India-based Airlines Chai Stall

Old Aug 5, 22, 11:04 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
That's what I am trying to figure out. How much would those taxes be?
You can price it out on ITA Matrix...
Old Aug 6, 22, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Are you able to find a way to extend those miles? Maybe call in and ask? Write also??
I believe EK offers a 1 year extension for $20 per 1,000 miles. Also, that is limited to 50K miles per year. I have more than that expiring & at that price it doesn't seem worth it.
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:09 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
There is currently no upgrade space but I have been told that EK will open up upgrade space once the ticket is bought. I initially thought about buying a Y ticket & upgrading but that doesn't work for me. The only reason I am looking to fly EK is because the miles are expiring. Upgrading on this sector would set me back 35K miles & I have almost double of that expiring.
I didn't know EK opens up upgrade space when you buy a ticket.

I see you're just trying to burn the miles... so if you're very confident upgrade space is going to open up - how about Y to F upgrades? Otherwise Y award + J upgrade would be the best bet. There is no sense paying the absurd YQs to burn your miles. Perhaps buy some other ticket several months down the road and figure it out later with a date change penalty? If you buy one ways I think you get the Flex Max Ultra Supreme pricing anyways that has some flexibility on date changes.
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
You can price it out on ITA Matrix...
I did. For an Economy ticket tax is 69.61 & YQ is 125.51 for a total of 195.12. For a Business ticket tax is 125.17 & YQ is 616.70 for a total of 741.87.

If I just have to pay the difference in tax then the upgrade is definitely worth it. I am just looking for clarity on that from anyone who has upgraded with EK before.
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I have been told is that there is very little to no upgrade availability before you purchase the ticket. Once you have bought the ticket & have put in a request for an upgrade then you are put on a waiting list, which is where EK opens up upgrade space. Not sure how well this works since I have never tried it before.

I see you're just trying to burn the miles... so if you're very confident upgrade space is going to open up - how about Y to F upgrades? Otherwise Y award + J upgrade would be the best bet. There is no sense paying the absurd YQs to burn your miles. Perhaps buy some other ticket several months down the road and figure it out later with a date change penalty? If you buy one ways I think you get the Flex Max Ultra Supreme pricing anyways that has some flexibility on date changes.
Unfortunately no F seats are available around my travel dates. If I don't use the miles for this trip then I'll end up doing a random booking & play around with the dates later but then again I'm not sure how date changes work with miles that have already expired.
Old Aug 6, 22, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This is a reminder why I try to avoid mileage programs with rigid expiration policies.
Old Aug 6, 22, 8:43 pm

Unfortunately no F seats are available around my travel dates. If I don't use the miles for this trip then I'll end up doing a random booking & play around with the dates later but then again I'm not sure how date changes work with miles that have already expired.
Yeah I understand where you're coming from. But my strategy still would be to not spend a ton of money to burn the miles. You could finally look at EK partners - JetBlue, Alaska etc. if you're traveling within the US... or JAL, Qantas, Korean, Malaysian etc.
Old Aug 7, 22, 12:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
AJ flying the FT flag in the 9 avgeeks that met at the QP launch:

Keyser and superboi like this.
Old Aug 12, 22, 12:16 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Looking for some guidance from anyone who is familiar with EK's Skywards program.

I had posted a similar question the the Emirates forum however have received no response.

I don't travel with EK much but still end up taking a couple of flights per year. Thanks to their 'My Family' program, I have a little over 100K miles at the moment. A large chunk of this is set to expire at the end of the month so I was looking to use this up.

The only non-work related travel I have in the foreseeable future is a trip to Monaco for a close friend's 50th birthday in October. If I were to fly EK on the way back home then there are currently 2 options available. An Economy Flex Plus ticket for 47,500 miles + 194.85 in taxes or a Business Flex Plus ticket for 88,750 miles + 740.64 in taxes.

The Economy ticket has a 35K miles option to upgrade to Business class so if I were to use this option then I would end up using 47.5K + 35K = 82.5K miles, which would be less than the Business Flex Plus option above. Also, not sure if I would have to pay anything extra in taxes if using the upgrade option since there is a big difference between taxes for the 2 tickets. However, while the fare is eligible for Miles Upgrades at any time, there is currently no upgrade availability right now.

So my questions for anyone familiar with the Skywards program are:

1. If the upgrade becomes available then I would have to pay an extra 35K miles. Would I also have to pay extra in taxes?

2. I can see that no upgrade availability is present currently on the Flex Plus option, no matter what date I check for. Does EK open up upgrade availability after the ticket is purchased & if so then do they do it closer to your travel date or is it random & can happen anytime?

hey,

1. No taxes, you'll only have to pay the difference in miles.

2. EK usually opens up upgrades anytime between 60 days-48 hours before departure. Try out a dummy booking sometime later this month or early next month and you see the option that "Upgrades are open" even before you book the ticket. Getting back to the topic, you never know when the upgrades open, as it also depends on the demand for the paying passengers in the J class.
However don't lose hope though, even if you don't make the cut 48 hours before departure, you can still try your luck out at check-in. If that doesn't work, if you see seats empty in the Business Class cabin after boarding and would like to be upgraded, you can contact the purser who will be able to complete your Reward Upgrade in the aircraft.

Source : I have plenty of experience with last minute upgrades on EK lol.
Old Aug 12, 22, 12:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion

Emirates doesn't allow Y to F upgrades. Its only Y to Premium Economy or Y to J (depends on the aircraft operating), Premium Economy to J or J to F.
My friend lucked out at LHR when trying to upgrade to Business Class from Economy. As per the new EK rules, that wasn't supposed to happen as the Premium Economy cabin was officially in service, but the systems couldn't recognize that and therefore scored them a reward upgrade to Business Class lol
Old Aug 12, 22, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qraec777 View Post
hey,

1. No taxes, you'll only have to pay the difference in miles.

2. EK usually opens up upgrades anytime between 60 days-48 hours before departure. Try out a dummy booking sometime later this month or early next month and you see the option that "Upgrades are open" even before you book the ticket. Getting back to the topic, you never know when the upgrades open, as it also depends on the demand for the paying passengers in the J class.
However don't lose hope though, even if you don't make the cut 48 hours before departure, you can still try your luck out at check-in. If that doesn't work, if you see seats empty in the Business Class cabin after boarding and would like to be upgraded, you can contact the purser who will be able to complete your Reward Upgrade in the aircraft.

Source : I have plenty of experience with last minute upgrades on EK lol.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I don't see the 'Upgrades are open' option on any single date from now till my travel date in October.
Old Sep 28, 22, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Vistara’s website for managing bookings online and for online check-in is quite glitchy today. Are they so hard up for money by selling lounge access that they just want to keep customers frozen there in hopes that the customers decide to buy unnecessary lounge access?!?!
Old Sep 30, 22, 7:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
SuperFlyBoy likes this.
Old Today, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
IIRC, the exchange rate was around 7.5 INR to the USD at the time. But those c. $1200 roundtrip fares between DEL and NYC in the early 1970s were expensive in real terms at the time, as that was when the median annual income for an American was less than $9,000 per year.

Search this Thread