BOM - DEL...prices for biz class

Old Jun 3, 10, 5:11 am
Original Poster

BOM - DEL...prices for biz class

As part of my upcoming trip to India I need to book a one way BOM-DEL. Ideally I would like to fly in biz class, but the price difference is pretty big. For all the main airlines, economy is priced at about INR 3500 & biz is around INR 17000. At these prices, economy will be just fine!

Does anyone know if you can get discounted biz fares? Would be happy to pay double or triple economy, but not 5 times the price!

Have tried all the local web sites (ie expedia.in, travelocity.in etc)

Many thanks in advance
Old Jun 3, 10, 5:26 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER View Post
As part of my upcoming trip to India I need to book a one way BOM-DEL. Ideally I would like to fly in biz class, but the price difference is pretty big. For all the main airlines, economy is priced at about INR 3500 & biz is around INR 17000. At these prices, economy will be just fine!

Does anyone know if you can get discounted biz fares? Would be happy to pay double or triple economy, but not 5 times the price!

Many thanks in advance
Its not that Biz is 5x of economy. On the contrary, those are the regular Biz fares. Its just that economy has been severely discounted - to probably just around 30% of the full Y fare. If its any consolation, you could upgrade to Biz with miles if the airline permits (eg 9W does) - but may not be worth it.
Old Jun 3, 10, 5:57 am

Programs: BMI & BA

Many thanks in advance
I tried last year both here in the UK and when I got to India.

In the end I used some orphaned EK miles to fly 9W in Business. Considering the price difference, it was a good use of miles in my view.
Old Jun 3, 10, 9:00 am
Original Poster

I've got no spare miles, so looks like I'll have to slum it!

So do the airlines not sell restricted biz class fare for internals then?

To give some comparison, I have bought a biz class flight from Del to Ktm for about INR 10,000
Old Jun 3, 10, 1:16 pm

Programs: BMI & BA
I've got no spare miles, so looks like I'll have to slum it!

So do the airlines not sell restricted biz class fare for internals then?

To give some comparison, I have bought a biz class flight from Del to Ktm for about INR 10,000
Aside from the occasional promotion run by the airlines, I've never seen sale fares between the 'metros' (Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Madras). Load factors must be good on those sectors.
Old Jun 3, 10, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Domestically in India, i would not go beyond 9W mainline Y or Kingfisher (mainline or RED).

In my opinion, J is not worth it. Granted that you get a bigger seat and food comes in a plate but it is the same food as Y but dressed up. No Alcohol on domestic flights and lounges are nothing to shout about.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
Old Jun 3, 10, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN
+1 to the above. BOM-DEL is a relatively short flight, Y should be fine, especially since service levels in Y on most carriers is quite high.
Old Jun 4, 10, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
You could consider trading a JP upgrade voucher from CC but then you need to book in K class or higher and that is normally around 7k if I remember correctly. Not sure what a JP voucher trades for now days.
Old Jun 4, 10, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
have you looked at https://www.optiontown.com/ for kingfisher flights????

you can also look at http://goair.in/gocomfort_more1.asp for their 'go business' option....while its not like other business class seats, its still better than economy....
Old Jun 4, 10, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saad View Post
have you looked at https://www.optiontown.com/ for kingfisher flights????

you can also look at http://goair.in/gocomfort_more1.asp for their 'go business' option....while its not like other business class seats, its still better than economy....
What is the boards success rate with optiontown? Is there a certain fare bucket to hlp/guarantee the upgrade?
Old Jun 4, 10, 10:30 am

Tried Optiontown for IT. However as noted below.

"Please be advised that due to a recent policy change by Kingfisher Airlines, currently only Y and K Fare Classes are eligible for upgrades and if you are booked on a different fare class, we recommend you not to Sign-up currently and check back later for any change(s) in this rule."

Y and K fares are very close to J. They are not discounted.
Old Jun 4, 10, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
low cost options for Biz class in India

What is the boards success rate with optiontown? Is there a certain fare bucket to hlp/guarantee the upgrade?
Optiontown used to be great with high success rate but with recent changes is not as attractive.

Jet Airways has a wierd upgrade - you can upgrade mileage awards domestically for INR 1,000 (less than $25 USD) from economy to business.

GoAir has GoBusiness, which is not a true business product but a little better than Southwest Business Select. It gives you increased baggage allowance, seating in the first few rows (2 rows when I used it a few times), only 2 per row in the same 3 person row (effectively you have the middle seat free), free meal on board, etc. For a short BOM-DEL, it may be worth it if GoAir flies that route. The fare difference is typically INR 1,000 (less than $25).

Depending on load factors, you do see discounts between 25% and 50% on some routes for 9W and IT but I have not heard of this much on BOM-DEL.

If you're flying often, they used to have book of coupons which made J on 9W and IT fairly comparable to economy. Not sure if that is still available. Look under promotions in the airline websites.
Old Jun 4, 10, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

I have to say, I congratulate the domestic airlines on being able to maintain these high prices in biz. Am more than willing to slum it in economy for the price diff, but good on them for managing to keep the price so high compared to econ
Old Jun 4, 10, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by enjoystravel View Post
If you're flying often, they used to have book of coupons which made J on 9W and IT fairly comparable to economy. Not sure if that is still available. Look under promotions in the airline websites.
even with the coupons j was never comparable to economy....i remember a couple of years ago the 4 coupon booklets were available for inr 40k which basically meant inr 10k per sector....given that economy was around inr 3k on the del-bom sector, it was never comparable....

now the 4 coupon booklet is for inr 68,800 so basically inr 17,200 per tickets....again, not at all comparable to economy....
Old Jun 5, 10, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by saad View Post

now the 4 coupon booklet is for inr 68,800 so basically inr 17,200 per tickets....again, not at all comparable to economy....
The coupon booklet does not cover fuel surcharges. Which can be

Search this Thread
Search Engine: