Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9w del - mxp

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Taj IC Silver, *Gold, OW Ruby, 9W Gold, IT Gold
9w del - mxp

I am going to be travelling from Delhi to Milan with my wife in April this year. I have some upgrade vouchers I wanted to use for moving to Premiere, so I called the customer care and asked them if there was availability on my preferred dates. The rep. told me that there was only 1 seat available (then) on those dates. I am quite clueless as to how this works. Could the experienced FTers please help with the following:

1. If I book two tickets on the same PNR and take the upgrade offered for 1 seat, will I be on a priority list for upgrades over someone else who is travelling alone?

2. What are the chances that I would get the second upgrade also? When would I know for sure?

3. Are the upgrade vouchers refundable? Asking because if both of us don't get upgraded, I would rather cancel the upgrade request and travel Economy together than 1 Premiere and 1 Economy.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Bingham Boy
I am going to be travelling from Delhi to Milan with my wife in April this year. I have some upgrade vouchers I wanted to use for moving to Premiere, so I called the customer care and asked them if there was availability on my preferred dates. The rep. told me that there was only 1 seat available (then) on those dates. I am quite clueless as to how this works. Could the experienced FTers please help with the following:

1. If I book two tickets on the same PNR and take the upgrade offered for 1 seat, will I be on a priority list for upgrades over someone else who is travelling alone?

2. What are the chances that I would get the second upgrade also? When would I know for sure?

3. Are the upgrade vouchers refundable? Asking because if both of us don't get upgraded, I would rather cancel the upgrade request and travel Economy together than 1 Premiere and 1 Economy.
1. Probably not. Your wife or yourself will be on a waitlist, but the methodology of JP upgrades are not known at present. Plat status trumps everyone else.

2. Last minute - probably a day before the flight.

3. Yes, you have to physically hand them over - so no worries for you!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Taj IC Silver, *Gold, OW Ruby, 9W Gold, IT Gold
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
1. Probably not. Your wife or yourself will be on a waitlist, but the methodology of JP upgrades are not known at present. Plat status trumps everyone else.

2. Last minute - probably a day before the flight.

3. Yes, you have to physically hand them over - so no worries for you!
Thanks a ton, SFB. ^

Regarding #1, I am also a 9W Plat. Does that mean I'll have a better chance if I get my wife the confirmed voucher upgrade and place myself on the waitlist?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Thanks a ton, SFB. ^

Regarding #1, I am also a 9W Plat. Does that mean I'll have a better chance if I get my wife the confirmed voucher upgrade and place myself on the waitlist?
I would say so, yes.

After you do the wife, keep calling them every 2-3 days for confirmation if you really want to...
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:30 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I've flown DEL-MXP-DEL twice now. Lots of nice double miles, but I almost wished I hadn't paid for J due to the available upgrades! On all my flights Y was oversold and J virtually empty. On the last two flights we were 3 in J on the outbound with 0 free seats in Y, and 11 in J on the return, of whom 7 were upgrades due to overbooked Y.

Besides English, Hindi and italian, a lot of flight announcements were also done in punjabi. Lots of ATQ connections. Over 25 on one flight!

Anyways, I think you will have an exceptionally good chance of getting both upgrades cleared, especially as a Plat. (don't hold me to a/c though! As they say in FS, past performance is not an indicator of future returns . )

FYI, lounge in MXP is Sala Pergolese (probably misspelt!) but does a decent cold Italian spread of meats, sandwiches, mini pizzas etc. Also some excellent fresh Parmesan chunks. Prosecco is the sparkling wine. Make sure you get a lounge invite card from check-in!

Let me know if you need any further route-specific info.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by AJLondon
I've flown DEL-MXP-DEL twice now. Lots of nice double miles, but I almost wished I hadn't paid for J due to the available upgrades! On all my flights Y was oversold and J virtually empty. On the last two flights we were 3 in J on the outbound with 0 free seats in Y, and 11 in J on the return, of whom 7 were upgrades due to overbooked Y.
Yeah, in my last trip the FA was telling me that there was a brief lull in the DEL-MXP segment, but it has picked up again. So you might get lucky in that segment as well.

