FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Agent or Online?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1204158-agent-online.html)

kathomas1999 Apr 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Agent or Online??

I reside in the US and planning to travel within India using the domestic airlines and probably a trip to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.

Do you get good prices by going through an agent or online? If online, are there meta-search sites like kayak that I could use to find good rates for domestic/international (DXB/AUH).

It seems like the older people use agents and younger folk do online..interested in hearing your experience and any tips.

Thanks

(PS did a quick search and didn't find a relevant answer in the old threads)

dd1612 Apr 10, 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by kathomas1999 (Post 16195240)
I reside in the US and planning to travel within India using the domestic airlines and probably a trip to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.

Do you get good prices by going through an agent or online? If online, are there meta-search sites like kayak that I could use to find good rates for domestic/international (DXB/AUH).

It seems like the older people use agents and younger folk do online..interested in hearing your experience and any tips.

Thanks

(PS did a quick search and didn't find a relevant answer in the old threads)

Usually for domestic flights I do an online search and depending upon schedules and Prices, I either make an online reservation - paid for with my US Credit card, either Visa, Mastercard or AMEX - with the airline directly (especially with the private airlines) or ask a relative to make a booking for me - for Air India or IC. The fees that brick and mortar travel agents add to the total is just ridiculous.
Same with India to neighboring countries - India - SIN or India - HKG.
Have never done India-Middle East.

abhilife2001 Apr 11, 2011 3:11 am

For domestic flights within India, check out makemytrip.com, ezeego.com, yatra.com,travelguru.com .. there are many global sites like travelocity.co.in etc alsoo..
I usually check out those sites, check the best fares and timings and then also check on that specific airline's site for prices.. Many times some of the above sites have some offers etc and sometimes the airline sites have offers.. If prices are the same or small difference, I book with airline site otherwise with the above sites..

Keyser Apr 14, 2011 12:18 pm

if you are interested then i can pm the details of a good travel agent so that you can compare prices....i always use a ta....simply because it saves me the hassle of booking myself & dealing with changes & cancellations....my ta does everything for me in a short phone call....

abhilife2001 Apr 22, 2011 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 16218483)
if you are interested then i can pm the details of a good travel agent so that you can compare prices....i always use a ta....simply because it saves me the hassle of booking myself & dealing with changes & cancellations....my ta does everything for me in a short phone call....

with the amount of flying u do and references u give them, he better does this ;)

Anish Apr 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Do a quick search on cleartrip.com or makemytrip.com to check fares and then compare them with a TA..

cleome Apr 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Anish (Post 16263638)
Do a quick search on cleartrip.com or makemytrip.com to check fares and then compare them with a TA..

+1

I normally find a TA cheaper.

Keyser Apr 23, 2011 2:08 am

Originally Posted by cleome (Post 16263705)
+1

I normally find a TA cheaper.

they are cheaper most of the time & the best part about a good ta is that you don't have to deal with the airline if something goes wrong....the ta would do it for you....

Anish Apr 23, 2011 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 16266157)
they are cheaper most of the time & the best part about a good ta is that you don't have to deal with the airline if something goes wrong....the ta would do it for you....

True.. Though I don't understand why the TAs are cheaper..

Shouldn't the airline sell the cheapest tickets on its own website/booking counter considering it's not paying a % to any 3rd party website or TA?

Keyser Apr 23, 2011 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Anish (Post 16266238)
True.. Though I don't understand why the TAs are cheaper..

Shouldn't the airline sell the cheapest tickets on its own website/booking counter considering it's not paying a % to any 3rd party website or TA?

if i remember correctly, i don't think ta's get commissions anymore so there is hardly a difference between the ta & airline prices....

hserus Apr 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 16266300)
if i remember correctly, i don't think ta's get commissions anymore so there is hardly a difference between the ta & airline prices....

Lets put it this way - TA fares are not always cheaper than airline fares. But a good TA is far better at putting you into a lower fare bucket (Z or D instead of J, or get you V where the airline keeps offering you half or zero mile earning buckets like S and W). Also good at waitlisting PNRs.

[this excludes corporate TAs - at least the one I'm stuck with - from all this .. I've had enough to do cleaning up the mess they make of even a simple booking change that I find it easier to call the airline direct - staff hired more for english speaking skills and a snooty attitude than for any particular skill with a GDS]

abhilife2001 Apr 24, 2011 6:10 am

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 16269850)
Lets put it this way - TA fares are not always cheaper than airline fares. But a good TA is far better at putting you into a lower fare bucket (Z or D instead of J, or get you V where the airline keeps offering you half or zero mile earning buckets like S and W). Also good at waitlisting PNRs.

+1

[this excludes corporate TAs - at least the one I'm stuck with - from all this .. I've had enough to do cleaning up the mess they make of even a simple booking change that I find it easier to call the airline direct - staff hired more for english speaking skills and a snooty attitude than for any particular skill with a GDS]

i face the same problem regularly.. our corp ta thru whom I need to make each and every ticket is :td:.. Heck, most of the time they get me fares higher than what is even shown on the web and when I tell them that, they say they cannot see that in their systems :eek:

Keyser Apr 24, 2011 6:13 am

over the last couple of year i've hardly found a difference between ta & airline rates....the max i've come about is inr 100 or so....

i completely agree with you on the other points....

Keyser Apr 24, 2011 6:15 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 16270902)
i face the same problem regularly.. our corp ta thru whom I need to make each and every ticket is :td:.. Heck, most of the time they get me fares higher than what is even shown on the web and when I tell them that, they say they cannot see that in their systems :eek:

you guys should use my ta....they are excellent....

abhilife2001 Apr 24, 2011 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 16270920)
you guys should use my ta....they are excellent....

atleast I cannot since our company has this global tie up with this agent !!! :mad: