Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet airways strict about baggage weight?

Jet airways strict about baggage weight?

Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
anything less than 3 kg is fine with most airlines..

+1.. unless we get into LH /OS on a bad day..
Ah, a friend had to take out some stuff because he was 3.5 kg overlimit on LH on a 20kg allowance.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Gemuse
Ah, a friend had to take out some stuff because he was 3.5 kg overlimit on LH on a 20kg allowance.
dont get me started on LH and OS from India.. on the return from EU I found it much easier with even 5kgs but not from India..
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
dont get me started on LH and OS from India.. on the return from EU I found it much easier with even 5kgs but not from India..
maybe it's because an abnormal percentage of passengers leaving India (whether natives or tourists) attempt to abuse the rules and throw temper tantrums when asked to pay? rules exist for a reason. if you need to take more than the stated limit, then either (a) pay for excess luggage quietly, with dignity, without cajoling or threatening the check in agent, (b) pay for a class of service that permits extra luggage or (c) ship the items ahead of time.

I have no sympathy for people that are flying deep discount Y tickets that are then attempting to stuff 30kg into luggage and then throwing DYKWIA temper tantrums when being asked to pay fees or remove items from luggage.

(and don't even get me started on the abuses on carry on luggage on flights to / from India)
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
rules exist for a reason.
What you said is all true, but dont you think the luggage limits are very low on LH, and the excess baggage fees exhorbitant when flying to Europe? And the fares not so low?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Was in J MAA-KUL last week and was at almost 50 kilos...no issues...

Same for MH...and LH actually from SIN to CGK...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:58 pm

What you said is all true, but dont you think the luggage limits are very low on LH, and the excess baggage fees exhorbitant when flying to Europe? And the fares not so low?
I don't find the luggage limits to be low and the fares to be exorbitant at all. If this is an issue, there are plenty of other carriers.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:27 am

maybe it's because an abnormal percentage of passengers leaving India (whether natives or tourists) attempt to abuse the rules and throw temper tantrums when asked to pay? rules exist for a reason. if you need to take more than the stated limit, then either (a) pay for excess luggage quietly, with dignity, without cajoling or threatening the check in agent, (b) pay for a class of service that permits extra luggage or (c) ship the items ahead of time.

I have no sympathy for people that are flying deep discount Y tickets that are then attempting to stuff 30kg into luggage and then throwing DYKWIA temper tantrums when being asked to pay fees or remove items from luggage.

(and don't even get me started on the abuses on carry on luggage on flights to / from India)
I am well aware of the reasons and dont disagree with you..
but what i mean is even when travelling from india to someplace, there are airlines which do give a lil flexibility and dont treat or demean u for 2-3 kgs .. SQ, TG, EK are one of the better ones which I base on my own and experiences from my colleagues...
The problem is not with charging but with the way it is all communicated and done.. and the airline can only gain more loyalty by giving 2-3 kgs grace..( am not asking 10kgs grace pls note)..
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
I once carried 18kg in my carry on bag (International segment). They measured it and were almost on the verge of charging me. Then they opened the bag and saw it the whole bag only contain sweet treats made by my mom and let me through with a smile.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:53 am

I am well aware of the reasons and dont disagree with you..
but what i mean is even when travelling from india to someplace, there are airlines which do give a lil flexibility and dont treat or demean u for 2-3 kgs .. SQ, TG, EK are one of the better ones which I base on my own and experiences from my colleagues...
The problem is not with charging but with the way it is all communicated and done.. and the airline can only gain more loyalty by giving 2-3 kgs grace..( am not asking 10kgs grace pls note)..
I understand that the problem can be with communication, and if treated poorly, then one should contact management and have it redressed. But if its a matter of policy, then vote with your wallet and move to SQ, TG and EK. From a policy stand point, however, if LH allowed each pax to have an extra 2 - 3 kilograms, and then it is found that the plane is 500 kilograms over the load, then I would be super annoyed if my luggage was randomly selected to be left behind in India. (This has happened to me before on US domestic flights, which means I have had to purchase toiletries and clothes at my destination and charged it to the carrier, which is an immense inconvenience to me). Policies exist for safety reasons, and once again, I have no problems with such policies being STRICTLY enforced. Savvy flyers should know better. Occasional flyers have a duty to be aware of rules and regulations - especially when luggage restrictions are readily available on all airline webpages, and are printed on tickets for people that still get old-school paper tickets.

