FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   AI domestic connecting to LX - Will I get International baggage allowance on AI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1368766-ai-domestic-connecting-lx-will-i-get-international-baggage-allowance-ai.html)

sharmaintl Jul 21, 2012 11:36 am

AI domestic connecting to LX - Will I get International baggage allowance on AI

I am flying from DEL to BOM on AI and have a LX flight to ZRH later the same day. The two flights are on separate tix. Will AI give me international baggage allowance? Their website does not provide anything on this.

oliver2002 Jul 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by sharmaintl (Post 18974976)
The two flights are on separate tix.

Theoretically no. The above statement is the killer.

rsh913 Jul 21, 2012 6:47 pm

AI domestic connecting to LX - Will I get International baggage allowance on AI

Previously an intl connection within 24 hrs usually allowed for intl baggage allowance. However as of April that has changed. Now the only way to get it is to the two pnrs linked in the booking. LCcs never honored the baggage allowance btw.

You might still find a sympatetic agent who will honor it.

Keyser Jul 22, 2012 3:02 am

Originally Posted by sharmaintl (Post 18974976)
I am flying from DEL to BOM on AI and have a LX flight to ZRH later the same day. The two flights are on separate tix. Will AI give me international baggage allowance? Their website does not provide anything on this.

as per the rules you won't, but it all depends on the agent checking you in....

Keyser Jul 22, 2012 3:02 am

Originally Posted by rsh913 (Post 18976863)
Previously an intl connection within 24 hrs usually allowed for intl baggage allowance. However as of April that has changed. Now the only way to get it is to the two pnrs linked in the booking. LCcs never honored the baggage allowance btw.

ai in not a lcc....

PVDtoDEL Jul 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Previously an intl connection within 24 hrs usually allowed for intl baggage allowance. However as of April that has changed. Now the only way to get it is to the two pnrs linked in the booking. LCCs never honored the baggage allowance btw.

SG still honors to this day...

Yep.

Regardless, AI's domestic allowance (25 Kg), plus the ~5 Kg leeway they usually give you is the most generous (except for SG when connecting to international).

Yaatri Jul 24, 2012 11:08 am

Going by the number of questions about baggage allowance when connecting from one airline to another on two separate tickets, using more than one ticket for one trip has become way more frequent than an exception.
Since baggage has become a significant source of revenue, exceptions made my airlines will become rarer as more than one ticket for a single trip becomes more frequent.

Meku Jul 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 18980507)
SG still honors to this day...

Yep.

Regardless, AI's domestic allowance (25 Kg), plus the ~5 Kg leeway they usually give you is the most generous (except for SG when connecting to international).

Hope SG honors it till end of August. I am flying ORD-HYD on AI and HYD-VGA on SG on a different ticket.

On a separate note, I am returning HYD-ORD in September. AI127 departs HYD at 2050. There is an SG flight from VGA-HYD that arrives 1820. I am planning to book this for my return if SG honors my international baggage allowance.

Will 2hr30min enough to collect bags from domestic and check-in at international? How is on time performance of SG?

PVDtoDEL Jul 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Meku (Post 18994649)
On a separate note, I am returning HYD-ORD in September. AI127 departs HYD at 2050. There is an SG flight from VGA-HYD that arrives 1820. I am planning to book this for my return if SG honors my international baggage allowance.

Will 2hr30min enough to collect bags from domestic and check-in at international? How is on time performance of SG?

2h30 is tight - a 1h delay, and you miss the connection.

Why not book VGA-ORD on one ticket? AI 840 connects to AI 127 at DEL...

hyderago Jul 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 18992922)
Going by the number of questions about baggage allowance when connecting from one airline to another on two separate tickets, using more than one ticket for one trip has become way more frequent than an exception.
Since baggage has become a significant source of revenue, exceptions made my airlines will become rarer as more than one ticket for a single trip becomes more frequent.

Agreed. Once these exceptions are stopped, I expect a bunch of threads by random, inexperienced travelers (who thought they were smart but get their a**e* handed to them) complaining about "poor" treatment by airlines.

hyderago Jul 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 18996207)

It sounds like Meku has already booked his HYD-ORD ticket. So the routing that PVDtoDEL suggested is not feasible.

Meku, I agree with PVDtoDEL that you are fine as long as the SG flight is not delayed too much (which is rare, but still not something I would want to count on when making an international connection).

Meku Jul 25, 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 18996207)

Originally Posted by hyderago (Post 18996784)
It sounds like Meku has already booked his HYD-ORD ticket. So the routing that PVDtoDEL suggested is not feasible.

Meku, I agree with PVDtoDEL that you are fine as long as the SG flight is not delayed too much (which is rare, but still not something I would want to count on when making an international connection).

Yes, I already booked the ticket. Initially I thought of booking VGA-ORD but the price difference was more and I was told by the agent that 2pc baggage might not be allowed for the domestic connection. VGA-HYD on SG is around $50, so thinking.

Thanks for the replies. I will monitor SG arrival time for few days.

SpeedFreak Jul 25, 2012 12:30 pm

All said and done if 2 and a half hours is not sufficient connection time at HYD , then seriously what is. .... happens but on those days even 10 hours connection time is not enough.

PVDtoDEL Jul 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by shahadil (Post 19000367)
All said and done if 2 and a half hours is not sufficient connection time at HYD , then seriously what is. .... happens but on those days even 10 hours connection time is not enough.

2h30 is tight. SG uses bus gates at HYD, and OP has luggage too. So to get curbside, it probably would take ~30 mins.

Since 127 is an international flight, check-in closes early... So OP would only have ~30 minute buffer for delays.

If everything is on time, it certainly is doable, but I wouldn't say it's comfortable.

And to OP: if you booked VGA-ORD on a single ticket, international allowance would be honored.

SpeedFreak Jul 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Oh and one more thing. The air India HYD people, or rather the sats people are really sick over there for intl departures. I know more people that have been de checked by them or not accepted for check in than those who have actually travelled. Web check is absolute must and proceeding to counter with utmost priority.