Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:12 pm
wdc

I'll be arriving in BOM at 2:30am on EK. I'd like to book the 5:10am 9W flight to UDR. Will this be doable with checked luggage? Any idea if EK will let me check the bags through to 9W?

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Easy peasy. Check thru is theoretically possible, but won't really help you as you have to pick up your luggage to take it thru customs anyway.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:44 am

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of transferring from an international flight to a domestic flight within terminal 2, now that Jet Airways has moved its operations over there? I am due to land with BA at 11.10, and considering booking a 13.35 flight to Kochi with Jet. Too tight?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:16 pm

Recent experience ...

Star Alliance Gold member traveled with family (2A+2C) in Y, on Jet from PNQ-BOM & then on UA from BOM-EWR.

Ticket was booked on Expedia but entire itinerary becomes a Jet Airways ticket because it operates the first leg. But considering that it was an international itinerary, Jet allowed the 2 bags weighing each 23 KGs . I confirmed this by calling them in advance although the website has no information about this. Bags were checked all the way thru EWR. Downside is that Jet does not recognize the extra baggage allowance for *A Gold members.

In BOM, just had to do immigration & security & headed straight to GVK lounge. The attendant asked for my BP and *A Gold card (LH M&M Senator). She then validated it by calling Lufthansa & United. Did take 15 minutes but allowed access for family to the lounge. Since I had a sour past experience where AI only issued me 2 passes, the attendant this time said that kids are free, so no lounge passes required. And since I was *A Gold, I can take one guest with me. Not sure if the rules have been relaxed but they have been a bit strict when allowing access for family.

So overall good experience. Transit via BOM works great on Jet because they moved to T2. Much better than taking the shuttle from domestic airport.

Let's hope it stays this way.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AA
I'm arriving in LHR-AUH-BOM via EY204 at 740pm on a Saturday night, and my (planned) ongoing flight is on Malindo OD216 BOM-KUL at 1115pm. Will be in J on both flights, but different PNR.

I will have checked luggage, OD does not have interline agreements with EY so I don't think I'll have a choice except to pick up my luggage and check in everything again. From what I read in the past few pages, immigration is quick but luggage may be slower.

In summary will 3 hours and 35 minutes be enough time to get from the plane to the terminal, go through immigration, pick up luggage, recheck them in and go through immigration and security again to get to the gates? Both OD and EY are in BOM T2, we're traveling in J on both flights, 2 adults + 3 older children. We will have tourist visas.

Last edited by gameover98; May 3, 2016 at 8:32 am
Old May 3, 2016, 8:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yes, easy peasy. J pax are thru the immigration in 30 min, luggage should be on the belt in 40.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AA
Thanks oliver2002 that's excellent news. Was worried a bit after reading some unhappy reviews about immigration when departing being painfully slow.

I checked the flight status at BOM today, EY204 actually landed almost an hour early today, while OD216 looks like it'll be slightly delayed so I may have more time than I expected.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Connecting Jet domestic to UA Intl at BOM. Have Star Gold. What is the best option for lounge in BOM at INTL departure area?

I would have preferred AI instead of Jet domestic but the combined ticket priced too high....
Old May 4, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Connecting Jet domestic to UA Intl at BOM. Have Star Gold. What is the best option for lounge in BOM at INTL departure area?

I would have preferred AI instead of Jet domestic but the combined ticket priced too high....
UA will guest you into the GVK lounge. You need to pick up an invite at the UA checkin desk.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-mumbai-4.html
Old May 4, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
UA will guest you into the GVK lounge. You need to pick up an invite at the UA checkin desk.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-mumbai-4.html
Thank you - is there a check in desk (transit desk check in)? I assume I do not need to exit the transit area. Bags will have been through-checked in at my departure point (MAA)
Old May 4, 2016, 12:18 pm

When you come in from MAA you end up outside of security anyways, you don't stay airside because you have to do immigration etc.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:54 pm

I have the following connection, DEL-BOM-AUH with EY although the DEL-BOM is operated by 9W. I have a 1hr 50min layover at BOM and will have 2 checked-in and 1 carry-on bag. How difficult will this connection be now that 9W has moved to T2? Thank you.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
When you come in from MAA you end up outside of security anyways, you don't stay airside because you have to do immigration etc.
Thank you. looking forward to seeing BOM Facilities.
Old May 8, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Thank you - is there a check in desk (transit desk check in)? I assume I do not need to exit the transit area. Bags will have been through-checked in at my departure point (MAA)
Check my recent experience above (dated Apr 29)

Jet will give you boarding passes till your final destination. Bags will be checked in all the way to EWR. In BOM, you will exit the transit area and will have to do security and immigration. You will need that security clearance stamp on the BP. Then, head straight to GVK lounge & show your *A Gold card to get your pass. Just one thing - security will only allow 4 hours (or less) prior to departure. We were lucky during our transit on Apr 29th where we had 5 hours. My family had already cleared security & I was allowed on that basis.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:08 pm

Belated thanks to Redhat. I am hopeful it is smooth sailing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.