Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Understanding the India-based airlines: where do I begin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding the India-based airlines: where do I begin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
NA perspective

Since I live in NA and travelled to India last july here is my perspective on some of the airlines mentioned.
We (5 of us incl kids) flew Indigo and AI. Indigo is a LCC but mostly new planes, impeccable service and clean aircraft. They were also on-time though one flight is not representative. Crew were very friendly. They do charge for everything incl pop. My 2 cents is given how professional the airline fely, I would fly them again anytime.
Also flew AI. More spacious seats. Flight crew seemed a little remote. Aircraft was also old/worn.
I have flown Jet international and they seem way better than some of the NA carriers. never flown JetKonnect.
My view would be to go Indigo if the routing allows it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
one more thing to consider is luggage (if you have a lot). AI gives 25kg in economy..other carriers 20kg. For FSC I prefer AI for that reason. For LCC, I prefer 6E.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by haricharan
one more thing to consider is luggage (if you have a lot). AI gives 25kg in economy..other carriers 20kg. For FSC I prefer AI for that reason. For LCC, I prefer 6E.
Building on this - they have all become much stricter with baggage allowance and will charge you the appropriate amount for even a few kilos of extra luggage. So travel light if you can. The only potential exception is if you're connecting directly to an int'l flight - but even 9W didn't care last year when I was flying IXC-DEL and going straight to an int'l flight (granted not on 9W but still). And the charges aren't cheap - I believe 6E charges Rs 200/kg which can quickly add up to more than the cost of your ticket. If baggage is a concern I would book AI as they can be sweet talked much easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.