai here after I get back. Thanks again for all the help.

Paul
Urw.. Hope u have a nice trip..cheers A
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:22 pm

Transfering with Baby

Hi,

This is my first time posting on this forum though I have been reading it a lot during my previous travels and it has helped me a lot.

I will be doing Singapore - Mumbai - Goa - Mumbai - Singapore with my 18 month old baby. We are travelling via Air India all the way and have around 6 and half hours in between flights both on our way to goa and back.

Are there any sort of baby play areas / entertainment options / childcare rooms on any of the terminals? Would they allow a stroller on the free transfer bus between the international and domestic terminals?

Has anyone done this sort of transfer with a child before and what was your experience? Any particular things I should prepare for?

Thanks in advance for any help as I'm quite stressed about this travel and long stopover at the Mumbai airport.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Havebabywilltravel
Hi,

Are there any sort of baby play areas / entertainment options / childcare rooms on any of the terminals? Would they allow a stroller on the free transfer bus between the international and domestic terminals?
Welcome to FT

IIRCthe airport toilets have a child care facility in the new domestic terminal where you can change diapers etc..
I don't recall seeing any distinct play areas or entertainment options though I guess watching different people on the move will be in itself an entertaining experience for a 18months old baby
Yes, stroller would be allowed on the free shuttle service..
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:11 pm

hello guys .

i have flight for ahmedabad to dallas(usa) next week.we are first time flyers . i have some queries .

details.

Ahmadabad to Mumbai .( JET AIRWAYS - 9W 2004) . will arrive at Mumbai airport terminal 1B at 8 pm.

then i have flight from Mumbai international terminal 2 of British airways at 2.45 am.

q.1 do i have to transfer checked in luggage from domestic terminal to international terminal ? or British airways staff will do it ?

q.2 will an itinerary will sufficient for bus transfer ? coz i dont think so that i will get all boarding passes from Ahmadabad airport.

q3. my process should be like this ? get of the plane at T1b.> find luggage > check in luggage at desk for shutle bus transfer > reach international terminal 2 > British airways air counter > check in luggage > immigration /customs >departure gate

any suggestions guys for my next journey ?

thnx in advance

Last edited by sp1991; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by sp1991
q.1 do i have to transfer checked in luggage from domestic terminal to international terminal ? or British airways staff will do it ?
You have to transfer the luggage yourself.

q.2 will an itinerary will sufficient for bus transfer ? coz i dont think so that i will get all boarding passes from Ahmadabad airport.
Showing your itinerary is fine.

q3. my process should be like this ? get of the plane at T1b.> find luggage > check in luggage at desk for shutle bus transfer > reach international terminal 2 > British airways air counter > check in luggage > immigration /customs >departure gate
You have described the process correctly. It is very easy-just be aware of what is going on and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by hyderago
You have to transfer the luggage yourself.

Showing your itinerary is fine.

You have described the process correctly. It is very easy-just be aware of what is going on and you'll be fine.
thnk you

i have 1 another qun. do i have to transfer my luggage at london hethrrow airport ?

i have flight ba 138 from mumbai to london. landing at 7 am (uk time and i have BA 1504 (operated by American airline ) from London (9.45 am ) to dallas.

i have to change terminal at london airport .cz my flight will land at T5 and take off new from T3.

q.2 and if anybody know., how much us $ i can carry ? i know that costumes and border protection usa will allow me to enter usa anything less then 10000 usd. coz i have immigrant visa..but i dont know about mumbai and london. anybody please help me .

Last edited by sp1991; Feb 24, 2013 at 4:23 am
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:32 am

i have 1 another qun. do i have to transfer my luggage at london hethrrow airport ?
No, your luggage will automatically be transferred for you in LHR. Once you check-in in T2 at BOM, you will not see your luggage until you pick it up in DFW.

q.2 and if anybody know., how much us $ i can carry ? i know that costumes and border protection usa will allow me to enter usa anything less then 10000 usd. coz i have immigrant visa..but i dont know about mumbai and london. anybody please help me .
I think the limit is also $10k for India and the US, but will let more knowledgeable folks confirm.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can carry more than 10 000 US$ on your person, but just need to declare it to customs of the country you are leaving and/or entering.

So this would apply to India and the US, UK is just a transit point, and since you are not entering the country you will be fine:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriv...aring-cash.htm

For the US: Note that the 10000 limit applies to assets with you, not just cash, so fill out the US form and have it handy to submit: http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/fin105_cmir.pdf
This form is meant to stop money laundering practices so reporting what you have with you will not lead to questioning, but may be reported to the IRS.

For India: other than visitors, you are not allowed to export foreign currency unless you bought the currency through legal channels. See page 14 on this guide: http://www.cbec.gov.in/Guide.pdf
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:57 pm

thnx for help guys

should i check in online 24 hour before for bombay -london flight ? or should i check in at airport ? which is good option ?
Old May 10, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: DL-Gold; BAEC-Newbie Silver
Hey fellas,

Hope you don't mind me asking a question.

I am currently scheduled to fly to HYD for a short business trip and the routing (which has already been booked) is the following:

LHR (21:25) - BOM (11:00)
BOM (12:55) - HYD (14:15)

This has been booked through 9W. Since I've never been to BOM and transferred there, you guys think the 1:55hrs is enough for the intl - domestic transfer? I am assuming my checked-in luggage is going to be through checked to HYD and I actually don't have to collect it myself and re-check it.

Any ideas and opinions?
Old May 10, 2013, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by umichguy
Hey fellas,

Hope you don't mind me asking a question.

I am currently scheduled to fly to HYD for a short business trip and the routing (which has already been booked) is the following:

LHR (21:25) - BOM (11:00)
BOM (12:55) - HYD (14:15)

This has been booked through 9W. Since I've never been to BOM and transferred there, you guys think the 1:55hrs is enough for the intl - domestic transfer? I am assuming my checked-in luggage is going to be through checked to HYD and I actually don't have to collect it myself and re-check it.

Any ideas and opinions?
personally, i would not try this in 2 hours....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.