Another thing - as for treatment, put yourself in the shoes of a check-in agent. More than likely, they have been berated and demeaned by a passenger very recently about this same issue, resulting in a callous and intolerant attitude about people trying to break the rules.

At a recent gathering, someone was complaining about luggage restrictions and how a certAAin AAirline tried to chAArge them $450 for extrAA luggAAge chAArges. "Aunty, have you heard of Fedex?" shut her up...
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I From a policy stand point, however, if LH allowed each pax to have an extra 2 - 3 kilograms, and then it is found that the plane is 500 kilograms over the load, then I would be super annoyed if my luggage was randomly selected to be left behind in India.
Oh come on; 500kg extra should be nothing for an airline, whats next, they are going to start weighing passengers to see if the plane is under limit?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:30 pm

Oh come on; 500kg extra should be nothing for an airline, whats next, they are going to start weighing passengers to see if the plane is under limit?
And that rationale justifies breaking stated policies? Like I said, if this issue is so important, vote with your wallet and fly with an airline that allows leeways.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:38 am

From a policy stand point, however, if LH allowed each pax to have an extra 2 - 3 kilograms, and then it is found that the plane is 500 kilograms over the load, then I would be super annoyed if my luggage was randomly selected to be left behind in India.

Policies exist for safety reasons, and once again, I have no problems with such policies being STRICTLY enforced.
No one is asking them to make it as a policy, but they can be considerate on a case to case basis..for eg.. u will well be aware of many many Indians living abroad and their parents going over to visit them.. I happenned to be standing in the J class check in line ( since I held status) and this elderly lady was in economy check in counter in Delhi of LH morning munich flt.. She had baggage problems and it was evident that she was travelling for the 1st time and i think it was something about 6kgs overweight.. they said u need to pay for 5 and gave some amount.. the lady politely said that pls allow, these just hv sweets etc for my son and his family and i dont want to leave them here.. he said in a curt tone.. as he has paid for the tickets, he might as well pay for the excess baggage for the sweets they r going to have !!!!
Ok, the above is just one incident i happenned to see, but I also hv faced curt responses in my earlier days and mostly from LH, OS ( i hv not flown fly other EU airlines from india yet).. What we expect is some understanding and politeness..

Another thing - as for treatment, put yourself in the shoes of a check-in agent. More than likely, they have been berated and demeaned by a passenger very recently about this same issue, resulting in a callous and intolerant attitude about people trying to break the rules.
Sorry, this doesnt help.. Its their job and they are trained to deal with customer behaviour.. its for any kind of customer facing job.. will I allow my banker to behave badly with me just because they hv had a bad day or my mobile call center caller ?? If they cannot handle it, then they need to move.. For some reason I feel that they treat as highhandedly though ofcourse this does not go for all agents..

At a recent gathering, someone was complaining about luggage restrictions and how a certAAin AAirline tried to chAArge them $450 for extrAA luggAAge chAArges. "Aunty, have you heard of Fedex?" shut her up...
I was speaking about being considerate for small excesses say 3-5kgs max..not big ones ...
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've said it before & i'll say it again, it all depends on the person checking you in....

the craziest experience i had was last year when i was flying from lhr-del....ideally the allowance is 28 kgs but because i was traveling in first, it went up to 69 kgs....i'm plat so i was allowed an additional 20kgs....i also have the jet plat card from citibank which gave me an extra 15 kgs (normally they don't allow this on international flights but the supervisor at check-in was really nice & she allowed it)....so i was allowed a total of 104 kgs....

even after all this extra allowance, my luggage was about 10 kgs overweight....all thanks to the 2 heavy bags of books & files i had carried for my arbitration....plus i had another bag full of shopping items that my wife asked me to get back....

i was ready to pay the excess baggage fee but the supervisor just let me go....very sweet of her for first including the extra allowance from my credit card & then waiving off the 10 kgs extra....
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by saad
i've said it before & i'll say it again, it all depends on the person checking you in....
+1 to this..
On a lighter note, no agent will dare to charge u if u r travelling in 1st,are 9W Plat and are already allowed 89kgs by default.. and once they know u r a lawyer no one dare touch u
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
+1 to this..
On a lighter note, no agent will dare to charge u if u r travelling in 1st,are 9W Plat and are already allowed 89kgs by default.. and once they know u r a lawyer no one dare touch u
i guess the big bold writing of my name, designation & law firm on my files bag gave me away....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.