Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Countdown begins.T-17 days. Will AI make it or not? let's have a poll. Not your wish, bu your opinion. I am neuetral on both. If I were sure that AI joining *Alliance meant that Jet would join Skyteam, I would wish AI to join Star.

Government officials, Star Alliance to talk next week

http://twocircles.net/2011jul14/gove...next_week.html

"A meeting with Star Alliance (officials) would be held July 18. Ministry officials, Air India representatives would be there in the meeting with Star Alliance," Arvind Jadhav, chairman-cum-managing director of Air India, told reporters on the sidelines of an industry event.

The meeting, according to Jadhav, is being held to take stock of the progress made by Air India to join the international airlines' network. The airline plans to join the Star Alliance network by July 31 this year.

The meeting is also expected to finalise the date of Air India's formal entry into Star Alliance.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:17 am

Countdown begins.T-17 days. Will AI make it or not? let's have a poll. Not your wish, bu your opinion. I am neuetral on both. If I were sure that AI joining *Alliance meant that Jet would join Skyteam, I would wish AI to join Star.
http://twocircles.net/2011jul14/gove...next_week.html

"A meeting with Star Alliance (officials) would be held July 18. Ministry officials, Air India representatives would be there in the meeting with Star Alliance," Arvind Jadhav, chairman-cum-managing director of Air India, told reporters on the sidelines of an industry event.

The meeting, according to Jadhav, is being held to take stock of the progress made by Air India to join the international airlines' network. The airline plans to join the Star Alliance network by July 31 this year.

The meeting is also expected to finalise the date of Air India's formal entry into Star Alliance.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
My bet is on AI joining. But after the official entrance, expect nothing for another couple of weeks, till Star Alliance threatens AI again to continue the integration with a deadline.

On AI's entrance, LH has the most to gain, 380 slots to DEL. On the opposing side, CO/UA will have something to lose, direct competition on BOM-EWR and to some extent on DEL-JFK, plus traffic draining DEL-ORD (where AA already has been hurt somewhat).

If AI can resolve all its external problems, AI can begin to steal away traffic from UACO, since one can interline from connecting cities to EWR and ORD on UA, since you would able to earn EQM and regular miles on AI.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:45 am
Suspended

What do you make of the alleged threat made by Albrecht "Two airlines from India i the alliance, or none" It sounds like a stupid, thoughtless ultimatum with no teeth.
AF/KL are also interested in introducing A380 to India, as is EK, LH is likely to be the first.
Are all gates in T3 able to accommodate A380?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:04 am

Wink

What do you make of the alleged threat made by Albrecht "Two airlines from India i the alliance, or none" It sounds like a stupid, thoughtless ultimatum with no teeth.
AF/KL are also interested in introducing A380 to India, as is EK, LH is likely to be the first.
Are all gates in T3 able to accommodate A380?
If it was a genuine threat I'm sure we would have heard and read more about it. At least in the India media there weren't any reports of a threat by any *A official. And I don't think the Indian Govt. would take it lightly if some outsiders threatened or criricised the Govt or AI. Looks what happened to Gustav Baldauf.

At the end of the day its a give and take between the Govt of India and Germany. You let us in *A and you will get the A380 slot.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyjet787
If it was a genuine threat I'm sure we would have heard and read more about it. At least in the India media there weren't any reports of a threat by any *A official. And I don't think the Indian Govt. would take it lightly if some outsiders threatened or criricised the Govt or AI. Looks what happened to Gustav Baldauf.

At the end of the day its a give and take between the Govt of India and Germany. You let us in *A and you will get the A380 slot.
If it had not been made, Mr Albrecht would have issued a denial. Since he did not, he did, at least intend to throw his weight around. It was smart of him to not repeat it.

I have said it before, I really have neither an opinion, nor preference on this issue. I would be delighted if AI were denied entry into Star Alliance and were forced to join Skyteam. I would also be OK if Jet Airways joined Skyteam. I have a slight preference for AI, as I 9W is an unknown to me and I have been thoroughly pleased with AI. ON the other hand, I would never know what I was missing if AI joined Skyteam, instead of 9W.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:25 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
It's getting close to the end of July, so when's the actual deadline for an official decision?

LAX
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Air India has five working days to meet *A requirements. It sounds like commonwealth episode, barely making it, or rest of the world conceding and pretending that everything is acceptable.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Interesting!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Air India has five working days to meet *A requirements. It sounds like commonwealth episode, barely making it, or rest of the world conceding and pretending that everything is acceptable.
I agree, I think that a 'fudge'of some sort will be arranged to let them in, AI for better or worse ( worse IMHO) has the backing of the Indian government and, in spite of comments allegedly made by Jan Albrecht, I don't see *A going out of their way to piss off the government of such a powerful, and growing, aviation market.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
I agree, I think that a 'fudge'of some sort will be arranged to let them in, AI for better or worse ( worse IMHO) has the backing of the Indian government and, in spite of comments allegedly made by Jan Albrecht, I don't see *A going out of their way to piss off the government of such a powerful, and growing, aviation market.
+1, LH has a large presence in India and I don't see them wishing to ruin the party.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
+1, LH has a large presence in India and I don't see them wishing to ruin the party.
Money does the talking for this buddy! It doesn't matter what he says as long as LH are willing to pay under the table for those landing slots they will keep on getting them. Air India is under the thumb of corrupt politicians who will sell any of its slots to the highest bidder.

You know how much a A320 pilot has to to pay now days to get a job at any of the airlines? 25-50L is the asking rate. Only Jet/KF is the one that doesn't have corrupt HR department.

Last edited by onlysuites; Jul 24, 2011 at 6:34 am
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
Only Jet/KF is the one that doesn't have corrupt HR department.
You talk as if you really know these two airlines very well huh.. You know KF has a policy that the commanders son/daughter/nephew etc. have priority over anyone else. There are ex-air force chaps in KF who have been flying on the RHS for 3-4 yrs with 3000hrs on type waiting for their command and in the mean while captains sons who have flown for 1-2 yrs with 1500 hrs on type are being given command ahead of the air force chaps. No wonder they keep leaving KF and join 6E.

And Jet. Well even they have a few guys who can get the job done under the table. Although in Jet you really need to have very high level of influence to get you through not like KF where if your dad is a capt the son will also get in.

Spice and Go-Air has a 1+1 offer. If a capt joins them he can bring along his relative.

Indigo. Their recruitment is out sourced to CAE. So there are a handful of people handling the recruitment of hundreds of pilots for their ever growing fleet. They made a S**T load of money and will continue to do so for the next couple of years.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyjet787
You talk as if you really know these two airlines very well huh...
Not really well, just have a friend in the Industry who keeps me updated on this type of stuff.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
Not really well, just have a friend in the Industry who keeps me updated on this type of stuff.
Ok. I am glad I could enlighten you with the facts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.