Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Collection of Alternatives for Independence Ticket Holders

Old Jan 7, 06, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Here is a collection of links to airlines offering deals or standby travel for those holding Independence Air Tickets.

http://thetravelbloggers.com/2006/01...air-travelers/
Old Jan 7, 06, 5:36 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I Don't Understand How They Can Practically Block Refunds/Charge Backs

Most of the other airline standby offers state that if the pax uses the other airline offer they are prohibitted from getting a refund from FlyI, etc.

I don't understand how practically this could be done. For example, suppose a pax has a DH ticket and ends up going standby on another airline. Then the pax disputes the DH ticket with his/her credit card company. How is the credit card company to know that the pax was able to pay the $50 standby fee on the other airline. Also if FlyI does get BK court approval to do the involuntary refunds for travel after 1/5, how will FlyI know whether any given pax was able to standby on another airline.

True they could set up some kind of clearinghouse to track these things, but it would seem to require an extensive bureaucracy between credit card companies, FlyI, and all the other airlines. Who would pay for the setup, systems integration, staffing, and other logistics that would be involved in setting up such a clearinghouse?

So I think the truth is the pax can get the $50 standby and still get a FlyI refund either if FlyI does it themselves or through the pax credit card company?
Old Jan 7, 06, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Great question. I do not know that answer. When passengers are transfered from one airline to another, what is the internal system the airlines use. Would this same system be used?
Old Jan 7, 06, 8:04 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
This Is Different Than Standard Pax Airline To Airline Transfers

Normally when a pax is transferred it is under what is called rule 120.20 and the receiving airline receives the face value of the e-ticket or paper ticket coupons which are transferred. Each airline in the transfer must have an agreement which all the majors but not all lcc's do. But in this case, the receiving airline will not receive any compensation from DH for accommodating the DH customer. Airlines are being required to accommodate the DH customers due to the law regarding airlines shutting down operations.

I think this practically means that a ccustomer could both obtain a refund and get accommodated for $50 standby each way (or free on WN) on the same general routing. WN is the only airline not charging the $50 standby fee.
Old Jan 8, 06, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Normally when a pax is transferred it is under what is called rule 120.20 and the receiving airline receives the face value of the e-ticket or paper ticket coupons which are transferred. Each airline in the transfer must have an agreement which all the majors but not all lcc's do. But in this case, the receiving airline will not receive any compensation from DH for accommodating the DH customer. Airlines are being required to accommodate the DH customers due to the law regarding airlines shutting down operations.

I think this practically means that a ccustomer could both obtain a refund and get accommodated for $50 standby each way (or free on WN) on the same general routing. WN is the only airline not charging the $50 standby fee.
Thanks for the information, Jetsetter.
Old Jan 8, 06, 1:11 pm

There are two questions. Legally, you can't do it. If you get a credit card refund, they'll require you to say you didn't get the service you paid for, and that you turn any recovery over to the credit card company. If you take the flight anyway, you're comitting fraud.

The other question is, can you commit fraud and get away with it? That I can't answer, and I'm not going to find out.
Old Jan 9, 06, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanh
There are two questions. Legally, you can't do it. If you get a credit card refund, they'll require you to say you didn't get the service you paid for, and that you turn any recovery over to the credit card company. If you take the flight anyway, you're comitting fraud.

The other question is, can you commit fraud and get away with it? That I can't answer, and I'm not going to find out.
I agree that fraud is not the way to go. The key thing is that many of the people who are holding Independence Air tickets need to know the alternatives they face. That is why I included the link to the page with the different opportunities by other airlines. The link is at the top of the page.
Old Jan 9, 06, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jetsetter

I was wondering, do we know for fact that the accomodating airlines aren't getting the revenue? The law doesn't say that the airlines get revenue, but is there anything stopping the airlines from seeking the revenue?
Customers seeking a refund, if they purchased the ticket within the timeframe specified under the Fair Credit Billing Act (within 2 statements cycles?) get their money back under that law. Could the airlines follow the procedure that customers who booked their tickets farther in advance must follow?

Search this Thread