Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Not on separate tickets!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: QFF
So Is my only option to pay Rs 300 per kilo?
I thought if the bookings were linked, then the international allowance applied.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Strategies

Just looking for some strategies from some of the experts here…
I'm flying UA EWR-BOM arriving at 9:40 PM. I depart the next morning on 9W at 6:20 AM to COK. Some questions:
1) I know this is an awful transit. What to do to make it the least painful? Go to a hotel for 3-4 hours? Head straight over to the domestic terminal and sleep in a seat. Looks like all the lounges are closed.
2) Baggage Interline: I can check bags with UA for free. Any experience with interlining them overnight like this?
3) If I go for a hotel…what time do I have to really be at the airport the next morning for domestic departure.

On the way back, my connection in BOM is much more reasonable. It doesn't look like there's an obvious way out of paying the 9W luggage fees to get bags to BOM before an international connection.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Just looking for some strategies from some of the experts here…
I'm flying UA EWR-BOM arriving at 9:40 PM. I depart the next morning on 9W at 6:20 AM to COK. Some questions:
1) I know this is an awful transit. What to do to make it the least painful? Go to a hotel for 3-4 hours? Head straight over to the domestic terminal and sleep in a seat. Looks like all the lounges are closed.
2) Baggage Interline: I can check bags with UA for free. Any experience with interlining them overnight like this?
3) If I go for a hotel…what time do I have to really be at the airport the next morning for domestic departure.

On the way back, my connection in BOM is much more reasonable. It doesn't look like there's an obvious way out of paying the 9W luggage fees to get bags to BOM before an international connection.
You have already missed one clever move: you could have booked your BOM-COK flight in the afternoon and could have gotten some real sleep in a real bed. I don't see any alternative to suffering in the domestic terminal. Maybe BOM connoisseurs can advise if it would be better to hang around in the international arrivals area longer.

In my experience 9W has become quite strict about excess baggage charges, but there is no harm in asking. Also try to carry on as much as you can.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just did the night connection in BOM again. My luggage was tagged to CCU, and LH gave me the 9W BP in MUC already. In BOM I turned left after customs as before and qued up with 9W to give them the bags. They just took it and even after weighing (28KG) they just scanned the tag number for their systems and accepted it. So if you have a thru ticket you will be fine.

The inter terminal bus ow departs outside the airport landside and uses the public road. So if you are not in a hurry to get to T1, just stroll across the street from T2 and go to one of the hotels. The ITC and Hilton are very close to the terminal and a walking distance. Eat drink and be merry, then walk back to T2 and take the inter terminal bus.

T1 is horrid to wait at. By 1am all the seats in the waiting area/pen past security before the bus gates were taken. I was glad my flight left at 2.45am!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by somebol
So Is my only option to pay Rs 300 per kilo?
I thought if the bookings were linked, then the international allowance applied.
"Linked" don't mean a thing. Either it is on the same record, or not.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Hi all, First time to India, my apologies but I could not see this answered above.

Booked on AI 130 LHR - AMD. It doesn't list a stop on the ticket but when I look it up on the Air India website it stops in BOM. Also there is a change of plane in BOM from a 787 to a 320

(Note Entire trip is AC34, AC858, AI130 to AMD)

Can anyone tell me what to expect or how to proceed in BOM? Will I clear immigration and customs there?

Clearly there is a plane change from a 787 to a 320 so I'm not sure why it has the same flight number and why it's sold as straight through from LHR to AMD.

Any and all details are greatly appreciated as it's my first time to India (Yes, already have a business visa)

Also the entire trip YVR - YYZ - LHR - BOM - AMD is on one ticket and one PNR
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Hi all, First time to India, my apologies but I could not see this answered above.

Booked on AI 130 LHR - AMD. It doesn't list a stop on the ticket but when I look it up on the Air India website it stops in BOM. Also there is a change of plane in BOM from a 787 to a 320

(Note Entire trip is AC34, AC858, AI130 to AMD)

Can anyone tell me what to expect or how to proceed in BOM? Will I clear immigration and customs there?

Clearly there is a plane change from a 787 to a 320 so I'm not sure why it has the same flight number and why it's sold as straight through from LHR to AMD.

Any and all details are greatly appreciated as it's my first time to India (Yes, already have a business visa)

Also the entire trip YVR - YYZ - LHR - BOM - AMD is on one ticket and one PNR
To give you suggestions on your time in India...how long do you plan to spend ?

how much, when will you have free time ?

In future keep in mind Gulf Carriers connect from USA in the ME and will take you directly to AMD.

It is hot there now !
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
To give you suggestions on your time in India...how long do you plan to spend ?

how much, when will you have free time ?

In future keep in mind Gulf Carriers connect from USA in the ME and will take you directly to AMD.

It is hot there now !
Just there for 3 days for a work event, no free time.

And I did think about that - but then I would have had to go to the USA and I try to avoid that..

Sorry my post was probably not clear, I am worried about the connection in BOM and I'm not sure how it works because it's the same flight number LHR - BOM and BOM - AMD but it's a different plane.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

And I did think about that - but then I would have had to go to the USA and I try to avoid that..

Sorry my post was probably not clear, I am worried about the connection in BOM and I'm not sure how it works because it's the same flight number LHR - BOM and BOM - AMD but it's a different plane.
Dont know the exact answer for your flights. Based on past experience you will do customs at BOM with your bags, then hand the bags to AI for the BOM-AMD domestic segment which likely will be from the domestic terminal and requires a landside transfer. This experience was based on 9W which is why I said that AI may be different. Perhaps someone with experience on AI can chime in.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:05 am

Day bed at BOM lounge?

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are day beds available at the T2 Intl lounge accessible to Star Gold in Mumbai? If not, what about hourly hotels?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Blasé..
AI-130 operates from T-2 International Terminal of Mumbai and also arrives at International T2 in AMD. Immigration and customs for the PAX bound to AMD would be at AMD. There would only be an aircraft change at Mumbai as you mentioned from 787 to 320.

AI pools the PAX arriving in different flights to BOM (mainly from MCT & LON) and flies them as a single flight to AMD. Also all AI flights numbered bet 001-399 operates from respective International Terminals.

Cheers!!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Bioflyer
AI-130 operates from T-2 International Terminal of Mumbai and also arrives at International T2 in AMD. Immigration and customs for the PAX bound to AMD would be at AMD. There would only be an aircraft change at Mumbai as you mentioned from 787 to 320.

AI pools the PAX arriving in different flights to BOM (mainly from MCT & LON) and flies them as a single flight to AMD. Also all AI flights numbered bet 001-399 operates from respective International Terminals.

Cheers!!
Thank you!!! That is awesome information! Very much appreciated!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by intltravel90
Hello,

Does anyone know if there are day beds available at the T2 Intl lounge accessible to Star Gold in Mumbai? If not, what about hourly hotels?

Thanks.
BOM has a vast J lounge for almost ALL airlines.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP

AI 130 operates LHR-BOM-AMD, with a halt at BOM.

You would be through checked-in till AMD and at BOM, you would pick your cabin baggage and shift to an A320. Customs & Passport Control at AMD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.