Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding Compensation Entitlement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:21 pm
IDT
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club

Can someone tell me if Jet Airways has an obligation to compensate passengers, or provide other assistance, such as hotels or meals, when they deny boarding due to overbooking?

This happened to me on a flight originating outside the EU, so the EU Denied Boarding Regulations do not apply. The airline has twice refused to pay any compensation. I have been unable to find anything stating that I am entitled to compensation, so assume I will end up footing the hotel bill, etc., myself.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
do you have status with jet????

the only time i was denied boarding was a couple of years ago & they upgraded me from business to first on the next available flight a few hours later....
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by IDT
Can someone tell me if Jet Airways has an obligation to compensate passengers, or provide other assistance, such as hotels or meals, when they deny boarding due to overbooking?

This happened to me on a flight originating outside the EU, so the EU Denied Boarding Regulations do not apply. The airline has twice refused to pay any compensation. I have been unable to find anything stating that I am entitled to compensation, so assume I will end up footing the hotel bill, etc., myself.
Isn't this a given in such situations? I can't believe one would have to ask for this when it is their fault.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by saad
do you have status with jet????

I dont think this shd make a difference though chances of them playing arnd with elites would be less BUT if they denied boarding due to overbooking, IMO they will be bound by some law ( maybe not as famous as EU 261)..

I once missed an intl connection because of 9W arriving late and they arranged hotel acco, transfers and meals 24hrs before the next intl connection on that airline .. but this is a different issue but the pax gets stranded without any fault of his..
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I dont think this shd make a difference though chances of them playing arnd with elites would be less BUT if they denied boarding due to overbooking, IMO they will be bound by some law ( maybe not as famous as EU 261)..
i think status in situations like this really help....jet once ofered to put me up for a night in brussels when there was a problem with their plane a few years ago....i was plat & traveling in first....i don't think they offered this to too many others on the flight....
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:22 am

i think status in situations like this really help....jet once ofered to put me up for a night in brussels when there was a problem with their plane a few years ago....i was plat & traveling in first....i don't think they offered this to too many others on the flight....
IMHO status definitely helps in the sense it gets u priority over non status pax, it may get u some addl benefits BUT I mean in the eg u gave even a non status pax would get the basic acco + boarding expenses IMO.. if not then 9w is not doing right .. as mentioned luckily for me, I had no status with them and they still gave me acco + food + transfer but I hope this is their regular practice and not one off..
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO status definitely helps in the sense it gets u priority over non status pax, it may get u some addl benefits BUT I mean in the eg u gave even a non status pax would get the basic acco + boarding expenses IMO.. if not then 9w is not doing right .. as mentioned luckily for me, I had no status with them and they still gave me acco + food + transfer but I hope this is their regular practice and not one off..
it would be ideal if the airline paid for accomodation if they themselves are at fault....
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it would be ideal if the airline paid for accomodation if they themselves are at fault....
Have you know someone or peronally had an experience where they were not taken care of due to the airlines's fault? Still in disbelief, where is the airline industry headed?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Have you know someone or peronally had an experience where they were not taken care of due to the airlines's fault? Still in disbelief, where is the airline industry headed?
like i said before, the airline took care of me the only time i have been denied boarding....

but i have come across issues with various airlines where they have cancelled my flight & either left me high & dry or put me on another flight or given hotel accomodation....

i remember once jet blue cancelled the first leg of my flight & because of that i wouldn't have made it to my international connection from ny on time....they simply didn't care....they told me i could either take my money back or wait for their next flight to ny 8 hours later....another time aa's flight was delayed & i would once again miss my international connection....they did absolutely nothing & informed me at the last minute....i could not make it in time for my international flight, no matter what other flight i would have taken....aa refused to give me money for a hotel as i had to spend the night in ny in order to catch my international flight the next day....

on the other hand, one time my ba flight from lhr - jfk was delayed & i missed my connecting flight....ba put me up at a hotel for the night....a couple of years ago jet put me up at the sheraton brussels airport when they had a problem with their plane & could not get me a first or business class seat on another airline on the same day....
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

another time aa's flight was delayed & i would once again miss my international connection....they did absolutely nothing & informed me at the last minute....i could not make it in time for my international flight, no matter what other flight i would have taken....aa refused to give me money for a hotel as i had to spend the night in ny in order to catch my international flight the next day....

What was the reason for the delay - was it AA's fault? I know LCC's will do this to us.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
What was the reason for the delay - was it AA's fault? I know LCC's will do this to us.
yes, it was aa's fault....i don't remember the exact reason though....

don't even get me started on lcc's....i was once flying langkawi - kuala lumpur - singapore on air asia....air asia delayed the first leg of my trip so i missed my connection to singapore....air asia did nothing....they didn't refund my money as well....i had to buy a new ticket....
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:41 am

don't even get me started on lcc's.....
In all fairness, Lcc's they clearly say that they r only point-point carriers and r not responsible otherwise and thts a risk all of us take when flying with them.. AA's experience is more surprising..
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In all fairness, Lcc's they clearly say that they r only point-point carriers and r not responsible otherwise and thts a risk all of us take when flying with them
i'm not complaning about llcs....i'm just stating my experience where the airline would not refund my money even though i was using the same airline for the whole trip....i would also like to point out that my original ticket was from langkawi to singapore direct....but then they cancelled that flight & forced me to buy the connecting ticket....still, with the llc prices i wouldn't expect anything else....
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Yes, status does help. I have offered to give up my seat in an overbooking situation and have been offered compensation. Sometimes they have offered compensation for giving up my seat, but I declined as I could not afford any delays.
I have always been given a hotel and meal vouchers for mechanical delays. On one occasion, they gave us 2 rooms for my two children, my wife and I. When we walked off the jetway in Tokyo, we were met by an agent who was carrying a placard with our names. everything, including the first flight available the next day had already been booked. She apologised for not having a family suite and asked if two rooms were acceptable. Actually they would have had to get four rooms for four unrelated passengers. All four of us were Platinums. Non elites had to stand in line to have their travel arrangements made after arrival.

I have been given a hotel even in case of weather related delays quite a few times. Sometimes the agent on the spot does not know. I make them call the elite line, which tells them to book me a hotel room.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:03 pm
Suspended

don't even get me started on lcc's....i was once flying langkawi - kuala lumpur - singapore on air asia....air asia delayed the first leg of my trip so i missed my connection to singapore....air asia did nothing....they didn't refund my money as well....i had to buy a new ticket....
I have heard of an incident with AA too. My nephew, dpesite my advice to the contrary, booked his LAX to DEL trip via ORD and ZRH. I had advised him against buying two separate tickets, LAX-ORD (AA) and ORD-ZRH DEL on LX, during the busy Christmas season. His LAX-ORD flight was late arriving in ORD, which made him miss his LX flight. LX told himt that they would try to accommodate him on a standby basis during the following days, but could not guarantee him a seat. He did get a hotel from AA in ORD for one night. He was stuick in ORD with no sign of being able to get out. We had to book him on AI so that he could get home.
Was your itinerary, by any chance two separate tickets? The danger about two separate tickets on different airlines is that if you miss the second airline's flight due to delay caused by the first airline, you are out of luck.

However, if the two tickets are bought in conjunction, you are protected. In conjuncted tickets, one airline validates the fare even if there are two separate non partner airlines. Often, conjuncting two tickets raises the farebasis.
I too have travelled o0n two separate tickets on two different airlines, but I am aware of the risks involved. It's very risky at busy times, such as the week before Christmas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.