Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
9W will take care of the bags, no need to do anything in BOM.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I have an international-2-international connection at Terminal 2, arriving on Singapore Airlines and departing on a Turkish Airlines flight to Istanbul about 1h 30min later. The entire itinerary is on the same ticket, but I don't know if Singapore Airlines will be able to print a boarding pass for the Turkish Airlines flight on check-in. Is there a transfer desk that will be able to do this without me having to go through immigration? I'm travelling without any checked luggage.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yes, just after deplaning from the SQ flight, look for the transfer desk, they will organise the TK boarding pass for you.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, just after deplaning from the SQ flight, look for the transfer desk, they will organise the TK boarding pass for you.
Great, thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Domestic to Domestic transfer on Jet Airways

I have looked through this thread and most questions seem to be about International-Domestic connections or vv. My question is about Domestic-Domestic.

I am booking a flight later in the year Jaipur-Bombay-Kochi on Jet Airways. Ticket says it would be connecting at Terminal 1B. The transfer time is an hour. One PNR.

Is this enough, and what is the procedure at Bombay? Will my bags be checked through from Jaipur or will I need to collect them.

Finally I thought I read that Jet were moving to T2. Is that happening and, if so, would it make connecting any easier/more difficult?

Many thanks
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:53 am

Bags will be checked to final destination, you will get both boarding passes too. Once in BOM just don't follow the crowd, but look for the transfer channel.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:40 pm

International Terminal Mosquitoes

<deleted>

Last edited by desi; Mar 3, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:10 pm

Niranta Hotel

Found about this hotel few posts upthread on this thread.

Reviews seems mixed on the TA

Any personal experience data point from FTer?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:37 pm

<deleted>
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:27 pm

Air India in Mumbai question (domestic to international transfer)

In June 2016, I am planning to fly from Chennai (MAA) to Newark (EWR) through Mumbai (BOM). It is on a single ticket all the way through from MAA to EWR.

[MAAto BOM: AI 93]
[BOM to EWR: AI 191]

Two questions:
1. Is the transfer in Mumbai usually easy? Does it involve terminal changes, rechecked baggage, re check-in?

2. Is the 1 hr 55m connection time in Mumbai cutting it too close?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyercolorado
Air India in Mumbai question (domestic to international transfer)

In June 2016, I am planning to fly from Chennai (MAA) to Newark (EWR) through Mumbai (BOM). It is on a single ticket all the way through from MAA to EWR.

[MAAto BOM: AI 93]
[BOM to EWR: AI 191]

Two questions:
1. Is the transfer in Mumbai usually easy? Does it involve terminal changes, rechecked baggage, re check-in?

2. Is the 1 hr 55m connection time in Mumbai cutting it too close?
1. Easy. Same terminal - you would probably go through immigration in Mumbai. Bags would be checked through to EWR.

2. Should be OK. Worst case AI would express you through to BOM-EWR if your chennai flight is delayed
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:12 pm

AI 93 is a internation/domestic hybrid, on which you will clear immigration in MAA itself and just change aircraft in BOM in the same international concourse.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I have the following schedule:

BKK - BOM (TG or AI, Economy)
BOM - FRA (LH, Business)

The 2 segments will be on 2 separate tickets. Can anybody give a recommendation, if AI or TG is easier with checking luggage through? Both belong to *A, so I would assume that both are able to check the luggage to FRA, even on 2 separate PNR's.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:34 am

AI and TG will refuse to tag your luggage thru by default, so plan to immigrate and collect your luggage in BOM.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:57 am

Just received an email from Jet Airways saying:

"We’re happy to announce that all Jet Airways domestic flights will operate from Terminal (T2) of the Mumbai International Airport from March 15, 2016."

Does anyone know whether this is just Jet Airways which now operates domestic flights from T2, or whether it now applies to all domestic flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.