FYI, lounge in MXP is Sala Pergolese (probably misspelt!)
interesting, I did not get the lounge invitation when I asked for it at check-in. She did tell me that I could pay and get in.. Well, did not make a difference in the end, once I finished getting through passport control, it was almost time for boarding.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:07 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by dhavalgiani
interesting, I did not get the lounge invitation when I asked for it at check-in. She did tell me that I could pay and get in.. Well, did not make a difference in the end, once I finished getting through passport control, it was almost time for boarding.
lounge is definitely there, and certainly without having to pay for it. At least as a J pax I had no issue! If in Y, did you have 9W Plat/Gold status?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:21 am

lounge is definitely there, and certainly without having to pay for it. At least as a J pax I had no issue! If in Y, did you have 9W Plat/Gold status?
upgraded to J. Anyhow, as I said, it made no difference at the end of the day.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:23 am

It might be worth making a trip to the local 9w office. They were able to open up the inventory for me when I did my upgrade.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i was looking for 2 seats to upgrade to premičre for del-mxp in june but it seems there is only one seat available for the entire month....same thing in may & july....

i hate having to call my sources at jet to get upgrades cleared but they leave me no choice....
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Mrs Miles_Navigator and I are considering doing the MXP to DEL leg but we have to go to BOM. We are planning to use AA miles for Premiere/J seats.

How long of a lay over/connection time do we need in DEL for immigration, customers and recheck for the DEL to BOM flight?

Also, does the lounge in MXP have a shower?

Is there an international arrivals lounge in DEL for 9W J now; a place to take a shower and freshen up?

Last edited by miles_navigator; Mar 4, 2011 at 7:10 pm
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Mrs Miles_Navigator and I are considering doing the MXP to DEL leg but we have to go to BOM. We are planning to use AA miles for Premiere/J seats.

How long of a lay over/connection time do we need in DEL for immigration, customers and recheck for the DEL to BOM flight?

Also, does the lounge in MXP have a shower?

Is there an international arrivals lounge in DEL for 9W J now; a place to take a shower and freshen up?
2 hours would be enough in del....del does have an arrival lounge but i have never used it so can't comment on how good it is....
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Keyser
2 hours would be enough in del....
Okay, excellent that is good know 2 hours is plenty of time. May I get some details on how it works in the new terminal, i.e. is there a 9W bag-recheck counter before you exit customs so we don't have to go stand in line at the domestic counter?

Any differences re: luggage counts/pieces or will the international boarding pass from the MXP to DEL over ride on the DEL to BOM sector?

The 9W from DEL to BOM is Jet Konnect. We got 1 Premiere seat and 1 coach seat on that DEL to BOM Konnect flight. I read that you have to buy food on board but that's not a big deal for us (I doubt we will be that hungry after getting fed in J on MXP to DEL). Any other downsides I should know re: Jet Konnect? Otherwise we have to wait an additional 2 hours in DEL to the Jet Airways full service flight which doesn't seam worth it to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, excellent that is good know 2 hours is plenty of time. May I get some details on how it works in the new terminal, i.e. is there a 9W bag-recheck counter before you exit customs so we don't have to go stand in line at the domestic counter?
not quite sure about that....

Any differences re: luggage counts/pieces or will the international boarding pass from the MXP to DEL over ride on the DEL to BOM sector?
no difference....if you are connecting immediately then your international luggage allowance will count....

The 9W from DEL to BOM is Jet Konnect. We got 1 Premiere seat and 1 coach seat on that DEL to BOM Konnect flight. I read that you have to buy food on board but that's not a big deal for us (I doubt we will be that hungry after getting fed in J on MXP to DEL). Any other downsides I should know re: Jet Konnect? Otherwise we have to wait an additional 2 hours in DEL to the Jet Airways full service flight which doesn't seam worth it to me.
the biggest difference in jet & jet konnect is that konnect works like a lcc except for 8 business class seats where they have full service....in economy you have to buy your own food....i wouldn't wait an extra 2 hours as well for the full service flight....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.