Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

You might want to weigh in on this thread...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

Hi guys,

A bit OT, but you may want to take a look at this thread and possibly comment if you have any experiences with LH:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...treatment.html
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The story has been embelished. The airline did not do anything wrong.
This happens when people are ignorant of rules and have an exagerated sense of entitlement.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:09 pm

So typical. Why do Indian girls/women behave like this?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
It's disappointing, but not surprising, that the article tried to play the "racism" card.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Buttwiser
So typical. Why do Indian girls/women behave like this?
not all indian girls/women behave this way....this has more to do with the fact that they were inexperienced travelers....as yaatri correctly stated, the airline did nothing wrong & stuff like this will continue to happen when people are ignorant of the rules....
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:55 am

Teenagers are dumb, in general (we've all been there, we know we were dumb too). And teenage girls are shockingly oblivious to the world around them. Indian teenage girls are increasingly amongst the most oblivious now.

And that's not Lufthansa's fault.

That said, whilst I don't see Lufthansa having any obligation to do anything for the two airheads, it wouldn't have killed them to put the girls on another flight with a lecture but without a financial penalty. Of course, it's entirely possible the agents on the ground were not authorised or accustomed to make such a decision and it really makes little sense to go out of your way for two nitwits on the lowest fare when you have 10 million other passengers to worry about.

And racism. Of course. When all else fails (or even if it doesn't), playing the racism card has become a fad.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
People who haven't been out of the country need to remember that IST only works in India
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI may practice IST on long haul, but is merciless when you miss a deadline...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:48 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by jasepl
Teenagers are dumb, in general (we've all been there, we know we were dumb too). And teenage girls are shockingly oblivious to the world around them. Indian teenage girls are increasingly amongst the most oblivious now.

And that's not Lufthansa's fault.

That said, whilst I don't see Lufthansa having any obligation to do anything for the two airheads, it wouldn't have killed them to put the girls on another flight with a lecture but without a financial penalty. Of course, it's entirely possible the agents on the ground were not authorised or accustomed to make such a decision and it really makes little sense to go out of your way for two nitwits on the lowest fare when you have 10 million other passengers to worry about.

And racism. Of course. When all else fails (or even if it doesn't), playing the racism card has become a fad.
Couldn't agree more.. Teenage girls who have never been out of the country.. The false sense of entitlement..!!

The first time I flew to Singapore (and I was a teenager), I was late for my return flight and when the Check in agent gave me a sarcastic comment, I also thought - "what the hell, they din announce my name, or the fact that the gates are closing, why the hell is he shouting at me..??".. with age, and more frequent international travel, came the realisation, that paging for passengers is not a norm.. flying too much domestic, can give you a wrong idea of what international flying is all about..

But that said, LH could have shown a lil more compassion.. and as much as we like to trash is both ways, sometimes people can be racist against Indians/ Pakistanis/ Bangaladeshis/ Sri Lankans, and not necessarily the other asain brothers from China and Japan and Korea or Singapore.. Who amongst us hasn't been subjected to racism or has not witnessed it at an airport..

I for myself have been subjected to it at UK airports, many a times, and it's a reality we need to live with..
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by simz
I for myself have been subjected to it at UK airports, many a times, and it's a reality we need to live with..
uk is the only place i have experienced this....not just once but a bunch of times....

to me, it seems like the situation went like this....inexperienced teenagers lose track of time at duty free & miss their flight....then they are asked to pay the fee to board the next flight....they panic since they don't know how to tell their parents they screwed up so they blame it on the airline....there are about half a dozen things in this girls story that just don't add up....
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
flying too much domestic, can give you a wrong idea of what international flying is all about..

Who amongst us hasn't been subjected to racism or has not witnessed it at an airport..
+1
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser

to me, it seems like the situation went like this....inexperienced teenagers lose track of time at duty free & miss their flight....then they are asked to pay the fee to board the next flight....they panic since they don't know how to tell their parents they screwed up so they blame it on the airline....there are about half a dozen things in this girls story that just don't add up....
^^
That sums it up nicely.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:29 am

flying too much domestic, can give you a wrong idea of what international flying is all about..
To be honest, I haven't noticed much difference. Flying is flying...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:45 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by Keyser
uk is the only place i have experienced this....not just once but a bunch of times....
Could be only UK.. I haven’t had any issue in Asia or Europe.. infact I flew in and out of Switzerland and Portugal, and the staff (airlines, information centre, immigration) was more than helpful all throughout.. Don’t have much experience with US.. have just about landed.. so too early to judge..

But it does remind me of the scene in “Up in the Air” where George is teaching his protégé about living in the airport world and points towards an Asian group at the security check and says “5 words – Randomly Selected For Additional Screening”..!! I couldn’t help laughing at the obvious connotation..

As for the girl’s story, nothing adds up.. too many lies, too many hidden stuff.. The girl’s screwed up, the airlines was a lil less co-operative.. the staff could have been rude- can’t be sure one way or the other.. the got a free hotel stay (lol) and got to fly together at a small charge.. win win situation for all…!!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:48 am

Could be only UK.. I haven’t had any issue in Asia or Europe.. infact I flew in and out of Switzerland and Portugal, and the staff (airlines, information centre, immigration) was more than helpful all throughout.. Don’t have much experience with US.. have just about landed.. so too early to judge..
Racism is definitely alive at US airports. Dealing with the TSA is generally a nightmare for Indians who forgot to take a bath in Fair & Lovely

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.