Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

INTL-INTL connection at BOM airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Ill be traveling from HKG to LHR this may.

My sister will be in Mumbai, and I was hoping to meet her for the BOM-LHR leg. My plan is to fly CX 685 in to BOM and 9W 120 to LHR, in paid F class. That leaves me with a roughly two hour layover. I have no visa for India.

I read of a few experiences of INTL connections at BOM (seems like they're a headache), but is it easier connecting to 9W? My sister mentioned that the 9W ground staff for first class is great at BOM (front of security line, etc.). Is there a 9W transfer desk or would I have to flag down one of the ground staff and go through the complicated transit process? I won't have checked bags.

Would it be significantly easier to fly HKG-BOM-LHR on 9W?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:54 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
A lot of connecting information in the sticky thread linked below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...-airports.html
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:39 am

As AJ pointed out, that thread has most of the details.

I will say though that international-to-international at BOM can be surprisingly quick and relatively painless. If only because the BOM terminal is tiny. I've never done it myself, but by all accounts it's very possible to get from your Cathay seat to your Jet departure gate in under 10 minutes.

The main thing to keep in mind when doing a CX-9W connection is luggage. If both flights are on one ticket, Cathay will check your bags through. If separate tickets, chances are they might not.

If you do the CX-9W combination, make sure you OLCI for the Jet flight, that will make life easier. And the ground staff are pretty helpful; they've been known to fetch luggage from baggage claim and all manner of other things to help you get on your flight. Just ask and check several times.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jasepl
I will say though that international-to-international at BOM can be surprisingly quick and relatively painless. If only because the BOM terminal is tiny. I've never done it myself, but by all accounts it's very possible to get from your Cathay seat to your Jet departure gate in under 10 minutes.

The main thing to keep in mind when doing a CX-9W connection is luggage. If both flights are on one ticket, Cathay will check your bags through. If separate tickets, chances are they might not.

If you do the CX-9W combination, make sure you OLCI for the Jet flight, that will make life easier. And the ground staff are pretty helpful; they've been known to fetch luggage from baggage claim and all manner of other things to help you get on your flight. Just ask and check several times.
i've done an international to international connection in bom once & it was very quick & easy....you make a good point about the luggage....my first flight was on mk & the second on 9w so my bags were not checked all the way to my final destination....i was in 'f' so the 9w staff was very helpful & checked my bags in bom otherwise i would have had to go through immigration & customs to get my bags & check in again....
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
OP doesn't have any checked bags.. Connection should be seamless assuming your incoming flight isn't delayed.

There is a transfer desk and 9W will definitely assist you with the connection.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Anish
OP doesn't have any checked bags.. Connection should be seamless assuming your incoming flight isn't delayed.

There is a transfer desk and 9W will definitely assist you with the connection.
Specially as its F class
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone! The connection seems totally doable.

I talked to my TA and he says it'll ticket on CX stock. Does that mean that CX can print both boarding passes at HKG?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by LVGlobetrotter
I talked to my TA and he says it'll ticket on CX stock. Does that mean that CX can print both boarding passes at HKG?
If both tickets are on the same PNR (Which I'm assuming they will be) then yes, CX will print your BP at HKG.. Will make your connection very quick and seamless.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:24 am

If both tickets are on the same PNR (Which I'm assuming they will be) then yes, CX will print your BP at HKG.. Will make your connection very quick and seamless.
I agree, It shouldn't be a problem at all.

But I wouldn't go so far as calling it seamless... It's India. There will be seams. Just nothing to stress over.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by jasepl
But I wouldn't go so far as calling it seamless... It's India. There will be seams. Just nothing to stress over.
Hahaha.. I agree. Like I tell all my friends travelling to India from abroad, you need to enjoy the chaos!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:11 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Hahaha.. I agree. Like I tell all my friends travelling to India from abroad, you need to enjoy the chaos!
Yup. +1..

I vividly recall a member of my client team who was visiting India for the 1st time.. We landed at around 1Am in DEL and then out of the airport arnd 2Am..Seeing the number of people waiting there, with the number of cars and agents and the honking made her so nervous that she started to cry..
Only after a few hrs did she come back to her self but yes for many its a drastic change from their environments..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.