BOM - DEL...prices for biz class

Old Jun 3, 10, 5:11 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 814
BOM - DEL...prices for biz class

As part of my upcoming trip to India I need to book a one way BOM-DEL. Ideally I would like to fly in biz class, but the price difference is pretty big. For all the main airlines, economy is priced at about INR 3500 & biz is around INR 17000. At these prices, economy will be just fine!

Does anyone know if you can get discounted biz fares? Would be happy to pay double or triple economy, but not 5 times the price!

Have tried all the local web sites (ie expedia.in, travelocity.in etc)

Many thanks in advance
MANCHESTER is offline  
Old Jun 3, 10, 5:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: All over India
Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Posts: 814
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER View Post
As part of my upcoming trip to India I need to book a one way BOM-DEL. Ideally I would like to fly in biz class, but the price difference is pretty big. For all the main airlines, economy is priced at about INR 3500 & biz is around INR 17000. At these prices, economy will be just fine!

Does anyone know if you can get discounted biz fares? Would be happy to pay double or triple economy, but not 5 times the price!

Have tried all the local web sites (ie expedia.in, travelocity.in etc)

Many thanks in advance
Its not that Biz is 5x of economy. On the contrary, those are the regular Biz fares. Its just that economy has been severely discounted - to probably just around 30% of the full Y fare. If its any consolation, you could upgrade to Biz with miles if the airline permits (eg 9W does) - but may not be worth it.
aniruddh77 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 10, 5:57 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, SW15
Programs: BMI & BA
Posts: 2,355
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER View Post
As part of my upcoming trip to India I need to book a one way BOM-DEL. Ideally I would like to fly in biz class, but the price difference is pretty big. For all the main airlines, economy is priced at about INR 3500 & biz is around INR 17000. At these prices, economy will be just fine!

Does anyone know if you can get discounted biz fares? Would be happy to pay double or triple economy, but not 5 times the price!

Have tried all the local web sites (ie expedia.in, travelocity.in etc)

Many thanks in advance
I tried last year both here in the UK and when I got to India.

In the end I used some orphaned EK miles to fly 9W in Business. Considering the price difference, it was a good use of miles in my view.
baggageinhall is offline  
Old Jun 3, 10, 9:00 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 814
I've got no spare miles, so looks like I'll have to slum it!

So do the airlines not sell restricted biz class fare for internals then?

To give some comparison, I have bought a biz class flight from Del to Ktm for about INR 10,000
MANCHESTER is offline  
Old Jun 3, 10, 1:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, SW15
Programs: BMI & BA
Posts: 2,355
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER View Post
I've got no spare miles, so looks like I'll have to slum it!

So do the airlines not sell restricted biz class fare for internals then?

To give some comparison, I have bought a biz class flight from Del to Ktm for about INR 10,000
Aside from the occasional promotion run by the airlines, I've never seen sale fares between the 'metros' (Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Madras). Load factors must be good on those sectors.
baggageinhall is offline  
Old Jun 3, 10, 1:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Posts: 2,384
Domestically in India, i would not go beyond 9W mainline Y or Kingfisher (mainline or RED).

In my opinion, J is not worth it. Granted that you get a bigger seat and food comes in a plate but it is the same food as Y but dressed up. No Alcohol on domestic flights and lounges are nothing to shout about.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
d3vski is offline  
Old Jun 3, 10, 2:58 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,829
+1 to the above. BOM-DEL is a relatively short flight, Y should be fine, especially since service levels in Y on most carriers is quite high.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 10, 2:11 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,395
You could consider trading a JP upgrade voucher from CC but then you need to book in K class or higher and that is normally around 7k if I remember correctly. Not sure what a JP voucher trades for now days.
onlysuites is online now  
Old Jun 4, 10, 5:28 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,826
have you looked at https://www.optiontown.com/ for kingfisher flights????

you can also look at http://goair.in/gocomfort_more1.asp for their 'go business' option....while its not like other business class seats, its still better than economy....
Keyser is offline  
Old Jun 4, 10, 9:10 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 814
Originally Posted by saad View Post
have you looked at https://www.optiontown.com/ for kingfisher flights????

you can also look at http://goair.in/gocomfort_more1.asp for their 'go business' option....while its not like other business class seats, its still better than economy....
What is the boards success rate with optiontown? Is there a certain fare bucket to hlp/guarantee the upgrade?
MANCHESTER is offline  
Old Jun 4, 10, 10:30 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ORD
Posts: 723
Tried Optiontown for IT. However as noted below.

"Please be advised that due to a recent policy change by Kingfisher Airlines, currently only Y and K Fare Classes are eligible for upgrades and if you are booked on a different fare class, we recommend you not to Sign-up currently and check back later for any change(s) in this rule."

Y and K fares are very close to J. They are not discounted.
rsh913 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 10, 3:45 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: California
Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,231
low cost options for Biz class in India

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER View Post
What is the boards success rate with optiontown? Is there a certain fare bucket to hlp/guarantee the upgrade?
Optiontown used to be great with high success rate but with recent changes is not as attractive.

Jet Airways has a wierd upgrade - you can upgrade mileage awards domestically for INR 1,000 (less than $25 USD) from economy to business.

GoAir has GoBusiness, which is not a true business product but a little better than Southwest Business Select. It gives you increased baggage allowance, seating in the first few rows (2 rows when I used it a few times), only 2 per row in the same 3 person row (effectively you have the middle seat free), free meal on board, etc. For a short BOM-DEL, it may be worth it if GoAir flies that route. The fare difference is typically INR 1,000 (less than $25).

Depending on load factors, you do see discounts between 25% and 50% on some routes for 9W and IT but I have not heard of this much on BOM-DEL.

If you're flying often, they used to have book of coupons which made J on 9W and IT fairly comparable to economy. Not sure if that is still available. Look under promotions in the airline websites.
enjoystravel is offline  
Old Jun 4, 10, 6:16 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 814
I have to say, I congratulate the domestic airlines on being able to maintain these high prices in biz. Am more than willing to slum it in economy for the price diff, but good on them for managing to keep the price so high compared to econ
MANCHESTER is offline  
Old Jun 4, 10, 11:57 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,826
Originally Posted by enjoystravel View Post
If you're flying often, they used to have book of coupons which made J on 9W and IT fairly comparable to economy. Not sure if that is still available. Look under promotions in the airline websites.
even with the coupons j was never comparable to economy....i remember a couple of years ago the 4 coupon booklets were available for inr 40k which basically meant inr 10k per sector....given that economy was around inr 3k on the del-bom sector, it was never comparable....

now the 4 coupon booklet is for inr 68,800 so basically inr 17,200 per tickets....again, not at all comparable to economy....
Keyser is offline  
Old Jun 5, 10, 10:02 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ORD
Posts: 723
Originally Posted by saad View Post

now the 4 coupon booklet is for inr 68,800 so basically inr 17,200 per tickets....again, not at all comparable to economy....
The coupon booklet does not cover fuel surcharges. Which can be
rsh913 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: