FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Most comfortable flight between US and India - AI 191 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1335533-most-comfortable-flight-between-us-india-ai-191-a.html)

aquafina Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am

Most comfortable flight between US and India - AI 191

Having flown almost every major airline between US and India (including Lufthansa, British, Delta, Emirates, Air France, Continental, Etihad,..), I recently had taken the Air India direct flight from New Jersey to Mumbai. This was the "shortest" flight I had ever taken from US to India. the flight reached Mumbai in a record 13 hours. Excellent leg space compared to most american and european airlines. Food was really good too. The main advantage was the timing of the flight. The flight took off from Newark at 4:30pm and reached Mumbai at 3pm India time. It was the first time, I landed in broad daylight in India while flying from the US (almost every flight from the US to India lands at midnight causing inconvenience to people coming to receive us at the airport). I feel this is an excellent flight for anyone connecting to a domestic flight in India. A friend of mine had recommended this flight and he too said that it was an excellent flight.

PVDtoDEL Apr 13, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for reporting your good experience aquafina.

I have never flown on 191, but I flew on 126/127 (DEL-ORD-DEL) for the first time a few weeks ago, and had a similarly positive experience (although 127 was delayed by 1.5 hours for no apparent reason).

Mr. Bean Apr 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by aquafina (Post 18386425)
Having flown almost every major airline between US and India (including Lufthansa, British, Delta, Emirates, Air France, Continental, Etihad,..), I recently had taken the Air India direct flight from New Jersey to Mumbai. This was the "shortest" flight I had ever taken from US to India. the flight reached Mumbai in a record 13 hours. Excellent leg space compared to most american and european airlines. Food was really good too. The main advantage was the timing of the flight. The flight took off from Newark at 4:30pm and reached Mumbai at 3pm India time. It was the first time, I landed in broad daylight in India while flying from the US (almost every flight from the US to India lands at midnight causing inconvenience to people coming to receive us at the airport). I feel this is an excellent flight for anyone connecting to a domestic flight in India. A friend of mine had recommended this flight and he too said that it was an excellent flight.

Yes, it is pretty convenient timing from the east cost. Personally, I prefer arriving at the odd hour because it means less traffic and I can get home quickly. But I can see how it would be inconvenient if relying on family/friends for transport.

Keyser Apr 13, 2012 2:40 pm

welcome to ft aquafina....thanks for the report....i agree, the timing seems to be the best bit about this flight....

dgxoxo Apr 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Agree 100%. Although I would never fly out of Jerz. So for me, the JFK-DEL nonstop is the best!

jasepl Apr 14, 2012 6:40 am

Originally Posted by aquafina (Post 18386425)

That sounds great, and I am a BIG fan of AI's consolidation at one hub as well as the perfectly logical timings of their long-haul flights (civilised, with the domestic network within easy reach). Their inflight product too is acceptable, especially since the assortment of leased / borrowed / owned planes were replaced with a new fleet featuring a consistent kit.

However, I still have zero trust in AI's ability to manage anything in the event of IRROPS. Things may go wrong less frequently at AI than they used to, but when they do, o boy. I'm afraid my masochistic streak is long gone.

PVDtoDEL Apr 14, 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by jasepl (Post 18391183)
However, I still have zero trust in AI's ability to manage anything in the event of IRROPS. Things may go wrong less frequently at AI than they used to, but when they do, o boy. I'm afraid my masochistic streak is long gone.

I've watched those horror videos on YouTube too, and they truly are horrible. I can't imagine being in a position like that.

That said, in the IRROPS I've experienced with AI, they have usually handled it competently. I've been rebooked onto another carrier every time but once, when I was offered a hotel (I declined, preferring to sleep in my own bed at home).

The desks are always complete chaos - pax just don't understand the concept of a queue.

jasepl Apr 15, 2012 5:43 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 18392177)
I've watched those horror videos on YouTube too, and they truly are horrible. I can't imagine being in a position like that.

That said, in the IRROPS I've experienced with AI, they have usually handled it competently. I've been rebooked onto another carrier every time but once, when I was offered a hotel (I declined, preferring to sleep in my own bed at home).

The desks are always complete chaos - pax just don't understand the concept of a queue.

Those of us who have lived those horrors aren't easily convinced, you tube or me tube.

As for the queues, as if AI have a special set of passengers at every airport they fly to. People are people, and need to be herded. AI can barely shepherd their own flock, so let's not go around blaming passengers for AI's failings.

SeeBuyFly Apr 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Well, actually it is the passengers who I fear most. Admittedly my last experience is decades old, but I don't think it has gotten better. I remember the children running around without any effort by the parents to control them, and I remember trying in vain to sleep while passengers stood in the aisle and held onto the back of my seat as they swayed and chatted loudly and drank alcohol. In general, the lack of any sense of personal space when in line and also on the plane.

Otherwise, AI is offering not only fast flights to BOM/DEL but great connections at DEL.

PVDtoDEL Apr 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 18398433)
Well, actually it is the passengers who I fear most. Admittedly my last experience is decades old, but I don't think it has gotten better. I remember the children running around without any effort by the parents to control them, and I remember trying in vain to sleep while passengers stood in the aisle and held onto the back of my seat as they swayed and chatted loudly and drank alcohol. In general, the lack of any sense of personal space when in line and also on the plane.

Otherwise, AI is offering not only fast flights to BOM/DEL but great connections at DEL.

No children running around or loud talking on my flight thankfully. However, I must admit that the passengers treat the aircraft horribly - these beautiful 777s have broken seats and perpetually dirty toilets because the passengers treat the aircraft so badly. Not to excuse the fact that AI should be actively remedying this problem, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable on the part of the pax.

indialogue Apr 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 18400501)
but it doesn't make it any more acceptable on the part of the pax.

Absolutely agree! I think AI (or for that matter any other airline) should have a clearly stated policy like restaurants have of "Admission rights reserved". Passengers who do not follow clear and simple standards of hygiene and behavior should be offloaded or blacklisted

jasepl Apr 16, 2012 3:02 am

The same people travel on other airlines too. Why don't we have BA cabins looking like a tornado went through them or Cathay toilets resembling a septic tank?

It's because AI staff don't care enough to police the passengers (and yes, people need policing, every where on every airline). And, let's face it, aesthetics has never been on AI's list of priorities (eg: sloppy meal presentation, worn out carpets, tatty cabins, unkempt crew...).

AJLondon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 am

Originally Posted by jasepl (Post 18401231)
The same people travel on other airlines too. Why don't we have BA cabins looking like a tornado went through them or Cathay toilets resembling a septic tank?

It's because AI staff don't care enough to police the passengers (and yes, people need policing, every where on every airline). And, let's face it, aesthetics has never been on AI's list of priorities (eg: sloppy meal presentation, worn out carpets, tatty cabins, unkempt crew...).

Well said!

Whether it be issues on the ground at check-in, onboard with the hard and soft product, or even in the case of irrops, there is one common denominator: AIR INDIA.

Other carriers, whether BA, LH, CX or even 9W, actually care and make the effort to deal with issues and manage problems. It is the sheer apathy of AI and it's staff that lead to these constant problems and diabolical service failures.

A2A Apr 16, 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by jasepl (Post 18401231)

they did not spare the new 787 either ;)

SeeBuyFly Apr 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 18400501)
...these beautiful 777s have broken seats and perpetually dirty toilets because the passengers treat the aircraft so badly.

I don't like my fellow countrymen when I'm on a plane with them, but I don't think they are particularly skilled at breaking seats. Messing up the toilets, sure, but broken seats are a sign of lack of maintenance.

It would be nice if FAs could firmly encourage people not to hang out in the aisles, not to pull down the seat in front of them when trying to get up, not drink too much (those 2-for-1 drinks should stop), etc. Perhaps other airlines give their FAs assigned to India flights more training in how to handle Indian passengers, or perhaps we are all afraid of memsahibs and behave better in their presence.

I have also seen Indian FAs (particularly on IC) yell at passengers, which also shows a lack of training.