Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Tonight's Event is sponsored by Independence air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

I went to the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra tonight and DH was one of the top sponsors. They were the official airline and had their name throughout the program. Seemed a little odd that they would be spending money on something like that.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:27 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Did they play some of the same music played when the Titanic sank?
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:27 am

Programs: MR Gold, *wood Gold, HHonors Silver, UA 1K
They also had a major sponsorship as the Official Airline of the Washington Redskins. The banner was recently taken off the Redskins webpage. In early December, they sponsored the BB&T basketball classic in DC and gave out can huggers. I still have a few of them. Just yesterday, I went to a concert and the back of the ticket had the Flyi logo on it with "Washington's Hometown Airline." I guess all these sponsorships were bought and paid for and we may see them for a while longer. Kind of sad.

Last edited by FlyingTerp; Jan 15, 2006 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
I went to the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra tonight and DH was one of the top sponsors. They were the official airline and had their name throughout the program. Seemed a little odd that they would be spending money on something like that.
The symphony probably got that money a long time ago and the programs printed well in advance....

DH probably won't need the tax deduction though and their planes won't be going by those pink birds at SYR !

Bob H
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: V-Flyer Black
Expect of the Redskins deal; most of the sponsorships were done without cash. Free tickets were given to the company/group to in exchange for sponsorship.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum Medallion, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingTerp
They also had a major sponsorship as the Official Airline of the Washington Redskins.
Yet Dan Snyder chartered United Airlines aircraft to fly the Redskins to road games. Pretty damned funny.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

my point is that they didn't have the money to do all that
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:13 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
But if they just traded tickets for the publicity, I'm sure it was as a measured investment to get some new customers without having to pay too much for marketing.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:50 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
my point is that they didn't have the money to do all that
Young man,

One thing you will learn in your more wiser years is that the bankroll for the operations budget is watched very very closely, yet the bankroll for advertising and sales is almost unlimited.

After all, if you don't spend money to advertise, how can you get people in the door to spend money on your product?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Seat2C
Yet Dan Snyder chartered United Airlines aircraft to fly the Redskins to road games. Pretty damned funny.
i'd charter united too, i mean, you want to make sure you can actually get your team to the games! they would have needed greyhound to get to seattle this weekend!

and yes, flyi did a sponsorship with ticketmaster i believe. i work in the box office at the mci center, and every ticket was have has "washington's hometown airline...flyi" on the back. and i remember back in october thinking, "not for long."
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Seat2C

What was he going to do, put them all (and equipment) on RJs??? Oh, that's right, they could have put 75 or so people (players, coaches, trainers, etc.) and all the equipment on an A319. The Denver Broncos always charter a UA 767 and I suspect that's what the Redskins usually do.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

The 'play bill' had them listed in the $25,000+ section

Originally Posted by StSebastian
But if they just traded tickets for the publicity, I'm sure it was as a measured investment to get some new customers without having to pay too much for marketing.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DENPremEx
What was he going to do, put them all (and equipment) on RJs??? Oh, that's right, they could have put 75 or so people (players, coaches, trainers, etc.) and all the equipment on an A319. The Denver Broncos always charter a UA 767 and I suspect that's what the Redskins usually do.
So who gets to sit in first and who goes in the back. also, isn't a 767 a little big i mean it has about 240 seats.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
So who gets to sit in first and who goes in the back. also, isn't a 767 a little big i mean it has about 240 seats.

Yes, a 767 is a little large but it gives them room to spread out. I don't know for sure but I imagine the coaching staff takes the few F seats and spills into C accompanied by team captains and other long timers/All Pros. I imagine everyone else grabs a few coach seats. I'm sure the O and D lines take 2 seats, one for each @$$ cheek. Don't forget all the equipment. I'm sure that's a lot of cargo for a smaller aircraft.

Once Denver beats Pitt this weekend you can track Denver's flight to Detroit, its always flight 9202.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA1K
university of tennessee charters a DL 767. it's not just the football team that goes. i'm sure you have members of the media, and maybe family members as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.