Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now spicejet is throwing tantrums

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold
Now spicejet is throwing tantrums

I have booked a flight for HYD-VTZ sector, and I came to know that the flight has been taken out of schedule(Spicejet didnt even inform me about it). Now I call Spicejet to confirm the same, they said they can push me into an early morning flight or an evening flight as they have cancelled the afternoon flight and they also said they can give me a full refund.

As I cant travel on the other options given to me, I have asked for the refund. They said they can return the entire amount except for the transaction fee . Now how on this earth can they justify that? I am not the one who cancelled my ticket, it was Spicejet which didn't honor the schedule and why should I pay the transaction fee when they didn't offer me the service?

Ps: They didn't refund my transaction fee, I have mailed them about the same. Its not about Rs.100 here, its about the unfair practice.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:39 am

I don't think your thread title accurately describes spicejet's actions.

Well the policy is somewhat unfair, if the policy is in the terms and conditions of the ticket (which I assume it is) and not in violation of any local law (which I assume it isn't) the policy is just something you will have to accept. But it isn't a 'tantrum' in any sense.

Charging your credit card, processing a ticket, and then refunding your card does have real costs to the airline, probably much more than the transaction fee.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by will2288
Charging your credit card, processing a ticket, and then refunding your card does have real costs to the airline, probably much more than the transaction fee.
Agreed.

However, the airline chose to cancel the flight here, so it's not the passenger's burden.

I had a similar situation with Jet, where they cancelled the flight. Long story short, they first claimed I was only owed the taxes, then they agreed they owed me the fare as well. It takes a bit of perseverance.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold

Well the policy is somewhat unfair, if the policy is in the terms and conditions of the ticket (which I assume it is) and not in violation of any local law (which I assume it isn't) the policy is just something you will have to accept. But it isn't a 'tantrum' in any sense.

I am willing to pay their transaction fee if they provide me the service. But if they cancel the service, why I am I supposed to pay? I am not questioning their transaction fee here(If I have problem with their fee I would chose another airline which is not charging)how can they charge me when they cancel the flight?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by k819
how can they charge me when they cancel the flight?
They can because it is in the terms of the ticket you bought. But I agree that it is unfair.

Is my two-second google search correct that you are talking about 100 Indian Rupees, which is about $1.80USD? If so, I wouldn't waste my time emailing or calling about this. If you continue to complain, you might get it refunded but you will have spent far too much in time and effort (or postage) than it is worth.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:57 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
how can they charge me when they cancel the flight?
They can because it is in the terms of the ticket you bought. But I agree that it is unfair.

Is my two-second google search correct that you are talking about 100 Indian Rupees, which is about $1.80USD? If so, I wouldn't waste my time emailing or calling about this. If you continue to complain, you might get it refunded but you will have spent far too much in time and effort (or postage) than it is worth.
It's not about the money
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 am

Hi,

I agree that this is unethical, however followed by most of the airlines and also included under their terms and conditions. I had a similar experience with Air Asia when they canceled the flights from Delhi to Bangkok and still unable to provide complete refund and when asked, they did mention that it was under their terms and conditions and there is nothing they could do.

Thanks and Regards
taran_2005
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Its not about Rs.100 here, its about the unfair practice.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:05 pm
Suspended

I have booked a flight for HYD-VTZ sector, and I came to know that the flight has been taken out of schedule(Spicejet didnt even inform me about it). Now I call Spicejet to confirm the same, they said they can push me into an early morning flight or an evening flight as they have cancelled the afternoon flight and they also said they can give me a full refund.

As I cant travel on the other options given to me, I have asked for the refund. They said they can return the entire amount except for the transaction fee . Now how on this earth can they justify that? I am not the one who cancelled my ticket, it was Spicejet which didn't honor the schedule and why should I pay the transaction fee when they didn't offer me the service?

Ps: They didn't refund my transaction fee, I have mailed them about the same. Its not about Rs.100 here, its about the unfair practice.
Did you read terms and conditions before you booked? What do they say? Was there a separate transaction fee at the time of booking?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:07 pm
Suspended

I don't think it's the airline that's throwing tantrums.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

i agree on both counts....its not just spicejet but a lot of other airlines that do this....

recently i had a similar problem with jet....they changed the timing of their flight by a couple of hours which would result in me missing my connecting flight....they agreed to refund the full amount but wouldn't refund the transaction fee....to make matters worse, they said they would have to charge me another transaction fee to process the refund....i eventually got both transaction fees waived but it took more time than i was willing to spend....not worth it in my opinion to save inr 300....

same problem with united....they changed their flight time by a little under an hour which again would have resulted in me missing my connecting flight....they agreed to change my flight without any change fee but said i would have to pay the difference in fare for moving to the new flight....it was only $8 so i didn't fight it....
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Did you read terms and conditions before you booked? What do they say? Was there a separate transaction fee at the time of booking?
I have read the terms and conditions and this is what it says

"For every booking on the basic fare there would be fuel charge depending on the sector flown, a Government fee (PSF), a Government service tax and in addition applicable UDF/ADF will be charged.

Flight Cancellations
SpiceJet will make all reasonable efforts to ensure timely operations of its scheduled flights. However, due to unforeseen circumstances causing a delay or cancellation of its scheduled operations :

SpiceJet shall endeavour to inform the passenger(s) about flight cancellation atleast three hours in advance through telephone call or SMS, provided the passenger(s) have given correct and working mobile number at the time of effecting the reservation.

In respect of passenger(s) who have provided correct and working mobile number at the time of effecting the reservation and have not been informed at least three(3) hours in advance about the cancellation of the flight on which they were scheduled to travel, SpiceJet shall
provide following financial compensation only if the amount of tickets price is higher than the compensation amount as below:
Rs.2,000 or the value of the ticket whichever is less for flights having a block time of upto and including one hour.
Rs.3,000 or the value of the ticket whichever is less for flights having block time of more than one hour and upto and including two hours.
Rs.4,000 or the value of the ticket whichever is less for flights having a block time of more than two hours.

If the cost of the ticket is less than the amount of compensation indicated above, the airline will be liable to compensate an amount equivalent to the ticket price. AND
refund the ticket price to the passenger(s) in the event they do not wish to travel instead on any subsequent SpiceJet flight or on another carrier's flight or if so desired by the passengers, they shall be offered alternate travel opportunities at no additional cost. AND
provide reasonable refreshments in the event they have already reported for their original flight and whilst they are waiting for the alternate flight / arrangement."

There was a separate transaction fee and no where it is mentioned that transaction fee will be collected in the first place.

Last edited by k819; Jul 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

HYD to VTZ
1 Adult fare: 2,520.00
(basic fare + airline fuel charge + transaction charge)
Charges and Fees
Passenger Service Fee: 225.00
Airport Fee - UDF/ADF/DF: 484.00
Service Tax @4.95 %
(Incl.2%EC,1%SHEC): 125.00
Price Total: 3,354.00

This is the general fare breakup now. For my ticket it was like this after the booking

Fare
(fare + airline fuel charge + transaction charge) 827.00

Passenger Service Fee 225.00

Airport Fee – UDF/ADF/DF 484.00

Card Transaction Charge 100.00

Service Tax @ 4.95%
(Incl. 2%EC,1%SHEC) 141.00
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:08 am

That the terms and conditions say whatever it is they say is not in question. That too can (and should) be challenged for being, well, dumb.

Tomorrow they may add a clause that they owe passengers no refund of any kind in any situation. That doesn't mean it can stand scrutiny.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasepl
That the terms and conditions say whatever it is they say is not in question. That too can (and should) be challenged for being, well, dumb.

Tomorrow they may add a clause that they owe passengers no refund of any kind in any situation. That doesn't mean it can stand scrutiny.
I agree with you..But its not in the T&C in the first place

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.